Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front turn signals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikey
I'm sorting out the wiring to the front turn signals. I have the US ones (orange) rather than the Euro ones (orange/clear). There's one bulb with 2 filaments in in each receptacle. The terminals on the back of both the left and the right receptacles are BL, 31 and 57. I'm installing a new (factory) wiring harness.

I have three wires coming out of the harness in both right and left fenders. On the left side there's a brown wire, a black/white wire, and two wires together (gray/red and either gray/black or white/black). On the right side there's a brown wire, a gray/red wire, and a black/green wire. Can anyone tell me which wire goes to which terminal?

TIA
Evill Ed
QUOTE (mikey @ Apr 18 2005, 11:01 AM)
I'm sorting out the wiring to the front turn signals. I have the US ones (orange) rather than the Euro ones (orange/clear). There's one bulb with 2 filaments in in each receptacle. The terminals on the back of both the left and the right receptacles are BL, 31 and 57. I'm installing a new (factory) wiring harness.

I have three wires coming out of the harness in both right and left fenders. On the left side there's a brown wire, a black/white wire, and two wires together (gray/red and either gray/black or white/black). On the right side there's a brown wire, a gray/red wire, and a black/green wire. Can anyone tell me which wire goes to which terminal?

TIA

The browns go to 31. The blacks with the tracer stripes go the the BL and the grays go to 57.

Ed
mikey
Thanks Ed! aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
Dave_Darling
If you ever forget, you can figure it out for yourself.

Brown wires are ground wires in our cars. Always, unless someone's been hacking things up. The ground for any light bulb socket is the side of the socket. So use your ohmmeter (or continuity tester) to check which of the three tabs on the back is electrically connected to the side of the socket. That's the ground, and gets the brown wire.

The "hot" wires will connect to the two metal tabs you can see down at the very bottom of the socket. And frankly, it doesn't really matter which one you attach where...

--DD
mikey
Thanks Dave,

I knew "the ground is brown" but wasn't sure if the other two wires had to be on their specific terminal.

Does it matter where the two wires on the round side markers go?

Mike

Dave_Darling
It definitely does if any of the metal bits on the rest of the assembly touch the ground part of the socket. (They do on the license plate lights, that I know for sure!) If not, it probably doesn't matter too hugely, but I would still put the ground wire on whichever terminal is connected to the side of the socket.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.