Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race report E production SCCA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thorshammer
First let me say that without the support of my wife and the understanding that I am a total nutjob, none of this would have happened. With credit card in hand I set out for the track on Saturday to get my logbook and annual tech on the new car. This weekend was a drivers school on saturday and a one day regional on Sunday. After a couple small jobs, catch cans and the like I got in line for 3 hours. Once it was my turn it was pretty smooth sailing. And the car was booked and annualed.

Since I installed the tubular front a-arms I have never squared the car or aligned it. So me and my strings went to work. The most daunting part was being right next to the new driver awards dinner in the garage next to me, so I had about 40 questions, and many people looking over my shoulder, but after a little clearancing on the rear trailing arm mount, it was square and the toe, camber was set, the caster I used an unspecified unscientific method which I won't describe for fear of looking like a jackass.

Sunday, My Crew showed up. My friend Dmitry, he is a tremendous mechanic and someone that can get the job done, but also knows what to look for while working on the car.

We got the pressures set and the tire warmers on, and were ready to go. So I was'nt in anyones way, it was decided to go out after the grid had left, well it did'nt matter, I only had 2-3 gear in the Hewland trans. The shift rod adjuster was not tight. Back in, fix the problem, check the car over again.

Qualifying: 3 laps over sound, no time, but the car did work well, went good, braked okay, but the top gear was too short, I needed a taller top gear, Okay, wheres that gear selection box, oh yeah left that at home. Dumbass. No, Double Dumbass. Did not make any difference, times would not be allowed due to sound.

Found some exhaust turn downs at Pep Boys and installed them, which brought the DB level down to 98 during the race. We also found some small oil leaks that were resealed ( valve covers).

Race: I have never been so far back in the pack, but in the race group, we had SPU, SRF, GP, EP, FP and GTL. so it was 27 cars. and I was 24th on the grid. Got a good start and passed two into turn three, started to figure the car out about lap 4 and got into a groove, then the full course yellow, two SRF cars getting together. After that the restart was real good one for me passing many cars into turn 3, after a couple laps I chased the 2nd place 240 Z down and we exchanged the position several times, I was against the rev limiter down the front straight (artificially set for the new engine at 7500 rpm). But, once past him I put my head down and got a 15 car length lead, then it happened out of turn 4 I had been getting a slight power-on slide, which was totally controllable, but this time it slide, I corrected, then it just stopped driving forward, I thought I had lost the clutch, it is a new set up (5.5 Tilton) and it was yet to be tested. But later, after watching the final 2 laps go by, and getting a flat tow back to the garages, it was found I had a broken cv joint. Now before someone says man you got alot of motor, maybe, but it was a type 1 vw cv joint that fits the Hewland, not a 914 Cv joint, they are on the outers and have no problem with them.

Heres what I learned, Even if you have a nut and bolt check procedure and list, it is not complete

Even though we did not finish, we learned alot about the car and what will be needed for the national there in to weeks. Once I swap out the 2 year old rubber, it should go pretty good.

Always have someone available that knows something about cars with an internet connection, Mine was Chris Foley, and he was able to get me some specs on the VDO tach that I had,cause I could not get it to work. Thanks Chris!

No matter what you calculate, the only way to really know is to race the car. I was successful (somewhat) due to proper thought before I got there. but it wasn't enough, I needed a test day, and all of the issues I had would have been found, and provided and better result, but it was a blast.

When you rent a garage, you get the two parking spots in front of the garage, if you are parking in front of someone elses garage, and you are asked to move, do so, and shut up cause you don't belong there.

Lastly, Someone on your crew needs to be the DNA or Designated Necessary Asshole. This is a guy that is really always right, and says exactly what he means, without any political correctness. Sometimes his edgy language can offend some people, but you know, some people just can't take a hint. BTW this last two paragraphs are all about this guy who parked ALL of his cars in front of my garage, so I had to park two garages away, ever try to run for a tool or gas or a spare part when the trailer is 50 more feet away. This will not happen again to me.

Erik Madsen 914-6 EP SCCA New England Region
crash914
Damn...I knew that I should have gone up for the race...a friend of mine was running ITS.

Oh well...I should get up for a race later this year....Sounds like fun....last time I ran at NHIS, I also lost a cv joint...no matter, I just pulled the engine and rebuilt it...

TimT
When you rent a garage, you get the two parking spots in front of the garage, if you are parking in front of someone elses garage, and you are asked to move, do so, and shut up cause you don't belong there.

hehe this is always a problem, we had guys blocking our garage at the Glen one year, and they gave us a hard time when we asked them
to move!! It almost came to blows.. some people jus dont get it

anyhoo sounds like your learning curve may be getting a bit flatter

beer.gif
groot
Sounds like you learned a lot last weekend. My first race is this weekend... and it's a national. Hopefully I won't have too many teething problems.
Thorshammer
Kevin,

Got motor?

Erik
Brad Roberts
Lastly, Someone on your crew needs to be the DNA or Designated Necessary Asshole. This is a guy that is really always right, and says exactly what he means, without any political correctness. Sometimes his edgy language can offend some people, but you know, some people just can't take a hint. BTW this last two paragraphs are all about this guy who parked ALL of his cars in front of my garage, so I had to park two garages away, ever try to run for a tool or gas or a spare part when the trailer is 50 more feet away. This will not happen again to me.

Ha ha.. oh.. ha ha... falling down laughing... that is ME. I take NO shit when I'm at the track. ASSHOLE is what they call me. Typically I socialize very little (autoX is a different story) I put up with NOTHING. It takes a lot of money to show up to an event...

Awesome hearing that you have the car on the track. Sounds like you are close to dialing it in. Now you get to set the car up for each track.

Oh.. since when where tire warmers legal in SCCA ?? "ChickenHawk"

B
Thorshammer
Welcome back my friend!

Yes it is close. drove like a puss though, still not comfortable with the brakes, no porterfields. Will change that next weekend. Also just figured out why I was out of gear down the front straight. Although the soft rev limit was reset before the race the max rev was not, so even though I thought I had 8100 RPm, I did not. So the gearing is probably correct. It would have been a different race had this not been F'd up, but that would have meant the CV joint would have failed earlier.

I have just ordered two DNA's for next race. One for the garage and one for the guy I'm gonna bump off to make it to the podium. HEHEHEHEHEHE, just kidding.

Erik
Brad Roberts
Oh.. FYI:

Spoke/met with Ron Wicker over the weekend. He say's 06 before we are back on the track. He is busy selling HIS 100$ a bottle wine. He grows grapes on the property where his house sits.

He was excited to do some testing this summer.

Since day one I have been concerned about that Hewland holding up to the torque/HP of your 6. I honestly thought you where pushing the limits. Hopefully you can get the CV issue resolved.

B
Thorshammer
I don't think the Hewland will be that big of an issue, but we'll see. I will tell you this, it sure does shift well. up down , you can tell a major difference in the sound of my car between gears as opposed to other cars on the video. It sounds like a blip when I shift, but their cars you can hear a pause, so I am hoping this equates to faster lap times.

As for the tire warmers they have always been legal, just not on the pre grid. And worth every penny.

Erik M
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (groot @ Apr 18 2005, 10:25 AM)
Sounds like you learned a lot last weekend. My first race is this weekend... and it's a national. Hopefully I won't have too many teething problems.

I'll be there. I should be there between 2-3pm Friday. I will look you up. driving.gif
groot
I've got my ol' 2.0L, but no Jake motor yet. That old motor going to have to last for most of the season. Jake's making some changes for the better on the motor and the delivery date's been pushed out a bit. The good news is that it gives me more time to get the suspension working well.
Thorshammer
The national will be interesting, I hope to run as consistent as possible and near the front. Need the points, last year at Mid ohio, have been to Topeka many times, wake me up when it is over, the place is a bore, this will be my only year to make the Runoffs, until they change the track config at Topeka, or move the site again. So it's MO or bust. Hope to see many of you at the races this year. Please stop in and say hello. At Loudon, I am normally in the Central garage 15-22. At Lime Rock bottom of the hill turn 170 degrees left second right halfway down on the tarmac patch. Stop in. Next Race NHIS April 30-May 1 Still need some video at different corners and photo help as well when looking at the chassis

Erik
djm914-6
Got any infor on the april 30 race?I'd like to spectate and maybe be a back up DNA.
Thorshammer
Okay,

Heres the schedule, 8:15 AM practice starts EP, FP, GP, HP is GT4-5 all race group 3 , so Chris, Ed and I will all be on the track at about 9:00-9:15.

For anyone who does n't know, having 3 914's at a SCCA National is alot. Ed G is building an engine, Chris is making money and I am getting my shit together and preparing another 914-4 for my friend Dave.

Anyway, The races will start about 10:00 Am and will go 45 minutes or 30 laps. This means race group 3 will probably be after lunch. But they may be able to sneak it in before lunch. But I doubt it. Chris and I will be in the garages, I learned a long time ago, get the garage, you won't regret it.

So bring the camera and your back up DNA card we may need ya.

Erik Madsen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.