Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group Buy on LED Headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
db9146
Folks,

A couple of weeks ago, I started looking for some LED headlights. There are a lot on eBay - some with different lenses, some with very funky lenses, and some that are just bulbs.

I have Hella H4s in my -6 and wanted to stay with a stock look yet upgrade my headlights to the same Kelvin color range as the Euro LED turn signal package I got from Spoke a while back (very nice, BTW). I wanted the white of the headlights to match the running lights in the bottom of the front markers. A color of about 6000K was what I was looking for.

After some research and reading some on the board here, I contacted VintagecarLEDs.com and told Thomas what I was looking for. Since I had the H4s with the glass lenses (and I really wanted to stay with them), he suggested that I look at his VC4000s and that if those sounded like what I wanted, he could sell me just the bulbs. Sounded good so I ordered a set.

They shipped quickly and I got them installed before my trip up to the Okteenerfest. They went in easy (not any more than changing an H4 bulb besides the mounting of the small black box with the electronics) and plugged into the stock headlight wiring so no "difficult to undo" mod required. Additionally, the bulbs have an adjustable ring that changes the orientation of the bulb in the housing so when I was installing mine, I looked carefully at the stock H4 bulb and noted the orientation of the bulb element to the three -prong mounting ring that goes into the back of the housing. I then loosened the tiny allen set screw and adjusted the LED bulb to a similar "1 o'clock" position and installed them. The resulting beam had the same pattern as with the original bulbs - no need to even adjust the headlights.

Click to view attachment

Wow, what a difference. I agree with others on the board here. They work great and really improve night vision as well as lessening the load on the electrical system. I had several guys at Okteenerfest ask me about them so I contacted Thomas and he graciously agreed to offer 10% discount to all 914World member who order from 9/30/16 - 10/14/16. If you want to take advantage, just go to

https://vintagecarleds.com/

and when you're checking out, use the code "914WORLD" (all caps).

Here are some pics.
Mblizzard
Did not see just a bulb option. I have the good H4 enclosures as well and could just use bulbs. How much were they?
gandalf_025
Not that many will care, but these aren't DOT legal for the street...

Just saying....
Bartlett 914
I am running them also. Real nice!
Mblizzard
The issue with H4s is not necessarily related to this bulb. The US/DOT requirement is that the H4 beam aim must not change when a bulb is replaced. The beam can easily change if a low quality replacement bulb is installed, because in a poorly made bulb, the filament is often improperly positioned. Of course the LED issue just makes that beam change issue potentially more complex. But most of these issues can be addressed by proper bulbs and adjustment of the head lamp.

A bit of a silly requirement if the beam aim can be addressed by proper adjustment.
gereed75
what bulb and or kit is required??
shadygrady
I just ordered a set. Hope mine turn out as well as yours, Dee
Chris914n6
Post pics of the beam pattern at night. There is no way for the LED bulbs to keep the same focal point as a filament. Might be ok, might actually be a downgrade aside from the color and lumens.

I put HID retrofit bulbs in H4 housings in a OHV. The filament shape changes from a grain of rice to a pea, but made no noticeable change to the light pattern.

You can buy 5-6000k color regular bulbs in 55w, 80w and 100w that will work as the housing was designed.

gandalf_025
Found this.....

Insurance Company now asking "do you have illegal HID lights?" when their customers are at fault

I was chatting with my insurance agent.

He was was saying that their claim adjusters started asking about "aftermarket" or "illegal" lighting during the claim process. This appears to be new and started around July of this year. It's one of the three big insurance companies, at least one of the three that does the most TV commercials nationally.

Let's say you got hit by their customer, they will try to determine if your illegal lighting impaired their client's vision just before the crash. Apparently, in at least 5 U.S. states, having illegal HID lighting will result your claim against their client to be denied. (EVEN IF IT DOES NOT DIRECTLY CONTRIBUTE TO THE CRASH) He explained the concept of contributory negligence... if you're even 1% at fault, by having the illegal HID lighting, they are not legally to pay your claim. In the other 45 states, they are legally required to determine the claim base on the amount of "blame"(30/70, 50/50, 10/90, for example) By definitely, ALL aftermarket HID lighting are illegal. There is no know DOT approved retrofit HID kits. The only exception may be if your car can be ordered with HID lights and you buy all the original factory parts and install them in that specific vehicle.

Obviously, this will have no bearing in rear-end case... but in all case where the other at-fault can see your headlight, it may pose a problem depending on the insurance company and/or adjuster. (especially in those 5 states, including DC, Maryland, Virginia... I forgot the other two he mentioned) Insurance companies trying to find laws that will help them avoid paying on a claim... shocking, isn't it?

Note: This is absolutely not legal advice. I'm just sharing what the insurance agent chatted with me during a casual conversation. He has been an insurance agent for almost 30 years with the same company.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Insurance companies looking for ways out of paying claims in nothing new. I've heard of cases where rear end accidents where the car that was rear ended had tinted tail lights was actually deemed at fault and where the insurance company wouldn't cover repairs to the car with tinted lights.
db9146
The VC4000s are a glass lens, Hella H4 copy that comes with the LED bulbs for those with sealed beam headlights now, according to Thomas. These are $209 minus the 10%.

As I said, if you already have H$ headlights, then you can email or call Thomas and he will sell you the LED bulbs to use in your housings for $149 minus 10%. This is what I bought.

I have no financial interest in this. In fact, I have already bought mine at the $149 price so its not like I'm even going to be able to take advantage of the group buy that I asked him for. But, every now and then, I find a product (like these bulbs or the BlazeCut fire suppression system) that I like enough to bring to the attention of my fellow 'teeners for your benefit as well.
db9146
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 1 2016, 02:40 PM) *

The issue with H4s is not necessarily related to this bulb. The US/DOT requirement is that the H4 beam aim must not change when a bulb is replaced. The beam can easily change if a low quality replacement bulb is installed, because in a poorly made bulb, the filament is often improperly positioned. Of course the LED issue just makes that beam change issue potentially more complex. But most of these issues can be addressed by proper bulbs and adjustment of the head lamp.

A bit of a silly requirement if the beam aim can be addressed by proper adjustment.

Mike, good point and that was a concern of mine as I have tried using LED bulbs as replacements in some bikes I have owned. But these LED bulbs come with an adjustable mounting ring (the 3-prong plate on the back of the bulb) so that if you consider the orientation of the element your stock bulbs, you can easily adjust the new LED bulbs to the identical orientation (I added an explanation to my original post above). I found that this results in a beam pattern with the LEDs that is essentially unchanged from the stock H4 beam. I didn't have to adjust my headlights at all.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Oct 1 2016, 12:49 PM) *

Found this.....

Insurance Company now asking "do you have illegal HID lights?" when their customers are at fault

He was was saying that their claim adjusters started asking about "aftermarket" or "illegal" lighting during the claim process. This appears to be new and started around July of this year. It's one of the three big insurance companies, at least one of the three that does the most TV commercials nationally.

Let's say you got hit by their customer, they will try to determine if your illegal lighting impaired their client's vision just before the crash. Apparently, in at least 5 U.S. states, having illegal HID lighting will result your claim against their client to be denied. (EVEN IF IT DOES NOT DIRECTLY CONTRIBUTE TO THE CRASH) He explained the concept of contributory negligence... if you're even 1% at fault, by having the illegal HID lighting, they are not legally to pay your claim. In the other 45 states, they are legally required to determine the claim base on the amount of "blame"(30/70, 50/50, 10/90, for example) By definitely, ALL aftermarket HID lighting are illegal. There is no know DOT approved retrofit HID kits. The only exception may be if your car can be ordered with HID lights and you buy all the original factory parts and install them in that specific vehicle.

Obviously, this will have no bearing in rear-end case... but in all case where the other at-fault can see your headlight, it may pose a problem depending on the insurance company and/or adjuster. (especially in those 5 states, including DC, Maryland, Virginia... I forgot the other two he mentioned) Insurance companies trying to find laws that will help them avoid paying on a claim... shocking, isn't it?

Note: This is absolutely not legal advice. I'm just sharing what the insurance agent chatted with me during a casual conversation. He has been an insurance agent for almost 30 years with the same company.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Insurance companies looking for ways out of paying claims in nothing new. I've heard of cases where rear end accidents where the car that was rear ended had tinted tail lights was actually deemed at fault and where the insurance company wouldn't cover repairs to the car with tinted lights.

Again not legal advice in any way. But I do see problems with that approach. First, DOT approval of lighting only applies to manufacture certification that that the items meet certain standards. That is the extent of the DOT requirements.

Now specific states may have other requirements but DOT approved lights or DOT unapproved lights alone are not the basis for denying a claim. This DOT approval applies to manufacture certifications only. Certainly in our age of insurance companies being completely worthless and the number of law suites filed it is nothing to ignore but we should all question any information provided from an insurance company.
tomeric914
FWIW, we bought these specifically for OLOA2016 where most of our driving was done at night and they were FANTASTIC. They are also DOT approved.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/truck-lite-led-headlight
87m491
Duly noted, don't get into an accident at night! Unless of course you might also have nonstandard tires, brakes, engine exaust etc. No telling what they might try not to pay for...

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Oct 1 2016, 12:49 PM) *

Found this.....

Chris914n6
This is the type of beam pattern pics I'm after.

IPB Image

IPB Image
db9146
I don't have "before" but I'll try to get some "after".
thomas@vintagecarleds.com
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 1 2016, 01:40 PM) *

Our replacement VC4000 bulbs (if you check the photos on the website) the CSP LED's are laid out inside the bulb at the same focal point as the old H4 Halogen filaments.

(exactly why the base is adjustable because regular H4 bulbs have a slight tilt to them.)

I could take some comparison photos tonight of our VC4000 LED compared to a H4 Halogen for yall.

It's pretty spot on.

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 1 2016, 05:11 PM) *

Again not legal advice in any way. But I do see problems with that approach. First, DOT approval of lighting only applies to manufacture certification that that the items meet certain standards. That is the extent of the DOT requirements.

Now specific states may have other requirements but DOT approved lights or DOT unapproved lights alone are not the basis for denying a claim. This DOT approval applies to manufacture certifications only. Certainly in our age of insurance companies being completely worthless and the number of law suites filed it is nothing to ignore but we should all question any information provided from an insurance company.

Just my .02 cents, I am a licensed state inspector for motor vehicles in the state of Texas.

When inspecting a motor vehicle we look for the following only to pass inspection (just the headlight part):

No cracks, or broken headlamps.

No blue or red lights in the front of the vehicle.

DOT rated Lenses, or DOT plastic headlamps. (they make no note of the bulb other than the color of the headlight)

Proper adjustment of headlights (basically we can't have one headlight aiming at the trees etc...)

And that's it for the State of Texas.

That being said, I am sure it varies state-to-state, however I have yet to receive a phone call or email stating "I got a ticket, or didn't pass inspection. Etc.."

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Oct 1 2016, 07:23 PM) *

FWIW, we bought these specifically for OLOA2016 where most of our driving was done at night and they were FANTASTIC. They are also DOT approved.

Honestly those are pretty fantastic!

Just DO NOT get the china copies, I imported a few of them and the plastic lens yellowed in 4 months.

Get the USA made ones by Truck-Lite.

I don't use them because my 71' VW beetle because they looked a little too "modern" for my bug.

michael7810
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Oct 1 2016, 05:23 PM) *

Can you provide the PN of the Truck Lite you bought? There are many to choose from and none are listed as compatible with a 914. Thanks
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Oct 3 2016, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Oct 1 2016, 05:23 PM) *

Can you provide the PN of the Truck Lite you bought? There are many to choose from and none are listed as compatible with a 914. Thanks

Truck-Lite's Standard 7" replacement will fit.

Keep in mind this is for ONE Headlight.

https://www.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-27270C-He...p/dp/B007K8AA7I
rnellums
I bought the bulb and housing assembly from these guys (VC2800 I think). I believe it is a DOT approved glass housing, and since they are not HID bulbs I'm not sure where the issue is.

Lighting is much improved and they are easily aimed just like conventional bulbs...
87m491
That pattern difference looks like more than bulbs to me. Pattern is reflector and lens. Comparable bulbs should have comparable patterns (in the same lamp reflector combo) if not the same intensity/lumens...

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 1 2016, 10:38 PM) *

This is the type of beam pattern pics I'm after.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Mikey914
The LED has a more broad spectrum (AKA natural light) look. However, it sure looks like the halogen example has the lights miss aligned judging from where the center of the light is.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(thomas@vintagecarleds.com @ Oct 3 2016, 07:29 AM) *

Our replacement VC4000 bulbs (if you check the photos on the website) the CSP LED's are laid out inside the bulb at the same focal point as the old H4 Halogen filaments.

I could take some comparison photos tonight of our VC4000 LED compared to a H4 Halogen for yall.

It's pretty spot on.

BS. The halogen filament is at 0 on the focal axis. The LEDs are offset by 1/8" to the side. The filament outputs 360 degrees, LEDs about 270. There is no hard line answer for a good beam pattern, but LED bulbs in Halogen reflectors changes the engineered pattern and that is important to all drivers on the road.

Post pics and include the brand of housing used.
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 3 2016, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(thomas@vintagecarleds.com @ Oct 3 2016, 07:29 AM) *

It's pretty spot on.

BS. The halogen filament is at 0 on the focal axis. The LEDs are offset by 1/8" to the side. The filament outputs 360 degrees, LEDs about 270. There is no hard line answer for a good beam pattern, but LED bulbs in Halogen reflectors changes the engineered pattern and that is important to all drivers on the road.

Post pics and include the brand of housing used.

A halogen filament is not at 0 on the focal axis. I will post photos tonight showing how they are slightly offset.

Yes, Filament is at 360 degrees except for the low beam which has a metal shield below it in a halogen bulb (will post photos, or look at yours.)

Yes the leds are not 100% 360 as you have to have a heatsink in the middle. However they still work fantastic in a good quality H4 lens.

Thanks- Thomas
t collins
I ordered a set today, my thanks to db9146 and Thomas at Vintagecarled.
Just for a quick comparison, Here is a Vanagon user (I dont have any 914 photos) of the before/after beam compairison.

Also, keep in mind he is using our VC3500 kit.

If a 914 guy is able to send me some before/after photos I would love to put that on our website!

Source:
Vanagon Geek

(I think his high beams are on? Not sure, he didn't specify)

IPB Image

IPB Image

Working on sizing the images down right now, they were WAY too large.
Wyvern
I am just about ready to do this swap .... BUT would really like to use new screws and adjusters any insight on who has those . ?
QUOTE(Wyvern @ Oct 4 2016, 11:22 AM) *

I am just about ready to do this swap .... BUT would really like to use new screws and adjusters any insight on who has those . ?

Would these help?

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/914-9...-76-p29912.html

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/914-9...eadlights-c461/
Chris914n6
Actually a pizza box, or better poster board, in front of the light would tell me alot. I've experimented that much.

If you do before and after you have to adjust the settings on the camera to fixed.
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 4 2016, 01:57 PM) *

Actually a pizza box, or better poster board, in front of the light would tell me alot. I've experimented that much.

If you do before and after you have to adjust the settings on the camera to fixed.

If I freeze the light settings on my camera, and then take a photo of:

Halogen bulb in our lens, and then our LED bulb in the same lens, at the same distance on the same wall, Would that work?

Chris914n6
For $150 I would expect you would have already done comparisons and have the proof in pics that they are indeed an improvement other than you say so. I've done days of research on upgrades and I don't even sell anything.

I also understand geometry enough to know that when the source of light is moved in a reflector the output changes. Plenty of YouTube vids that show LED bulbs actually decrease safety.
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 4 2016, 11:25 PM) *

For $150 I would expect you would have already done comparisons and have the proof in pics that they are indeed an improvement other than you say so. I've done days of research on upgrades and I don't even sell anything.

I also understand geometry enough to know that when the source of light is moved in a reflector the output changes. Plenty of YouTube vids that show LED bulbs actually decrease safety.

Well, All I can tell you is to try them out, or check out our feedback on several other sites. (It's all positive, everyone reports a fantastic improvement)

I should have some free time this weekend to take before/after photos (even though a prior post from a Vanagon has them, but those are customer submitted)

It looks like our lights are not for you, so I will let the other various 914world people who purchased their kits speak for themselves on this thread.

Here are various threads about our LEDs:

I would like to mention the Orange VW thing (from thesamba thread) used a very early design of our LED units the "VC2500" which we have phased out due to the "spotlight" pattern.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...=vintagecarleds

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.p...3403&page=3

http://vanagongeek.blogspot.com/2016/10/he...ed-upgrade.html
Mblizzard
QUOTE(thomas@vintagecarleds.com @ Oct 5 2016, 05:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 4 2016, 11:25 PM) *

Well, All I can tell you is to try them out, or check out our feedback on several other sites. (It's all positive, everyone reports a fantastic improvement)

I should have some free time this weekend to take before/after photos (even though a prior post from a Vanagon has them, but those are customer submitted)

It looks like our lights are not for you, so I will let the other various 914world people who purchased their kits speak for themselves on this thread.

Here are various threads about our LEDs:

I would like to mention the Orange VW thing (from thesamba thread) used a very early design of our LED units the "VC2500" which we have phased out due to the "spotlight" pattern.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...=vintagecarleds

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.p...3403&page=3

http://vanagongeek.blogspot.com/2016/10/he...ed-upgrade.html

I am sure there are a number of vids that show doing things wrong, with mismatched components, and improper aiming can lead to decreased safety. But I just don't get the impression that what is being presented here.

I placed a set of cheap HIDs into standard H4 reflectors and knew it was wrong when I hit the switch. The HIDs went into the trash. I have seen people with light systems that fail to understand that the brightest light is not the best. Power is nothing without control.

All that I can see here and on the site seems to be a light system that is well matched, controlled, and unlikely to decrease safety.
Bartlett 914
Can you tell which one is LED?
Click to view attachment
There is something missing in my purchase.

the buyers remorse is missing LOL
tomeric914
These http://www.ebay.com/itm/Truck-Lite-27270C-...K-/282167057248
pbanders
I'm using these instead of the Truck-Lites

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019I0UBLU/

As far as I can tell, they're identical and about half the price. $66 ea.

I'm using these for fog/driving lights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAR0S20/

$14 for a pair and fit into the early fog grilles perfectly.

It's extremely important to aim them correctly. There are many generic guides out there (google), and the factory workshop manual has a procedure (about the same as the others I've seen). Mine were crappy until properly aimed, and now they're great.

If you convert all of your lights over to LED, you cut the current draw so much that the parasitic drag on the alternator is all but eliminated, and the car idles without bogging when you turn on the lights.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

bandjoey
"Thank you for contacting Hagerty. If the only change to the vehicle is to the headlights, it would not have an effect on your insurance. Should you get in an accident, we would replace the headlights with LED headlights instead. If you are making any other modifications to the vehicle such as body or performance modifications, we would have to update your policy to reflect that so that in a claims situation we have the information on file with what was changed. "

Hagerty the is Ok with adding LEDs per my email. Fyi
Wyvern
[quote name='thomas@vintagecarleds.com' date='Oct 4 2016, 10:17 AM' post='2407090']
[quote name='Wyvern' post='2407069' date='Oct 4 2016, 11:22 AM']
[/quote]

Would these help?

Yes that is part of what I would like to swop . the small ring screws would be no problem ... but I want to to the long step bolts (the actual adjusters ) I understand 914 Rubber has those on the "to do list"

JmuRiz
I just used Brad's link and found a set of trucklites for $99/pair biggrin.gif Hopefully they work well. I also need to install Spoke's front and tail lights too. got a set of SMD 6v headlights for the other car biggrin.gif

I'll be nice to see and be seen by others.
pbanders
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 7 2016, 12:37 PM) *

I just used Brad's link and found a set of trucklites for $99/pair biggrin.gif

Nice! Do you have a link to that deal?
mepstein
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 7 2016, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 7 2016, 12:37 PM) *

I just used Brad's link and found a set of trucklites for $99/pair biggrin.gif

Nice! Do you have a link to that deal?

Yea, I could use a second set at that price.
db9146
Guys, I have to say that I am a bit disappointed with how this thread has gone. I have read the posts several times and tried not to read too much into the comments and direction but my opinion of the direction hasn't changed. I'm a bit embarrassed by the reception Thomas has received. It is seldom that a vendor offers a GB and then has the thread high-jacked and picked apart so completely.

I started the thread as a response to folks who had seen them in my car. I am very happy with them. If you choose to go a different route, good for you. If you want more info, ask politely. If it can be provided, say thanks. If not, then take that into account as you make your decision.

There have been a number of threads comparing the brands of LED lights so this thread was not intended to be a rehash of that. Simply info about one of the options available.

Good grief.
JmuRiz
FWIW those led drop ins are great for people with H4s already. Similar to those SMD 6v LEDs I got for my other car. 356 guys love em.
Coondog
QUOTE(db9146 @ Oct 7 2016, 02:23 PM) *

Guys, I have to say that I am a bit disappointed with how this thread has gone. I have read the posts several times and tried not to read too much into the comments and direction but my opinion of the direction hasn't changed. I'm a bit embarrassed by the reception Thomas has received. It is seldom that a vendor offers a GB and then has the thread high-jacked and picked apart so completely.

I started the thread as a response to folks who had seen them in my car. I am very happy with them. If you choose to go a different route, good for you. If you want more info, ask politely. If it can be provided, say thanks. If not, then take that into account as you make your decision.

There have been a number of threads comparing the brands of LED lights so this thread was not intended to be a rehash of that. Simply info about one of the options available.

Good grief.

Looked at my volt gauge tonight with my stereo, heater, fogs and H-4s on and didn't like being on the minus side of 12. Turned off my H-4s and my volt gauge jumped back to normal. Already running some LEDs, l am going to call Thomas tomorrow and place my order.
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 18 2016, 11:21 PM) *

QUOTE(db9146 @ Oct 7 2016, 02:23 PM) *

Good grief.

Looked at my volt gauge tonight with my stereo, heater, fogs and H-4s on and didn't like being on the minus side of 12. Turned off my H-4s and my volt gauge jumped back to normal. Already running some LEDs, l am going to call Thomas tomorrow and place my order.

Sorry, I was out of the office yesterday, I did get a few missed calls but no voice mail.

If you need anything please call or email today.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.