Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT...Adhesive/glue for plastic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
So the tool abusers have handed off another patient, a Wagner 91460s
(does that count as Porsche topic? rolleyes.gif )...anyway, I opened it up to find that the pressure switch housing has broken, thus not allowing the unit to shut off, and build too much pressure. I think that may have affected the prime valve, but that's not for certain.

Anyway, has anyone got a solid suggestion for an (unknown) plastic glue? The back of the adjustment stem does get captured in the rear housing, so I think that takes most of the stress.

I've got epoxy, model glue, JB Weld kicking around but I'd like to get a one and some thing going.

TIA,

Joe
Valy
Epoxy is not good for plastic. The model glue is good only for certain plastics.

What I recommend is the following:
1. Use some steel wire to secure the pieces if possible.
2. Use superglue (the instant glue that glues everything in 5sec) and baking soda. You build a support structure around what's broken to increase the contact surface. Put a bit of glue and then add some powder. Then remove the excess powder and add more glue and more powder unitl you're.satisfied. The result is a very hard polymer that you can file and paint if needed.
Porschef
Interesting. Thanks, I'll give it a try. Would you advise removing a little material to allow for more adhesive to provide surface contact?

A pic

Click to view attachment
Valy
In this case I would just make 2 wire stitches. I guess that the other part looks the same so more stitches there.
Drill 1mm holes and use 1mm security wire to stitch.
Mike Bellis
This stuff is awesome and will bond almost any plastic.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HNFLM...=UTF8&psc=1
Chris914n6
White plastic... that's bad, specially if it's slippery. Probably Vinyl based like pvc. If you can't order a replacement part then a mechanical fastener is needed. The glue bond won't hold with a strong force against it, like it seems that part does.
Valy
Here is an example of something similar. The left was the same as the right bump before it broke. It is constantly under load as there is a spring and button on the other side.
In this case I couldn't stitch it due to the size. I did make a wire crown around it to help stabilize everything and then built the crown up with superglue and baking soda. It looks a bit messy since it is vertical surface and the glue kept leaking down but the repair is pretty hidden so I painted it black and don't care much about aesthetics there.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.