Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ain't no party like a valve adjustment party!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JustinMeier
The Ghost needs to have a valve adjustment done.. While I think I am competent enough to handle this I figured I should probably have people there that know exactly what they are doing to point and laugh when I mess something up.

I'll have stands, ramps, a creeper (not me), air hookups, a swamp cooled garage, beer, a fully stocked bar, and of course the BBQ. I'm open to time as long as it's not before about 10 biggrin.gif

Saturday 10/8 in Glendale AZ at 51st St and Olive roughly.
phatnine11
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Oct 3 2016, 10:32 AM) *

The Ghost needs to have a valve adjustment done.. While I think I am competent enough to handle this I figured I should probably have people there that know exactly what they are doing to point and laugh when I mess something up.

I'll have stands, ramps, a creeper (not me), air hookups, a swamp cooled garage, beer, a fully stocked bar, and of course the BBQ. I'm open to time as long as it's not before about 10 biggrin.gif

Saturday 10/8 in Glendale at 51st St and Olive roughly.

Justin,
Glendale AZ or CA??
JustinMeier
Oh yeah, AZ hah!
Toast
icon_bump.gif
Ansbacher
Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Valve adjustment calls for the undisturbed concentration of one single individual performing the task, with no interruptions, jocularity, etc. from a group of bystanders.

Ansbacher
JustinMeier
You mean I shouldn't have a friend come DJ with his laser lights and the open bar is a bad idea?
914_teener
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Oct 4 2016, 04:20 PM) *

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Valve adjustment calls for the undisturbed concentration of one single individual performing the task, with no interruptions, jocularity, etc. from a group of bystanders.

Ansbacher

Whoa....jocularity...wasn't that word in American Pie?

I'd come over Justin but Glendale AZ and not CA is too far.
bdstone914
Do you have a valve cover gasket set? and the feeler gauge tool?
altitude411
You mean I shouldn't have a friend come DJ with his laser lights and the open bar is a bad idea?

I'd come down, (God knows I could use the road trip) but my doctor told me I had to quit starring at lasers and the fucher(s) that dress me in the jacket with the sleeves that buckle won't let me drink any more mad.gif so... Sorry I'm out. dry.gif good luck on the ad justin ment
(free scratch...er um, bump) huh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTMnz_OG9rk
JustinMeier
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 4 2016, 05:16 PM) *

Do you have a valve cover gasket set? and the feeler gauge tool?

Yes, I come prepared. Even got the curved one and an extra blade.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Oct 4 2016, 06:11 PM) *

I'd come down, (God knows I could use the road trip) but my doctor told me I had to quit starring at lasers and the fucher(s) that dress me in the jacket with the sleeves that buckle won't let me drink any more mad.gif so... Sorry I'm out. dry.gif good luck on the ad justin ment
(free scratch...er um, bump) huh.gif

I could throw in some strippers.. beerchug.gif
altitude411
Busted the buckles & fueling the car as I type... drunk.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif cheer.gif aktion035.gif
MoveQik
Wish I could, but that is fall break for our kiddo. sad.gif
JustinMeier
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Oct 5 2016, 12:28 PM) *

Wish I could, but that is fall break for our kiddo. sad.gif

No prob! Enjoy!!
Heeltoe914
Hope you have other things to do on the car? Even the first time will take less than 1 hour.
But will still be fun.
porschetub
Hopefully someone will turn up with a remote starter switch ...real handy for bumping the engine over if you have the plugs out.
Toast
Justin I hope someone can stop by and help. Valve adjustment is important. I probably won't be able to make it. Not that I could help much. But I always liked being part of the support crowd if not at least former eye candy.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 5 2016, 11:12 PM) *

Hopefully someone will turn up with a remote starter switch ...real handy for bumping the engine over if you have the plugs out.

I'm not taking the plugs out, it's been suggested to leave them in so that carbon deposits don't get in to the valves.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Toast @ Oct 6 2016, 06:44 AM) *

Justin I hope someone can stop by and help. Valve adjustment is important. I probably won't be able to make it. Not that I could help much. But I always liked being part of the support crowd if not at least former eye candy.

Former? Did you turn 80 overnight?

Darn, I was going to have you be the cheerleader cheer.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Oct 6 2016, 11:15 AM) *

I'm not taking the plugs out, it's been suggested to leave them in so that carbon deposits don't get in to the valves.

If your car has any sort of decent compression - take out the plugs.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 6 2016, 11:32 AM) *

I'm pretty sure it does.. Yet another thing to add to the 'need to look at' list.
JustinMeier
And so the journey starts.. Out to collect tools, quick errand then tearing the covers off and getting dirty.

I guess we'll make this a SLITS Show today.. Stay tuned laugh.gif
stugray
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 4 2016, 06:07 PM) *

Ansbacher

MASH - Father Mulcahy

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 6 2016, 12:32 PM) *

I jack the car up and put one rear tire on a ramp and the other side on a jackstand.
Then you can turn the floating wheel with the trans in 5th and I can turn the engine with one hand with plugs in.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 8 2016, 12:44 PM) *

I jack the car up and put one rear tire on a ramp and the other side on a jackstand.
Then you can turn the floating wheel with the trans in 5th and I can turn the engine with one hand with plugs in.

agree.gif

That is how I do it on /4 - not sure if your 2.7L /6 has more compression?
cpavlenko
QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 8 2016, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 4 2016, 06:07 PM) *

Ansbacher

MASH - Father Mulcahy

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 6 2016, 12:32 PM) *

agree.gif
JustinMeier
That's a fantastic idea!

I've decided I need a house, garage and a lift.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.