Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crap! /6 throttle cable question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I am quickly putting my /6 together for the WCC and don't have a /6 cable for my throttle. Can the /4 be used? Anyone got one that they can send me? With out it, I am screwed. I am using the factory /6 bell crank location so length is an issue, insn't it?
Thanks!
Brad Roberts
Call TerryCable RIGHT now. They can ship one out before 3pm.

They run about 45.00$

Cant use the 4cyl if you have the rear throttle pivot on the tranny.

B
Brad Roberts
800-854-4691

B
Trekkor
Here's my set-up a la Root. Uses a 4 cyl Terrycable.
I've never seen the other SIX set-ups. confused24.gif

KT
Brad Roberts
I'm sorry Trekkor, but that looks like hacked DOG SHIT.

This is my personal opinion and not the opinion of "the club"

There is NO way I could show that product to a customer and feel "proud" to offer it.

The cable end on the 9146 cable is threaded for a ball/socket end and not a slip fit like the one you have. The 9146 cable housing is a tad longer than the 4cyl.

I'm sure yours works.. (cause I have seen it) just hard for me to "subscribe" to it.

B
Dr Evil
Thanks, Brad. I had to work, so I missed the 3pm time slot and will have to call in the morning.
Trekkor
Brad, kinda rude don't you think? No need to insult me.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why you would want to say that out loud. confused24.gif

You should know that I'm using Dan Root's prototype bell crank that he gave me. So you're really insulting him.
He has sold many of these units to happy club members converting to SIXES at very fair prices.
Very smooth operation, simple, set and forget.
I've never had a SINGLE ISSUE with it...NEVER.

Plus I was able to use my near new four cyl Terrycable instead of buying another one for a *correct* SIX throttle control that I would have also bought. idea.gif

KT
Dr Evil
In defence of Dan Root and his customers (with supposed bad taste), of which I am one, he advertizes his stuff as "back yard Bob style." No pretention, just function.

Brad, your remark seemed uncharacteristic of you, IMHO. Are you alright? Need to vent? Whats up big B?
Aaron Cox
sorta harsh B ohmy.gif
it works. function over form i guess. helps more people get sixes more economically. BTW, who sees it?

mike Z has an over the top style.. like a 4cyl car on 'manfred'
J P Stein
Whatever......here's the factory set-up which only looks Rube Goldbergish biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
Does anyone recall me being an asshole ? It didnt fade. No Trekkor.. I did not know that you had his prototype. Remember.. we all have an opinion. I'm entitled to mine. People ask me all the time for my opinion. Feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Listen guy's. Here is the scoop:

Each conversion that is done remotely half ass... we ALL pay for it. I have seen conversion after conversion (V8 and six) get ripped apart here and on other forums. When the standards drop.. so will the prices. This is not something we want. I know.. I know.. "I'm never going to sell my car" I've heard it a million times.

I'm having a hard time explaining this. The V8 conversion guy's know what I'm talking about. They get a bad rap 80% of the time because people half ass the conversions and it turns other people off from the idea (literally limiting the amount of conversions based on all the half-assed ones running around) that people see.

Hurray.. for all the people who can use the cheapest parts to get into a 6 conversion (when 90% of the factory parts are still available)
Root_Werks
sad.gif

That is a prototype I used to get dimensions from for a jig. Took me a little while to figure out how to make the motion smooth and linear. The finished ones look much, much nicer than trekkors.

I pulled my six conversion parts from the resource section quite a while ago because of comments like Brads.

Not everyone has $300 to spend on a throttle cable. I was just trying to help some folks out. My system enabled you to use the 914-4 cable and only spend something like $65 on my part. I have like 4 units still in boxes. I just pulled one out and put it on with very little adjusting on my newest six project. I think they are better than factory 914-6 units. But everyone is entitled to thier opinions. unsure.gif
rhodyguy
mike, have who ever you order from ship it Express Mail via USPS and you will have it in 24 hours delivered to your door. should be under $20.

k
Dave_Darling
Dan, do you make/did you design the bolt-on bellcrank setup that we carry? It also uses the 914-4 cable (cheaper than the Six cable) and it also bolts onto the transmission so you don't have to tap and drill. It looks, umm, a wee bit different than the one in Trekkor's pic. (I'm pretty sure it costs significantly more than that one did, too.)

--DD
MattR
Those bellcranks scare me (bad experience in the 912 one afternoon right before the freeway onramp).

Can you attach a pully to the trans and run a cable all the way up?
Aaron Cox
here is zois's economical way of doing it. similar to a /4
user posted image
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Apr 19 2005, 10:21 AM)
Dan, do you make/did you design the bolt-on bellcrank setup that we carry? It also uses the 914-4 cable (cheaper than the Six cable) and it also bolts onto the transmission so you don't have to tap and drill. It looks, umm, a wee bit different than the one in Trekkor's pic. (I'm pretty sure it costs significantly more than that one did, too.)

--DD

I didn't.

I wanted to make a one piece design that still used the factory ball and cups and a stock 914-4 cable. The kit I sell has 2 pieces. The unit itself and a rod. See my Avitar for a better (small) picture. It is a very sturdy unit and the design rocks. I guess if I had some peices laser cut etc. It would even look factory made. idea.gif I make them all by hand. Sold tons of them, but not for a while now.
Root_Werks
Here is a rather poor pic of one installed.
sixnotfour
when 90% of the factory parts are still available

Better check and prices.

I agree with you brad in some aspects, but these are not million dollar cars.

Mostley they make people happy, because they are so universal. big bucks to no bucks.

Good Luck on the cable Dr. beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Hijackers!!! Just kidding.

I ordered the cable today, but alas i will not be driving my /6 to WCC. The weather has been crap to work on the car, I have to sort out the ignition system still, and last night my best friends father passed away so I will not be at WCC on Fri probably. Skline said that I could drive his 2.0 if I needed a car. If not, I might not go at all. In lihg tof things, my problems are small.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.