Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV/axle options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
I need to source new CVs/half shaft assemblies for my track car. It's putting out something like 270hp from a 2.5 six. I know that renegade has high performance axles sets and tangerine racing has options as well, just curious what the best option might be. I'd love to support someone here if possible. Ideally if like complete axle as lies I an swap in since rebuilding them isn't one of my favorites things to do. I have cores....
Mike Bellis
What size CV's?

This place has the best pricing.
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/porsche-930-...moly-axles.html
Cracker
You have a PM.

Tony
stownsen914
Are you running 914 CVs or bigger ones? The 914 CVs aren't available anymore, so some are using modified Beetle joints (same size and almost the same thing). Some folks are upgrading to 944 joints, which requires 100mm stub axles and tranny flanges, and a modification to the 914 axles. Or upgrade to 911 or 930 axles/CVs(pricier).
Mark Henry
I went with the 108mm early 70's 911 CV's, stubs and hubs, trans input shafts and sway-a-way axles. You can buy full assembly halfshafts from many of our vendors, you have to toss the 911 axles for the sway-a-way axles. After that it's a bolt on.
Stubs and hubs, trans input shafts come up for sale in the classifieds, but some gougers came out of the woodwork when it became known as a hot set-up.

To save a bit of coin I found that G50 CV's will work with this combo, but has no gasket relief cut into it. I had the boots, if you don't just get the complete halfshafts.
mepstein
I did the early 911 set up with the sway a way axles for my 3.2 per Eric Shea recommendation. Great combo. Parts have gotten pricy but it's a bolt on solution.
vintage914racer
I've been spending all of my free time underneath my 914 getting it ready for a track day tomorrow and therefore I've not checked in on this thread. The good news is the car is ready. I still, however, want to figure out CVs for the future....

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Oct 4 2016, 10:33 AM) *

Are you running 914 CVs or bigger ones? The 914 CVs aren't available anymore, so some are using modified Beetle joints (same size and almost the same thing). Some folks are upgrading to 944 joints, which requires 100mm stub axles and tranny flanges, and a modification to the 914 axles. Or upgrade to 911 or 930 axles/CVs(pricier).

Right now I'm running 914 CVs. Can beetle CVs handle much torque? Owning a 1966 bus I can attest to a complete lack of torque. Obviously a 914-6 with a warmed over engine puts out significant more torque.

Mark Henry
Beetle and 914 CV's are basically the same with just a couple of minor mounting differences.

My 67 bug with a 901-911 trans has beetle outer and 914 inner CV's, at 180hp they are still holding up.
But the Beetle is an almost 500lb lighter car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.