Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine running....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
My 2.2T motor ran fine on first startup,about 25mins running and no issues save a few small oil leaks that were easily sorted.
Now I have an issue with oil pressure....after about a minute or 2 of running the oil light comes on and stays under rpm increases,there is no knocking and rattling to indicate lack of oil however.
I must add that the oil light doesn't come on when the key is on ,I find that odd dry.gif
My oil gauge is reading pressure but is a not in great shape,it isn't reading in the right range but responds to rpm increase,my intention is to install a spare 52mm VDO one I have to see what the real pressure is.
Thinking of possible causes;
blocked oil filter...considering engine is used as well as oil tank,
oil pressure relief stuck,
blocked oil pump pickup/strainer,
Perry mentioned the oil filter console could be fitted wrong,

Wise words and advise would be most welcome,I don't intend running it anymore till I have something sorted

PS I'am running the right oil for the motor .
gms
First and foremost is to get a proper gauge to measure the oil pressure, the pressure switch could be bad so I would not rely solely on it.
Dave_Darling
The light is obviously wired wrong; it does not come on at zero oil pressure and does come on with higher pressure. Is it possible you hooked the light to the sender for the gauge?

A mechanical gauge is a very good way to double-check your electrical gauges. Thread it in where the sender for the light is to check what is really going on there.

--DD
porschetub
Glen thanks,the dual pole sender is new and I have swapped wiring over to the idiot light and got the same result.
Will fit stand by gauge as I have a known good one.

Dave ,yes correct the wiring can't be right but it looks ok,makes me think I need to look closer,its a maze of wires behind this gauge besides dry.gif .
Would like to put a mechanical gauge and replace the idiot light but can't find anything suitable size/thread in a top mount,may have to import one.

Perry mentioned the oil console could be in the wrong place but from memory it only goes on one way as in offset holes on the tank mounting face.
Did find mention of the interior coating on the stock tanks peeling off that's why I mentioned the tank,I have since discounted crap in the engine as it was very clean inside.
Oil pressure relief valve ? reason I mentioned that is I presume it is like VW aircooled engines in function....haven't really researched this fully.

More idea's always welcome, beer.gif .

porschetub
Well as I expected all tests proved the motor to have great oil pressure cause I didn't see any issues changing out several different sensors and gauges I had...pretty much all to the same result.
And yes a mechanical gauge proved it,thanks for the input to those that answered.
Oil pressure is high on idle due to cam feed oil line restrictors I fitted....however not convinced on there application in an early engine due to the smaller output pump.
May bore them out slightly and reach a middle line like 3mm .
I have fitted a mechanical gauge and have 1.8-2.0bar @ idle cold so no issues.
Did a base setting on the timing and found it was retarded,so warmed it up and did a basic reset ,now starting without a lot of help from the hand-throttle.
Oil leaks ....well I have some sweating at the rear of the case joint but not the RMS so can live with that,valve covers are giving me some grief but not that bad,the magnesium covers bend like a potato chip and need work ..ask me how I know.
Leaned off the carbs after resetting timing and a very quick response to throttle and quick return to to idle so getting close.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.