Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
I mean, "new" to me! Took it home last week.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
orthobiz
It came with steelies that need to be repainted. I have lots of work to do!
Formerly BS Chairman's car. I fell in love with it and had to take it home. What I'm gonna do with three of these car, I don't know!

Thanks to Pat Garvey, dcheek, smg914, tod914, Bliznik, Brad Mayeur and others for sifting through dozens of cell phone pics!

And yes, I will enter it into the database!

Paul
pete000
Looks mint !
orthobiz
QUOTE(pete000 @ Oct 2 2016, 08:19 PM) *

Looks mint !

Thanks, it wears its original paint, has lots of tiny blems but it's an "honest" car, neglected but unadulterated.

Paul
Mueller
2 things....

Great looking car, very jealous...and dang, that way too much lawn!
napasteve
That's one clean looking car. What is the story with only 45k miles?
KELTY360
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 2 2016, 05:24 PM) *

2 things....

Great looking car, very jealous...and dang, that way too much lawn!

Lawn hell, there's enough concrete there for a runway!

BTW agree.gif about the great looking car. Nice find.
Shadowfax
Nice car!
white914.jpg
orthobiz
QUOTE(napasteve @ Oct 2 2016, 08:35 PM) *

That's one clean looking car. What is the story with only 45k miles?

Still sorting through the owners. Gary BSChairman never put many miles on it for the last several years, just one of those cars that got stored for long periods of time I guess!

Paul
SKL1
Special place in my hear for '71 1.7's... looks like a good find. All docs need more cars wink.gif

Hope you don't need those old sun visors you sent me a few years ago!!
euro911
Really nice score Paul smile.gif

I have a soft spot for Ivory '71, 1.7Ls as well ... although we're punching out to 1.9L happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

Do you have enough garage space for the new one? ... winter's coming, ya know idea.gif
Ferg

Nice find! aktion035.gif
Cuda911
Great!!!!! More details, please.
dcheek
Way to go Paul!

I think you gat a good deal on an honest unmolested 914.

Dave
JOEPROPER
Nice addition to the collection!! smoke.gif
jrblackbox
Congrats!
Racer
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Oct 3 2016, 08:48 AM) *

Congrats!

Looks good. (another Light Ivory here too!)
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 2 2016, 06:59 PM) *

Formerly BS Chairman's car. I fell in love with it and had to take it home. What I'm gonna do with three of these car, I don't know!

Gary the BS Chairman from SMOG? The SMOG guys used to put on one of the biggest 914 events. That is a very nice car, congrats!!! drooley.gif beerchug.gif
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 2 2016, 05:21 PM) *

Looks mint !

Thanks, it wears its original paint, has lots of tiny blems but it's an "honest" car, neglected but unadulterated.

Paul

Very very nice...but not honest or unadulterated. Its had to endure a disingenuous life all these years. Someone bolted on the Fuchs later in life, not correct for a '71 914...I suspect you intend to put the steelies back on?
Big Len
Best of luck....she's a beauty.
horizontally-opposed
Gorgeous car!

Don't know what you'll do with a third one, either, but the car probably won't complain. It's in good hands...
orthobiz
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 3 2016, 05:03 PM) *

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 2 2016, 05:21 PM) *

Looks mint !

Paul

Very very nice...but not honest or unadulterated. Its had to endure a disingenuous life all these years. Someone bolted on the Fuchs later in life, not correct for a '71 914...I suspect you intend to put the steelies back on?

I put the Fuchs on for the ride home. The wheels need to be redone and will definitely go back on the car soon!

Paul
orthobiz
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 3 2016, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 2 2016, 06:59 PM) *

Gary the BS Chairman from SMOG? The SMOG guys used to put on one of the biggest 914 events. That is a very nice car, congrats!!! drooley.gif beerchug.gif

Yep, THAT Gary!
I also got a mug to commemorate the glory days of the South Michigan group.

Paul
orthobiz
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 2 2016, 11:06 PM) *

I have a soft spot for Ivory '71, 1.7Ls as well ... although we're punching out to 1.9L happy11.gif

Do you have enough garage space for the new one? ... winter's coming, ya know idea.gif

Enough space? Unfortunately I have a pole barn and can probably accommodate another 2 or 3 cars!

Paul
TJB/914
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 3 2016, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 2 2016, 11:06 PM) *

Enough space? Unfortunately I have a pole barn and can probably accommodate another 2 or 3 cars!

Paul

Hi Paul,
Good 914, I know it well biggrin.gif
It should also have the tool kit in the trunk??
Tom
TJB/914
Paul,
Opps, that first one is my interior, bad eye's, it looked white on my archive files & posted by mistake.
Tom, Chrome Yellow.
Harpo
I'm glad you bought Stelmach's car. It is in good hands now.

David
SKL1
Don't think that's the original back bumper though- doesn't have the sharp edges on the bottom- shouldn't all '71's have the sharp edge bumper? Mine does. My '73 has the curved one.
orthobiz
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Oct 3 2016, 08:03 PM) *

Don't think that's the original back bumper though- doesn't have the sharp edges on the bottom- shouldn't all '71's have the sharp edge bumper? Mine does. My '73 has the curved one.

The Dr. B Johnson book says the early bumper style is 1970 and doesn't really specify exactly when the change occurred...I think this rear bumper is correct on my car. And knowing how the factory used up old stock, it would not surprise me if some cars have a mid-year change.

Similarly, I have heard from two owners who had the waffle weave textured seats combined with the smooth door vinyl, just like my car.

Paul
orthobiz
Tom: yes, has the tool kit but missing the clip that pulls off the hubcaps.
Harpo: thanks, I'll sort the car out and it will be better than ever!

Paul
TJB/914
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 3 2016, 08:16 PM) *

The Dr. B Johnson book says the early bumper style is 1970 and doesn't really specify exactly when the change occurred...I think this rear bumper is correct on my car. And knowing how the factory used up old stock, it would not surprise me if some cars have a mid-year change.

Similarly, I have heard from two owners who had the waffle weave textured seats combined with the smooth door vinyl, just like my car.

Paul

Pau;,
I agree 71's can have both.
BTW: Show us a picture of the tool kit popcorn[1].gif So these guys know you got a good deal w00t.gif
Tom
TJB/914
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 3 2016, 08:19 PM) *

Paul

Paul,
I have one for you, next time I am in Cadillac for free coffee.
Tom
dlkawashima
SCORE!!!
euro911
Our '71 has a build date of January 1971. We bought it from the original owner, and it has the curved bumper.
SKL1
You're probably right- my dad had a late '71 914 and his interior was completely different than my early '71. I don't remember the shape of his rear bumper- I have some pictures of his car somewhere but don't know if I have a good picture of the back end!

Yeah, they were famous for pulling parts off the rack when they built them making it tough for the concours judges to know what was really original!
euro911
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Oct 3 2016, 10:55 PM) *
You're probably right- my dad had a late '71 914 and his interior was completely different than my early '71. I don't remember the shape of his rear bumper- I have some pictures of his car somewhere but don't know if I have a good picture of the back end!

Yeah, they were famous for pulling parts off the rack when they built them making it tough for the concours judges to know what was really original!
Not only that, but a 'late' 1971 build date might indicate it was a 1972 MY (?)

IIRC, the factory started up the next years' models in August or September, after their summer break.
SKL1
When I said late '71 I meant in the model year- my dad's car was made in 3/71 and mine in 9/70, so technically mine was a "late" /70!
dcheek
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 3 2016, 04:19 PM) *

Paul

It's probably a VW puller. If someone can post me a picture of one I've got a VW show and swap meet coming up at Englishtown Raceway Park October 16th. I'll see if I can find one there.

Dave
euro911
Click to view attachment
orthobiz
Yep! That's the puller thingy!!

Paul
914_teener
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 2 2016, 04:55 PM) *

I mean, "new" to me! Took it home last week.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

beerchug.gif

Nice like the color

Just like mine only way nicer.

Have fun.
mepstein
So now that you have a collection, what's your thoughts on the driving experience of early vs late(er).
orthobiz
The car needs to be sorted out. But boy, it brings back memories! The shifter is sloppy as hell but I haven't missed a gear yet, no grinding. Power is good. The ventilation system is all messed up so no heat. The non-retractable seatbelts are fine with me, the weird parking brake works, just lots of little differences. I hope to do a progress thread on sorting the car out, but around here Nov 1 is a hard date for winter storage!

Paul
My 914
Do you have a picture of the interior?
SKL1
That reminds me of that weird articulated parking brake handle. Was always a real trick to get the damned light to go out on the dash, and to get the brake off! Finally switched it out to one from a later car...

I was so excited to get mine at the time, I didn't find anything wrong with the shift linkage! (though the first time my dad drove it, he couldn't find reverse)
orthobiz
QUOTE(My 914 @ Oct 5 2016, 09:48 PM) *

Do you have a picture of the interior?

Lots of pics to come soon...
Have barely cleared out the goodies in the front trunk!

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.