Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solidworks help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
i need help making a nut and bolt
MattR
The easy way:

www.mcmaster.com

they have IGES files of a lot of their products, you can load them and be done.

If you need to actually draft them, do you need threads?

If you need threads, you extrude the small diameter of the bolt, create a triangle and loft the correct pitch. Same with the nut.

The nut should be really easy. Create a hex and extrude the thickness of the nut.
bd1308
have to draft them....
bd1308
going over som WIERD stuff today....stuff i dont remember learning....
MattR
Do you need threads? We had an assignment where they wanted us to draft the threads screwy.gif but usually you dont have to.
bd1308
yes i need threads...i have no earthly clue how to do it....
i have the stuffs...just not the know-how
Mueller
no big deal, a bolt head is comprised of 60° and 120°....use a construction circle, draw your six sides and go from there.........
MattR
For threads:

First, make a cylindrical extrusion (extrude a circle with diameter of the inner part of the thread, or the small diameter)
create a helix by using threads per inch to define the pitch (threads per inch should be given)
make a triangle on the front plane with the correct dimensions

make sure the midpoint of the lower segment of the triangle is on the beginning of the helix

go to loft and loft that mofo and you're done

now its just the same for a nut, but you work with the inside.
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 18 2005, 11:31 AM)
yes i need threads...i have no earthly clue how to do it....
i have the stuffs...just not the know-how

shouldn't you have books or guides if taking a class? have you tried a SW forum??? tons of info on SW on the web screwy.gif
SpecialK
Well I'd do it this way....depending on which version you're using.

Cosmetic Threads
A cosmetic thread represents the inner diameter of a thread on a boss or the outer diameter of a thread on a hole and can include a hole callout.

The properties and functionality of cosmetic threads include:

You can represent threads on a part, assembly, or drawing, and you can attach a thread callout note. You can add cosmetic threads to conical holes. If the conical thread does not end at a flat face, it is trimmed by the curved face.

A cosmetic thread differs from other annotations in that it is an absorbed feature of the item to which it is attached. For example, the cosmetic thread on a hole is in the FeatureManager design tree under the Hole feature, along with the sketches used to create the hole.

When the pointer is over a cosmetic thread, the pointer changes to .

Cosmetic threads in part documents are inserted automatically into drawing views if the drawing document is in ANSI standard. A copy of any present thread callout is also inserted. Thread callouts are not used in ISO, JIS, or other standards, but you can show them with Insert Callout on the shortcut menu (see the next paragraph). To insert cosmetic threads from assembly documents into drawings, click Insert, Model Items and select Cosmetic Threads. In ANSI drawings, one copy of a cosmetic thread callout is also imported into a sheet.

In drawings, Insert Callout appears in the shortcut menu. If a cosmetic thread callout is defined in the part but is not displayed in the drawing, you can display the callout by selecting this menu item. A leader attaches to the thread by default. The callout is a note. You can edit the callout as you would edit any note.

If you add a cosmetic thread while working in a drawing view, the part or assembly is updated to include a Cosmetic Thread feature.

You can attach notes to both the circular faces and silhouette edges of cosmetic threads. You can dimension both the circular cosmetic thread and the linear dimension of the sides in drawings. You can dimension the silhouette edge of a cosmetic thread to a sketch entity. You cannot dimension cosmetic threads in part or assembly documents.

A cosmetic thread that is created in a part cannot be deleted from a drawing, but it can be hidden and shown. To hide or show a cosmetic thread, right-click the cosmetic thread and select Hide or Show.

The visibility of cosmetic threads follows the visibility of the owner feature. When you change display mode, add features to the Show Hidden Edges list, or hide a component, the visibility of cosmetic threads changes automatically.

You can reference patterned cosmetic threads.

You can display cosmetic threads on assembly feature holes. The cosmetic thread appears only on the last component cut by the hole.

For tap and pipe tap holes, you can add cosmetic threads in the Hole Wizard.

NOTE: For tapped holes with cosmetic threads created in the Hole Wizard, the hole diameter is the diameter of the tap drill. For tapped holes without cosmetic threads, the hole diameter is the outer diameter of the thread.

To insert cosmetic threads:

On a cylindrical feature (a boss, a cut, or a hole), click the circular edge where the thread begins. If the feature is a conical hole, select the major diameter. If the feature is a conical boss, select the minor diameter.

Click Cosmetic Thread on the Annotations toolbar, or click Insert, Annotations, Cosmetic Thread.

In the Cosmetic Thread dialog box, select the thread to apply.

Click OK.

To edit a cosmetic thread:

In a part or assembly document, right-click the Cosmetic Thread feature and select Edit Definition.

Make the necessary changes in the Cosmetic Thread dialog box, and click OK.

To specify the line style and weight for cosmetic threads in the active drawing document:

Click Tools, Options. On the Document Properties tab, select Line Font.

In the Type of edge section, select Cosmetic Thread.

Choose a Style and Thickness from the lists.

The Preview box shows the results.

beer.gif

compliments of Solidworks 2003 "HELP".
bd1308
QUOTE (MattR @ Apr 18 2005, 12:33 PM)
For threads:

First, make a cylindrical extrusion (extrude a circle with diameter of the inner part of the thread, or the small diameter)
create a helix by using threads per inch to define the pitch (threads per inch should be given)
make a triangle on the front plane with the correct dimensions

make sure the midpoint of the lower segment of the triangle is on the beginning of the helix

go to loft and loft that mofo and you're done

now its just the same for a nut, but you work with the inside.

i have ptitch and everything...this thing has a pitch of .2 inch.....so i extruded the circle and i need to draw triangles on the surface of the cylinder?
URY914
Get out your Machinist Handbook.

What? You don't have one? OMG! Kids these days rolleyes.gif

OK, do what those guys said.

Paul
MattR
You need to draw one triangle, then draw a helix and loft the triangle about the helix.
9144guy
muller i saw a set of crome on yours on the hook .. what was those
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.