Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinion on screw in wheel studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I have a wide five disk brake conversion on my Speedster rep. It retains the use of beetle lug bolts. Beside not having the correct look, the bolts are pretty darn short. I would really like to convert the car to studs and lug nuts.

The screw in and locktighted studs would be very easy, but I don't know if they are considered safe. Anyone have any experience using them?

Thanks -
Scott S

Mueller
QUOTE(Scott S @ Oct 4 2016, 09:43 AM) *

Hi All -
I have a wide five disk brake conversion on my Speedster rep. It retains the use of beetle lug bolts. Beside not having the correct look, the bolts are pretty darn short. I would really like to convert the car to studs and lug nuts.

The screw in and locktighted studs would be very easy, but I don't know if they are considered safe. Anyone have any experience using them?

Thanks -
Scott S

Used by many BMW race teams, I've used them on my other 914s with no problems, I think RobS had some issues with his, I think loctite would solve it.

Really no different than the bolts used on newer vehicles. (actually a stud and nut is better)
Rand
Sure makes it easier to mount wheels. Hey audio_file, do you know how these were done?

Click to view attachment
Optimusglen
I've used them on one of my old daily driven BMW's, no issues. No track use though.
Chris914n6
The hip thing to do these days is grade 10.9 bolts thru the back with loctite to secure them.
audio_file
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 4 2016, 10:02 AM) *

Sure makes it easier to mount wheels. Hey audio_file, do you know how these were done?

These are Motorsports Hardware stud and nut kit specifically for the 914. I like them particularly because they have the hex wrench cutout on the ends so you can be sure they're really tightened into the hub when you install them. As per their instructions, I used a dab of the lightest strength locktite when they were installed, and I've never had one try to "back out"

Hope that helps!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.