Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Penske/Porsche to race prototypes?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john rogers
Here's the link: http://www.penskeracing.com/news.asp?chaid=81070
BatFromHell
Let's hope to god it isn't a Cayenne prototype laugh.gif

If they start out with the new V10 from the GT, that will
be a good start. driving.gif
Stutgart46
This is the story from dailysportcar.com.
It's about damn time.
Penske Motorsports Enter LMP2 Porsche In ALMS
With Spa and Road Atlanta underway, we’ll post this release in its entirety, with additions below shortly.

ATLANTA, GA, April 15, 2005 - In response to increasing customer demand and to raise the excitement level in American sports cars racing, Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA),and Porsche Motorsport North America (PMNA), today revealed they will embark on a new racing program created for customers in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS). The two organizations have commissioned their parent company, Porsche AG, to design and construct a racecar that will be eligible to compete in the LMP2 (Le Mans Prototype 2) class of the ALMS. It will be the first Porsche-built prototype racecar since the 1998 Porsche 911 GT1.

Penske Motorsports, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Racing, Inc., will field the new Porsche prototype in its first full season of competition exclusively in 2006. One of the world's most successful racing organizations, Penske Motorsports has a rich racing history with Porsche highlighted by winning championships in the 1972 and 1973 SCCA Can-Am series campaigning the legendary Porsche 917/10 and 917/30 race cars. It is anticipated Penske Motorsports will debut the new Porsche prototype at the final two races of the 2005 ALMS season, the Oct. 1st Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta and the Oct. 16th season finale at Laguna Seca, as test events before entering the entire 2006 season.

"Our American racing customers have made it clear to us that they would like to move up several levels in ALMS competition, as would we," said Peter Schwarzenbauer, PCNA President and CEO. "We believe this new Porsche prototype program will provide the perfect means to do so and will generate added enthusiasm for sports car racing in America, especially with Penske Motorsports as our partner and initial entrant."

Porsche's current ALMS customer program, administered by PMNA, is confined to the GT2 (formerly GT) Class, where Porsche customer teams have captured a record 47 victories resulting in Manufacturers Championships in five of the past six seasons primarily racing variants of the production-based Porsche 911 GT3. It is the latest in more than 30 years of highly successful North American Porsche customer racing programs that have featured such famed Porsche racecars as the 934, 935 and 962.

"PMNA is fully committed to provide the same level of customer support for this new ALMS prototype program once it reaches fruition," commented PMNA President, Uwe Brettel. "Indications are there is real interest in a racecar such as this for the LMP2 class."

PS: We caught up with Norbert Singer at Spa earlier today. He admitted that he had been involved, as a Porsche consultant, "on the aerodynamics of the new car," and that the engine will be a "brand new one". He reinforced the comments above - that North America is "Porsche's largest road car market," hence the entry of this car into the ALMS. Herr Singer suggested that Porsche's factory drivers would be undertaking the initial testing. Emmanuel Collard has just gone fastest at Spa this afternoon, in the Pescarolo Courage - he would do, wouldn't he?

Julian Cooper, senior engineer at Lola - and a host of other people today - were fascinated to hear this news at Spa. "It will be nice to have someone to beat," said Cooper. Jon Field - you have a challenge...

Contents Copyright © dailysportscar.com. All Rights Reserved.

URY914
The factory called me and wanted me to build the cars, but I wasn't home. They said if I didn't call back within an hour they would call Penske.

I just miss them.... sad.gif

Paul
john rogers
I remember something like that a loooong time ago and now we have Microsoft for our wonderful operating system!!!!
ppickerell
All you Cayenne haters realize that this announcement which is MONUMENTAL is in large part due to the Cayenne and Boxster's success in the marketplace. Look out Audi, your reign is coming to an end. Last years ALMS at Laguna Seca was fun because it had some night racing but Audi made it look easy. Maybe differnt this year. I will be there for sure.
BatFromHell
ar15.gif Cayenne
ar15.gif Cayenne
ar15.gif Cayenne
Don't forget the Cayenne killed the prototype program in '98.
Don't see a Cayenne on your list of impressive rides. What's up with that? confused24.gif
MattR
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Apr 18 2005, 08:25 PM)
Look out Audi, your reign is coming to an end.

The R8 is P1, the new Porsche will be P2. Different classes.
The Audi's will stay dominant until Porsche makes a P1 biggrin.gif

Honestly, I hope porsche works out the kinks in GT2 class. The Panoz won last weekend and Timo Bernhard's GT3 couldnt pass the Esparente in the last 15 minutes of the race. And they 997 didnt look any better than the 996 on the track. There didnt appear to be any significant improvement (compared to the Corvette C6R over C5R).
fiid
Got to say that anyone who says the 914 is NARP, and drives or likes the tourenne is a hipocrite.

As for the Porsche - they are responding to the market - I can't really criticise them for that. It's like the media - if people want crappy news then that's what they will get - same goes for cars.
As SUVs go, the Tourenne is one of the better ones in just about every department.
grantsfo
I was hoping Porsche would get into NASCAR with a V8. smilie_pokal.gif
jwalters
dry.gif Even down here in SoFl I have personally seen only TWO ( 2 ) cayennes on the road----

Wonder ifn they are thinking they should have let well enough alone---obviously the stinking rich do not like em either--

I have seen these on the roads routinely:

Ferrari ; (1) F40, (1) ENZO--(about 75) 360 Modena's , ( 1) 250 cammer, ( over 100 ) magnum PI's---

Porsche ; (1) Carrera GT ....that was really KOOL!! (about 25000) 911's in various year models and like, (3) 914--not incl my own, (1) 928, (44,000) boxsters--these are really hot down here(12) 944's, (7) 356's, (2) 550's--not Becks, the real thing

Aston Martin, Lotus ( my division officer just got an elise ), Lambo, Mclaren, and a Buggatti--about 1 each--

Fu^k the cayenne--- flipa.gif barf.gif

What was really intersting is I saw all these cars tooling down the interstates!!! biggrin.gif
MattR
Geez, I couldnt count the number of Porsches I see down here. I do live next to NewPorsche... er... Newport. One day I went to the beach and saw some 55 porsches in one day, 12 ferraris, and 3 lambos. No joke.
Stutgart46
For those that believe that the Cayenne was the end of the '99 LMP car I think that you should look at our friends over at Audi. Rumor has it that they called Porsche and asked them to step down for a couple of years so that they could be in the limelight. Porsche willingly stepped aside.
Now fast forward almost a decade, and Audi doesn't have anybody to play with. So this time they call Porsche and ask if they'll come back. Porsche said okay but we're going to kick your ass.
It's my understanding that the LMPII car will be debuted at the Petit LeMans and will then be sold to customers through Penske and Porsche will debut a factory LMPI car at Sebring next year.
We can only hope.
MattR
A Porsche P1

ohmy.gif

I cant wait. They should just call 24 hours the Porsche cup with entrants by Porsche in P1, P2, and GT2. We can only assume they wont enter the Cayenne in GT1 dry.gif
Mueller
This is great news....I've always pulled for Audis, but my allegiance might have to change smile.gif

I'd love to put a Cayenne in my garage...just have not won the Lotto yet biggrin.gif

a guy on the 911 Pelican site wrote a few weeks ago about a Cayanne basicly handing his a$$ to him on an on ramp...smoked the 911 (modifed SC) across the light, hit the apexs perfectly and flew onto the freeway MDB2.gif

I did the Porsche sponsored test drive of the standard S and Turbo Cayanne last year....I hit corners and speeds that would have left my lowered/modifed 911 spinning like a childs toy.....
ppickerell
I don't particularly like the Cayenne myself. It'a a matter of simple economics. Porsche wasn't just debating to race or no, their very existence as an independent carmaker was threatened and the Cayenne/Boxster marketing duo pulled their nuts out of the fire. I don't give a fig whether you like the car, soccer moms with sugar daddies dig it. I'm just glad to see them racing again. The flat 6 has had it's run, and where they go with this new powerplant will dictate their success IMHO. Will it be the CGT engine or some hunky 8?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.