Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
acebee
Hi Forum Members

Just joined the forum today..this is my first post on the 914world...

please forgive if this is not the correct place to ask the question..

i had purchased a 1972 ( Dec 1971 build on the data strike plate ) and have used it for an year without any problem..

It has a 1600 or 1700 cc displacement..not sure which..with dual webber 40 IDA setup with computune & pertronix coil for ignition

most of the electric stuff seems stock for carb setup it is .. being smog free most of the other electrical stuff was removed..like buzzer, seat belt warning et all..

the car does not stop..when i turn the ignition switch off .

i had to pull the ignition coil to dizzy cap wire & then disconnect ground from battery to stop the running facet fuel pump

seems there is electrical feedback in the system..

should i have to replace the ignition switch and the voltage regulator ( bosch stock version with the yellow tape ?).. does the order matter..

Is there any other gremlin.. the real culprit ?

ConeDodger
Ignition switches go bad. In fact the new replacements are sometimes bad! blink.gif
ConeDodger
welcome.png
Dave_Darling
Fiddling with the electrical system can result in very strange problems. I wound up with a car that would run as long as the left turn signal was on. I caused it by using the wrong type of light bulb (single-filament instead of dual) in the left taillight bucket...

--DD
falcor75
Start the car and turn it off again, then when it keeps running press the brake pedal. If it shuts down then you have feedback voltage thru the alternator light.

There is a thread on pelican: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...l-not-stop.html
bretth
Wth? Does that mean someone could start a 914 without a key if they short out the tail light and push start the car?

Brett

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 4 2016, 01:12 AM) *

Fiddling with the electrical system can result in very strange problems. I wound up with a car that would run as long as the left turn signal was on. I caused it by using the wrong type of light bulb (single-filament instead of dual) in the left taillight bucket...

--DD

Cuda911
QUOTE(bretth @ Oct 4 2016, 05:50 AM) *

Wth? Does that mean someone could start a 914 without a key if they short out the tail light and push start the car?

Yes, but you can only turn left.
Shadowfax
welcome.png
acebee
QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Oct 4 2016, 08:45 AM) *

welcome.png

Thanks..
acebee
QUOTE(acebee @ Oct 3 2016, 09:39 PM) *

Hi Forum Members

Just joined the forum today..this is my first post on the 914world...

please forgive if this is not the correct place to ask the question..

i had purchased a 1972 ( Dec 1971 build on the data strike plate ) and have used it for an year without any problem..

It has a 1600 or 1700 cc displacement..not sure which..with dual webber 40 IDA setup with computune & pertronix coil for ignition

most of the electric stuff seems stock for carb setup it is .. being smog free most of the other electrical stuff was removed..like buzzer, seat belt warning et all..

the car does not stop..when i turn the ignition switch off .

i had to pull the ignition coil to dizzy cap wire & then disconnect ground from battery to stop the running facet fuel pump

seems there is electrical feedback in the system..

should i have to replace the ignition switch and the voltage regulator ( bosch stock version with the yellow tape ?).. does the order matter..

Is there any other gremlin.. the real culprit ?

Is there a definitive fix ..like change a relay or similar beside inserting diodes in the circuit..
I understand there is a suggestion to insert a diode for the hot start problem too..
Fixed that..by servicing the solenoid mechanism after desoldering it ..no more bump start..

The 911 1.5kw starter in christmas stocking..seems to be the solution.
acebee
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 3 2016, 09:45 PM) *

welcome.png

Thanks Cone Dodger..

I am the squirrel dodger..
acebee
Confirmed on my December 1971/1972 model

- pressing Brake shuts off the Engine/Fuel pump kinda synchronously...

I will have to put in the 1N4001 diode in series.. on the Gen Lamp lead

Based on the pelican parts forum post - i need to find if it is the Blue wire as mentioned or the Red & White wire..seems there is confusion on that post ( Year /Model differences ?)

Big mystery to me is how come this never used to happened till date..& suddenly started

Fact : no electrical modifications were made to this 1972 914 - though I plan to put in aux fog lamps soon.
57lincolnman
After two ignitions switches that both went bad, I use a starter button. I turn the ignition switch to the accessory position, put in the clutch and press the starter button. Yeah, it's a bit like starting a '49 Dodge but at least it's reliable.
euro911
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 3 2016, 10:12 PM) *

--DD
I can attest to that. I removed all the exterior lighting from my first 911 to refurbish the housings. I thought I'd remember where all the wire connections went, so I didn't label the wires.

A few months later when I reinstalled them, had a strange issue pop up. Now, this was 40 years ago, so I don't remember exactly how the sequence went, but IIRC, the ignition was in the on position, parking lights on, left turn signal on, foot on brake pedal, clutch pedal in and shifting into reverse - the engine cranked over yikes.gif

Good thing the car was on jack stands.

Ended up being incorrect tail light wiring that cause the oddity.

welcome.png
euro911
QUOTE(57lincolnman @ Oct 12 2016, 09:43 PM) *
After two ignitions switches that both went bad, I use a starter button. I turn the ignition switch to the accessory position, put in the clutch and press the starter button. Yeah, it's a bit like starting a '49 Dodge but at least it's reliable.
I did something similar in my old '68 Bug (wiring in the column went bad). I yanked to whole mess out and ran the harness to a plastic box, installed a toggle switch and a push button. Ran it for a year or so until I fixed it correctly with a new harness.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Oct 4 2016, 09:06 AM) *

QUOTE(bretth @ Oct 4 2016, 05:50 AM) *

Yes, but you can only turn left.

Then you short out both bulbs.... nice try Mike... dry.gif biggrin.gif
euro911
laugh.gif
Cairo94507
welcome.png Well at least you are in the right place to figure the gremlins out.
Cracker
Welcome. You have an unusual problem - most of these folks have troubling starting theirs...good for you!

Tony
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png :

Good luck with your 914 program....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 13 2016, 05:59 AM) *
Welcome. You have an unusual problem - most of these folks have troubling starting theirs...good for you!

agree.gif

Buy a set of jackstands, put the car up and let it run until it's out of gas.

Then let it sit there for 10 years before you attempt a quick fix that will turn into a full blown restoration.

That's how most of us got started ...
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.