Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #746 is on jackstands
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I did a brake inspection, changed out the rear springs, pulled the distributor for a part # and am replacing one of the oil lines above the chain cover.

What year and car is this dizzy from? I'm going to order a Pertronix module.

KT
Trekkor
up...
Trekkor
Here's a good shot of the SRP front bar set-up
Trekkor
200# rear schprings... boldblue.gif
Trekkor
I'll get the oil line repaired today and put it back on.
Clean up the distributor ( paint it? )

I'm trying to locate the Pertronix before the weekend. unsure.gif

I may slide the front bar one click towards soft confused24.gif

KT
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (trekkor @ Apr 18 2005, 03:53 PM)
What year and car is this dizzy from?

is there a Porsche part number on that thing anywhere?
9x1.602.nnn.nn

i don't have a cross-reference of Bosch numbers to Porsche numbers.
Cap'n Krusty might...
smg914
Bosch type 0 231 159 001 were used in the early 911 and 911L engines. Workes great in the 2 Liter 911T engines.
Trekkor
When you say "early" do you mean 65-67?
Other #'s on the motor tell me it's a 67 2.0.
Parts guys want to know before they order the Pertronix. wink.gif

KT
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (trekkor @ Apr 18 2005, 04:43 PM)
When you say "early" do you mean 65-67?
Parts guys want to know before they order the Pertronix.

other than stuff like the number and type of vacuum capsules and advance weights and springs, all the Bosch dizzies are pretty much the same, at least up until they did the reverse-rotation thing...

all Porsche 6's through 1969 were 2,0 engines - the 2,2's came out in 1970 and even they use essentially the same cast-iron body.

i can't imagine why it'd make ANY difference what distributor you have up until at least the 3,0's and the breakerless ignition...

so - '67S, '68L, '70 914.6 -- alla same AFAIK (for the purpose of instralling Pertronix guts...)
Trekkor
Pertronix lists a differant part for 65-67, 68, 69-73.
Mine uses a #"1866", which will be here weds or thurs. clap.gif

Got the oil line repaired, installed, dizzy back in, engine is timed and tested with no oil leaks. Done early and went for a bike ride in the park with my wife. wub.gif

KT
TravisNeff
Hey Trekk, I just jumped from 150's to 250's tonight. I was afraid I would be real, real sorry that I want to punish myself so bad with such stiff springs.

But, I was wrong, it balanced the car out with the big torsion bars and big sway bar up front. Anyways the car really likes to turn in more than before. Whuuupaaasss.
Trekkor
I haven't put the wheels back on yet.
Looking foward to the new feel.

Thanks for the good news from your end. Better handling is call for celebration.

KT
nebreitling
what's your setup, travis? rear bar?

n
Trekkor
Done!

Ran the 200#'s up and down the vineyard lap. Super smooth. I thought it would be bone jarring. Nope.
Feels great and the car rotates smoother and flatter.
Feels much more stable to me. I like it...alawt. wink.gif

Pertronix came at 11:15 this morning as well. they work.

KT
Eddie914
How did you set the timing?

Did you have to get under the car with the timing light?

Thanks

Eddie
Trekkor
I used the sight hole between the engine and trans. on top of the motor.
I was listening last year when somebody said "mark the flywheel".

I marked TDC with a yellow "T", 120* and 240* for valve adjusts with yellow lines and 30* timing mark with a red line.

KT
TravisNeff
My setup is:

22mm torsion bars
22mm sway bar (set at 1/2 way right now)
250lb rear springs
Koni sports all around.

Car feels firm and planted. Cowl shake is pretty rough going over hacked up roads - but when I get my engman kit actually welded in the car that should be all but over with. Other than that it is a nice ride. Not bone jarring, actually I think it stabilized the ride over the 150's front was plenty stiff and the back end was flopping around (meaning suspension up and down going straight down the road) balance in a straight line if you will...

Alignment is done -1.3 camber in the front 2.3 in the rear (couldn't get any less due to the tires hitting the fenders).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.