Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this switch under the dash?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surfdogskier
I have no idea what this is or does. I can't find anything on it. It is a turning switch with a wire attached to it. I havent tore my dash apart yet to figure out where it goes. It is a turn style switch. I wondered if it was some type of kill switch since I can't start my car for the life of me. Do any of you have this or is this stock?
db9146
Its the odometer reset. Twist it and it rolls through all of the digits on the odometer to reset it to "0000".
SirAndy
QUOTE(db9146 @ Oct 4 2016, 12:32 PM) *

Its the odometer reset. Twist it and it rolls through all of the digits on the odometer to reset it to "0000".

agree.gif
PanelBilly
Turns the rust preventative system off. Once this has been activated the car begins to fall apart.
TheCabinetmaker
Ejection seat switch
Catorse
Muffler bearing oiling port
Frankvw
On a serious note: do NOT turn it while driving....
surfdogskier
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 4 2016, 04:24 PM) *

Ejection seat switch

Is there any way I can switch it to the passenger side?....I could use it on a few people I know.... happy11.gif
surfdogskier
Thanks guys for the input!... beerchug.gif
rfinegan
Agreed ....
On a serious note: do NOT turn it while driving

QUOTE(Frankvw @ Oct 4 2016, 12:31 PM) *

On a serious note: do NOT turn it while driving....
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(surfdogskier @ Oct 4 2016, 03:55 PM) *

Ejection seat switch

Is there any way I can switch it to the passenger side?....I could use it on a few people I know.... happy11.gif

Yes. Just switch the wires around. beerchug.gif
BillC
It looks like it might be missing the knob that goes on the shaft. It'll be harder to turn without the knob. IIRC, the knob is held on with a set screw, which probably came loose and let the knob fall off.
Rand
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 4 2016, 02:38 PM) *

QUOTE(surfdogskier @ Oct 4 2016, 03:55 PM) *

Ejection seat switch

Yes. Just switch the wires around. beerchug.gif

laugh.gif

I won't crack a joke about the knob being in the drivers seat. Love this group.
theleschyouknow
I heard or read this somewhere recently (probably on here) but I liked it

always check the nut holding the wheel first biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
cjl
Alfieg23
Is this reset knob accessible if my car has the A/C vents running along the bottom of the dash? I can't seem to locate it.

QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Oct 4 2016, 08:13 PM) *

I heard or read this somewhere recently (probably on here) but I liked it

always check the nut holding the wheel first biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
cjl

malcolm2
QUOTE(db9146 @ Oct 4 2016, 02:32 PM) *

"0000" if you are lucky..... mine stops on 0010 every damn time. drives me crazy. And mine is not attached to the btm of the dash.

Some PO pulled it out and re-installed the nut (that rusted) so mine just dangles, never to be attached again.
malcolm2
hey, where are you in East TN. Good to see another Tennessean on the board.

I am in Mount Juliet.
Frankvw
"Is this reset knob accessible if my car has the A/C vents running along the bottom of the dash? "
YES. I have that and it is there....
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Oct 5 2016, 03:38 PM) *

"0000" if you are lucky..... mine stops on 0010 every damn time. drives me crazy. And mine is not attached to the btm of the dash.

Some PO pulled it out and re-installed the nut (that rusted) so mine just dangles, never to be attached again.

Just pull it out of the back of the Speedo can. Its just poked in a hole. Unrust it, and stick it back in. beer3.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Oct 5 2016, 04:40 PM) *
hey, where are you in East TN. Good to see another Tennessean on the board.

I am in Mount Juliet.

He's in my neck of the woods... Sevierville.
Trying to find time to go over and help him get things straightened out.

driving.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 5 2016, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Oct 5 2016, 03:38 PM) *

Just pull it out of the back of the Speedo can. Its just poked in a hole. Unrust it, and stick it back in. beer3.gif

I tried the unrust process, but it didn't work. So I either get a new cord or live with it. I think the 1 mile starting point comes from the odometer not the cord.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.