Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 firewall questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
23e Heure
My 6 conversion is going to the workshop for a GT styling makeover this winter.

I'll probably have a few dummies questions for the forum brain to help with, and in the meantime I'll start at the firewall.:

1)
I want to cut an inspection hatch in the firewall to get to be able to do the timing etc. with motor in place.
- Who has some photos shots of neat solutions for this.
- And any general advice on doing this.

2)
I assume stock backpad and cutting an inspection hatch do not mix. So I will carpet the firewall.
- Am I best buying a ready shaped / cut firewall carpet? Or is this relatively easy for a trimmer to do without a pattern?
(I am in UK and trying to avoid buying too much stuff from US due to shipping and taxes)
- If best to buy 'ready made', who makes the best one?
(I found a few on US eBay, no idea if there is a better source...)

- Sound deadening while I am in there?
(I plan on removing the sound pad from the engine side).

Thanks all!

ejm
QUOTE(23e Heure @ Oct 2 2016, 05:17 AM) *

I assume stock backpad and cutting an inspection hatch do not mix.

The back pad is 3 pieces screwed together. I've seen people use Velcro to hold the center piece in place so they can access the engine without removing the entire pad.
Chris914n6
That firewall carpet is just trunk liner felt/speaker box carpet stretched and glued on. Easy to make at home. It's about $10/yd at upholstery stores.
PanelBilly
Removing the stock pad is no big deal. You're not going to need to access the front of the engine that often
Larmo63
I have a steel body firewall piece cut from another car that I bought at the last G & R swap. I'll make the opening, a larger cover, and weld in some nuts to bolt that on. I'm going with the Patrick Motorsports style opening. Go look at their website and builds. Then grey or black perlon.

Appbiz has the good German stuff and you can buy it by the yard to match their carpet kits.

Rennspeed(?) on eBay sells a carpet back pad that is slightly more polyester style perlon carpet and doesn't exactly match the German material. (close, but not the same.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.