Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plasma Cutter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Anyone have a recommendation on a plasma cutter suitable for chassis repair? What is cost of consumables? I am looking for something better than cutting wheels.

Mueller
Home Depot sells them now, Everlast is a decent brand from what I have read and seen reviews of on youtube

Home Depot plasma cutter

I have a Longevity combo TIG, Stick and Plasma that'll easily cut 5/8 steel which is more than I need!

I've had mine for a few years and have yet needed to buy new consumables for the plasma cutter.

I use a Harbor Freight decicant air drier and have a large compressor.

There are some plasma cutters that have built in air supplies.

Do you have 110v or 220v? Some smaller units are the lower voltage, some are dual. Mine is 220v only.
Cory M
I have a small Miller unit. It can be switched from 110 to 220v. There aren't really any consumables unless you are burning up or plugging the tip, but I've had mine for years and never had to replace anything.
dflesburg
I got mine about 8 years ago. Its a small Hobart, cost around $600 I use it all the time. Never use the nibbler or the saw anymore, still use the cut off wheel for some things but its a tool you need.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Oct 4 2016, 12:27 PM) *

Anyone have a recommendation on a plasma cutter suitable for chassis repair? What is cost of consumables? I am looking for something better than cutting wheels.

Some of the chinese machines are getting pretty good, Everlast and AHP seem to be popular. You would want a name brand for production work, but for a home shop use you can't beat the price of these machines.
Size depends what you are doing, you only need about 20amps for sheet metal, 60 amps will cut a half inch steel easy.

One thing about plasma is you need a regulated, clean, super dry air supply. You can use a cheap HF desiccant air dryer, but then you also need an air filter, as the desiccant tends to break apart into a fine powder. So make sure you add that and all the fittings needed into your budget.

As for consumables you can get stuff from china off of ebay for cheap, but you have to order your supply a month before you're using it.

BTW I just bought a bunch of MIG tips and nozzles from Miller, all said "made in China". rolleyes.gif

thomasotten
Any good Made in USA brands?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Oct 4 2016, 08:14 PM) *

Any good Made in USA brands?

Nothing is made here anymore... sad.gif Except for Chinese Food!
914forme
HyperTherm, not USA made but USA assembled. 70% of their products are exported, and the company 1300 employee strong.

Oh and they cut great beerchug.gif
Perry Kiehl Clone
I got mine from HTP in a bulk purchase with my TIG. It's been a good unit, even after a former (clown) employee couldn't follow basic instructions and tried to kill it.
Curbandgutter
I use hypertherm. Love it. When I need consumables I go to any local welding supply and they will have it. USA company too. It is a must have. When you use plasma for chassis work you'll wonder how you did it before. They are fabulous. If you use a straight edge it will cut through sheet metal as good as an abrasive but at least twice as fast.
PlantMan
I have been looking at the Eastwood units. I have their MIG, and minus the questionable regulator, it is a nice machine. I would assume similar quality from their Plasma units.
Their customer service is outstanding!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.