Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thin Spare Tire?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
Is there ANY spare tire that'll fit below the 'shelf' in the front trunk? I'm not worried about washer pressure, I'm going to an electric pump there. I'd like to either find a spare that'll work, or maybe weld in another shelf so the board isn't resting on the tire its self.

Thoughts?
Eric_Shea
You could mount a "space-saver" on the bulkhead... confused24.gif
brant
I think the original's fit in there below the shelf.
why don't you go with a 165 tire as a spare?
CptTripps
I have a steel rim, and was going to mount up a 165 as a thin spare. Just making sure...
jk76.914
This is an old question, but I just saw it. Anyway, I've done a 5-lug conversion, and I found a pair of 15 x 4.5 356 steel wheels. Then, at Coker.com (Coker tire sells an amazing selection of otherwise out of production sizes) I picked up a new 145R15 Michelin, which according to Coker, will fit the 15 x 4.5 rim. I haven't had it mounted yet, but it's going to be an amazing solution for a spare for a 5-lug setup. This tire is TINY, but with about the same diameter as the 205/60-15's that I have on the ground.

The wheels are new, and I had to buy 2, so if anyone is interested in the same setup, I'd be happy to sell you a new (1964 vintage) wheel.... I'll even include five lug nuts (they're different than the ones for the aluminum wheels). They're date coded 10/64, and were made in "Western Germany".

If you have a 4-lug setup, you might consider a narrow VW wheel, and then get the narrow Coker tire and do the same approach..... Let me know if you need the lug nuts!
Aaron Cox
i did this...
user posted image
markb
Aaron, how are you holding the wheel up there? I see the standard cap & bolt holding it to the gas tank wall.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (markb @ Oct 30 2005, 10:49 PM)
Aaron, how are you holding the wheel up there? I see the standard cap & bolt holding it to the gas tank wall.

drilled out 6 spotwelds.....

plug welded OEM mount to the firewall. and welded it from the sides and top....
spray with black paint, and voila... erect space saver smile.gif

no - if i only had a way to inflate it... huh.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Aaron,
I carry a small SCUBA pony bottle and use the first stage of a two stage regulator. Works like a charm. You need to be SCUBA certified to buy and fill the bottle but I can help you with that.
Bleyseng
buy one of the little electric Porsche pumps that came in the cars with the spacesaver tires. Idiot! screwy.gif
msglaigaie
They have air pumps at the gas stations up here in tree huggerland. The family van has one onboard. just an idea MSG L
URY914
I used a 135/15 tire for my spare. Its about 3" wide.
agrump
Hey jk76.914,

You wouldn’t happen to know the offset of those wheels would you? I have a 5 lug setup and a DPD AC. I’m using a 5 ½ space saver but it still sticks up about an inch too high. The spare sits on top of the condenser cover cone so offset is important for me.

Thanks,

Dean
tyler
I used a 911 inflatable since it has to fit behind my radiator. Here's the finished pic - the cover has a rubber strut behind it, down the center to help direct the air sideways - I'll also post the 911 cprsr & bracket pics.
tyler
The 911 cprsr fits nicely inside w/velcro
tyler
This is the mounted tire
tyler
This is the tree point bracket I welded in - guess I should mak the pics smaller - sorry -next time
drew365
I have a space saver like Aaron shows in his pic, but it looks like I'll never use it since my car is rarely on the street. If anyone in the L.A. area wants it cheap, let me know.
xitspd
ohmy.gif I have two Porsche Space Saver rims and tires for sale along with an Porsche electric inflator. My problem is I need the minimum clearence of a 17' rim to fit over my brakes.......... Any ideas?

Dan
Aaron Cox
you need a 996 spare. 17" with spacesaver tire.

200 or so on PP911 classifieds
xitspd
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 1 2005, 09:11 AM)

Thanks Aaron!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (xitspd @ Nov 1 2005, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 1 2005, 09:11 AM)

Thanks Aaron!

oh. and guessing it has the late offset..... so i think spacers would be required huh.gif
siverson
> I have two Porsche Space Saver rims and tires for sale along with an Porsche electric inflator. My problem is I need the minimum clearence of a 17' rim to fit over my brakes.......... Any ideas?

What brakes? My 16" spare fits over my 993TT front calipers fine...

-Steve
xitspd
Wow! My 17" rims seem like the barely clear the 993TT calipers. If a 16" space saver works, that's cool! Thanks..............
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.