Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC FRS Radios
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Seems like a lot of folks have these, and a good idea since some of the areas we'll be going through have limited cell phone coverage.

Bondo suggested channel 9, privacy code 14. So it is! (Not so fast)

Changed to channel 9, privacy code 0.

Jeroen, if you catch this, put in WCC pages.
mightyohm
A lot of cheaper FRS radios (including mine) do NOT work with privacy codes. You have to use privacy code 0 to enable operation with ALL kinds of FRS radios.
Howard
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Apr 18 2005, 09:44 AM)
A lot of cheaper FRS radios (including mine) do NOT work with privacy codes. You have to use privacy code 0 to enable operation with ALL kinds of FRS radios.

Change one implemented> Channel 9 Privacy code 0.

Demick
We almost always run channel 9 privacy code 14 for obvious reasons.

However, I have some Motorola GMRS radios, which operate as GMRS only on channels 1-7 and 15-22. I know most FRS radios only have channels 1-14. But my point is, that if we choose a channel from 1-7, that those with GMRS radios will be able to benefit from the increased power (more than double the range of FRS). Still completely compatible with FRS, just more range.

I don't know if other people's GMRS radios operate the same way, but if they do, then it might be helpful to choose a channel from 1-7.

Demick

bondo
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Apr 18 2005, 09:44 AM)

Doh, one of the ulterior motives of my suggestion was to force you to go buy a set of "real" FRS radios. smile.gif Having to listen to everyone on a channel bugs the hell out of me dry.gif
mightyohm
bondo - Feel free to buy me (and everyone else) a set of real FRS radios. biggrin.gif

I know it's annoying to listen to interference but I have a feeling I am not the only one who has the cheap kind that don't support the privacy codes. BTW for people who don't have FRS radios, get some, they are very useful and you can find a pair in the $20 range (or less!) if you look around.
bondo
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Apr 18 2005, 10:30 AM)
BTW for people who don't have FRS radios, get some, they are very useful and you can find a pair in the $20 range (or less!) if you look around.

Yeah, and that's with privacy codes! The more of us there are the more pressure we can put on jkeyzer! Muhahahah! lol2.gif
SLITS
Radios, Radios, we don't need no stinkin radios.......How can you listen to a flippin two-way radio when you have your Zillion Plus Watt Stereo on Hi listening to the WCC2005 exclusive CD?
VegasRacer
QUOTE (SLITS @ Apr 18 2005, 09:51 AM)
How can you listen to a flippin two-way radio when you have your Zillion Plus Watt Stereo on Hi listening to the WCC2005 exclusive CD?

I ain't gonna be able to listen to the CD that Toast is making until I get home. My only choices durring the WCC will be a garbled FRS radio or the singing of the sweet six.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.