Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SS 914-6 Heat Exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
Looking to buy a pair of stainless steel heat exchangers for our 6 where's the best place to buy them
Thanks B
mepstein
Ben mc farland - mb911 here.
Tom_T
All of the SS ones would be Dansk/SSI & carried by most Porsche parts places & some dealers, so you can google for best price on the parts, & cross-check those with Mark's contact.

There may be some older SSI NOS ones out there too, which may or may not be reasonably priced today - now that Dansk/SSI have resumed production on 914-6 (& /4) SS HEs.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 29 2016, 04:30 PM) *

All of the SS ones would be Dansk/SSI & carried by most Porsche parts places & some dealers, so you can google for best price on the parts, & cross-check those with Mark's contact.

There may be some older SSI NOS ones out there too, which may or may not be reasonably priced today - now that Dansk/SSI have resumed production on 914-6 (& /4) SS HEs.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

None of 6's were stainless
Eric_Shea
Danske claims they are SS.
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 29 2016, 04:56 PM) *

Danske claims they are SS.

The whole thing or just the shell?
Don't advise the op to buy nos. they were definitely not ss.
If you want a new set of the reproduction Porsche/Danske made heat exchangers, call Rob, the owner of DC automotive. He still has a set or two that he will sell at a very good price. ~$2k
mb911
Keep in mind the dansk units maybe ss I have no idea but still only 1.5" od so limits engine size.
Dave_Darling
Billy Boat makes or made some. (B&B) They do not fit very well...

The Dansk ones seem to be the best option at the moment. If you're willing to wait for mb911 to finish his, they will probably be very good. And I think he is making them with larger diameter pipes for larger displacement engines.

--DD
Cairo94507
I really really want a pair of mb911's exchangers; but I have to keep my project moving forward and that likely means my stock exchangers are going back on my car for the time being. Now if I hit the Lottery, all bets are off.....
mb911
Click to view attachment

Making progress on mine
GeorgeRud
Though I love to see folks making interesting parts available for our cars, I have concerns about the pictured ss exhaust. Porsche learned the hard way that it's not a good idea to have any welds in the enveloped areas of the heat exchangers. A small leak can quickly cause Dudley CO poisoning.

Even with SSI exchangers, place a CO detector in your passenger compartment for safety.
mb911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 30 2016, 06:02 AM) *

Though I love to see folks making interesting parts available for our cars, I have concerns about the pictured ss exhaust. Porsche learned the hard way that it's not a good idea to have any welds in the enveloped areas of the heat exchangers. A small leak can quickly cause Dudley CO poisoning.

Even with SSI exchangers, place a CO detector in your passenger compartment for safety.

Was waiting for this to come up..

I have built and rebuilt aviation exhaust systems for over 25 years and every single heat exchanger in the aviation world has weld joints underneath the heat exchangers. You can not pull over to the side of the road in an airplane. It is all in how the exhaust is welded. it is a MUST to purge welded to ensure a good internal weld and keeping temps below the carbide percip. levels with chill plates etc..

having a co detector is always a good idea. that said also please keep in mind that ALL tubing has a seam weld in it running the full length of the pipe so that there is a very good likelyhood that would split before our welds..

I speak from real experience on this..
rgalla9146

An important topic.
And I think discussed openly and fairly.
I'm anxious to see the finished product.
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 30 2016, 11:58 AM) *

An important topic.
And I think discussed openly and fairly.
I'm anxious to see the finished product.

I'm looking forward to seeing them on my car. As you can tell, I'm a big fan of Ben's work. These are going to be a great compliment to the nos M&K-R exhaust he dug up for me and he is solving a problem that many 914 owners withe big engines have been searching for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.