Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removable back panel section modification.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkb944t
I have added a much needed access panel to make servicing the engine much easier but it would be nice to take it one step further. With the back pad off it is very quick to access but you have to remove the whole back pad to get to it.

Click to view attachment

It would be awesome if the back pad had a removable section that would pop out to allow access to the firewall panel like the picture below.

Click to view attachment

This might be something Mark at 914Rubber could come up with if there was enough interest.

Jeff B
porschetub
I will be cutting one in to my car when the motor comes out again,I was thinking to just remove the backpad for belt tensioning/changes and setting timing not something you do too often hopefully.
Did you use nutserts to hold your cover on?.
Nice car by the way smile.gif
Dave_Darling
I know people who have made the whole center section removable. They used velcro to hold it onto the seat recesses.

Sounds like at least a decent possibility.

--DD
jkb944t
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 29 2016, 01:51 PM) *

I will be cutting one in to my car when the motor comes out again,I was thinking to just remove the backpad for belt tensioning/changes and setting timing not something you do too often hopefully.
Did you use nutserts to hold your cover on?.
Nice car by the way smile.gif

Since the car was stripped to bare metal I was able to weld SST M6 nuts on the engine side of the firewall. I then ran a tap through them to clean them up after welding.

Thanks for the compliment, I am really proud of how it is coming out and it is a blast to drive.

Jeff B
jkb944t
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 29 2016, 04:35 PM) *

I know people who have made the whole center section removable. They used velcro to hold it onto the seat recesses.

Sounds like at least a decent possibility.

--DD

That may be a possible solution. I even thought that if just the bottom section of the center section was separate and use Velcro to hold it in.

Jeff B
jpnovak
I use PEM studs pulled into the sheet metal for the access panel. Works great and has minimal intrusion on the backside. A few small button hex bolts gets it done on the inside.

The velcro rear panel is a great idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.