Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Line Fun!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aveale
okay,

i have played with the fuel lines with limited success.

the engine is out, and now I want to fix some leaky lines.

1- WHAT SIZE LINES are people using from the pump/filter into the fuel rails (steel jobbers that go to the injectors) and back again?

2- I have heard chatter about steel lines, so are they hard to do and again, how do i mate them with the existing fuel rails?

The reason i am asking is that, as you know, we are dealing in inches, when the OEM stuff is in metric!

Thanx in advance!

T

crash914
I just used 3/8 inch lines for everything...works good. I thought I posted some picures here somewhere...
Allan
I just ran all new lines fron to rear. 3/8th for the steel stuff goiing through the tunnel and 5/16th for everything else except filter to pump. The only 3/8th rubber line I had leaked like a seive.
TheCabinetmaker
5/16" steel tubing thru the tunnel. 8mm high pressure rubber hose everywhere else. Fuel injection rated hose clamps. OEM style hose is still available. Regular fuel hose will not stand up to the pressure. Remember, the stock FI pump can put out 80+ pounds of pressure.
aveale
well,

as expected we have 3/8, 5/16 and 8mm.

With regards to the steel lines, what level of difficulty is this?

Thanx again,

T
Allan
QUOTE (aveale @ Apr 18 2005, 11:08 AM)
With regards to the steel lines, what level of difficulty is this?

Not too difficult. You'll need a tubing bender and cutter and a die for whatever size line you decide to use. It will be alot easier if you have someone to help you.
aveale
cutting instrument, bending instrument - check!

what is the die and its purpose?

T
Allan
QUOTE (aveale @ Apr 18 2005, 11:45 AM)
what is the die and its purpose?

I ran 3/8th in stainless line from under the tank, through the tunnel, out the firewall and up through the engine shelf. I then used a 10mm die to thread about an inch of each end creating a barbed fitting to hold the rubber line. It isn't ever coming off. biggrin.gif
lapuwali
FWIW, 8mm = 5/16" when it comes to rubber lines.

8mm = 0.315"
5/16" = 0.313"

Two thou simply isn't going to make any difference in a rubber line. You should be able to swap these back and forth quite easily. As I recall, 7mm was originally used for feed lines, and 8mm for return lines. The fittings on the bottom of the tank accept those sizes, at least for the early cars. 1/4" fuel line will usually fit over a 7mm barb (0.25" v 0.28"), so you could use 1/4" and 5/16" if that's easier to get locally.

Fitting steel lines down the tunnel isn't difficult, except everything is in the way. The steering rack is in the way up front, and the engine mount bar is in the way in back. It's a fairly easy job to do while the engine is out and the engine bay is being refurb'd. Use some grommets front and back to hold the steel brake lines you use in the tunnel for fuel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.