Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: to bumble bee or not?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

I have an opportunity to buy a rusty tub for cheap that I normally would run away from, except for the fact that it's a legit bumble bee (with COA). It's missing a lot of stuff...like the original engine and the wheels. It does have the font spoiler and valances.

The dilemma is i'm pretty sure it'll cost way more to restore this car than it will ever be worth. But I can't bear the thought of it being cut up.

I'm wondering what the brain trust thinks.

If properly restored with a period correct engine, what do you think a #1 or #2 quality non-numbers matching LE could fetch?

stevegm
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Oct 4 2016, 11:20 PM) *

Hi Guys,

I have an opportunity to buy a rusty tub for cheap that I normally would run away from, except for the fact that it's a legit bumble bee (with COA). It's missing a lot of stuff...like the original engine and the wheels. It does have the font spoiler and valances.

The dilemma is i'm pretty sure it'll cost way more to restore this car than it will ever be worth. But I can't bear the thought of it being cut up.

I'm wondering what the brain trust thinks.

If properly restored with a period correct engine, what do you think a #1 or #2 quality non-numbers matching LE could fetch?

Yes, bumble bee. It will out appreciate a comparable non-LE car (non-matching), long-term. Even without the numbers-matching engine. By how much, is anyone's guess.
Larmo63
Do it. Just do it correctly.
JeffBowlsby
We have recent example sales illustrating this very issue. A non-original, period correct engine reduces the value of an LE car by 30-40%.
Chris914n6
The value today or years from now when you're done? poke.gif

The extra value of the LE is rarity thus collectability. Wrong engine and it's just a tribute with a VIN.
boxsterfan
Any idea what happened to the original engine? If you know the original engine is toast (perhaps it grenaded itself) vs just missing in action, it might help your decision.

if I new the engine was toast and gone forever, I'd build an LE /6 with it.
stevegm
It's an LE whether it has the original engine or not. Just less desirable than a numbers-matching car. As they appreciate, the lack of the original engine will matter more and more. But the appreciation should pull the value of the non-matching car up, to some extent, as well.
iankarr
Thanks, guys. These are all great points.

The original engine is long gone. No one knows were it might be.
mepstein
If they lost 30-40 % without the numbers matching engine, maybe they just weren't a good salesperson. Its certainly a much higher % than what is usually expected.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 5 2016, 12:17 AM) *

I'd build an LE /6 with it.

I like this idea- nice 2 litre six & 5 lug Mahle gas burners, painted of course. As if it was a factory bumblebee on steroids. This would not be cheap, but it would be wicked cool happy11.gif
EdwardBlume
If you like the LE, then enjoy it. If its for the money, then don't do it. Everything beyond the motor is replaceable.
mepstein
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 5 2016, 08:26 AM) *

If you like the LE, then enjoy it. If its for the money, then don't do it. Everything beyond the motor is replaceable.

agree.gif they are just numbers on an engine. Only matter for bragging rights and made up values at resale. Nothing to do with driving and enjoying the car unless you let others people's perception of the car needle you.
Cracker
Run. Easier projects to complete.

T
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 5 2016, 08:42 AM) *

Run. Easier projects to complete.

T

agree.gif Run. You should continue the search for that Ravenna that your wife wants.
malcolm2
If you "run" let someone here know about the sale. Somebody would take it on. Maybe the guy looking at Craigslist Cadillacs that has been talking to squirrels. He admitted he needs a project. Wasn't he in NY?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2407094
Chris H.
Yeah unless you want an LE pass on it. You either want one really bad or you don't. Adding rust repair to it makes it worse. Someone else on the board might be interested though. If it's in jeopardy of being cut up maybe pass the info on to Jeff B or someone who could spread the word that it needs to be saved. Could already have some PMs about it.

You're probably right too that you'll never find the engine if it's not with the car. It's not like a 6 where you have a shot.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Oct 4 2016, 10:20 PM) *

To me, if you are asking this question, you're doing it for the wrong reason. Do it for the love of the car. No matter what, you most likely will not get back what you put into it.

If you have the COA, post the engine serial number on every Porsche and VW site and maybe you can track it down. Some people have been lucky enough to find their matching engine.
PanelBilly
Send it to the crusher and raise the value of other CanAm cars. get the front spoiler and brackets first
iankarr
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Oct 5 2016, 09:49 AM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Oct 4 2016, 10:20 PM) *

To me, if you are asking this question, you're doing it for the wrong reason. Do it for the love of the car. No matter what, you most likely will not get back what you put into it.

If you have the COA, post the engine serial number on every Porsche and VW site and maybe you can track it down. Some people have been lucky enough to find their matching engine.

Thanks. I never expect to get my "investment" back. I believe that enjoying a collector car is the best (and only guaranteed) return. What's different in this case is that the spread between the cost to restore and the realistic value could be off the charts, which is why I wanted to poll the brain trust. At a certain point, I can envision being so far under water that it would affect my enjoyment. Trying to avoid that. This time at least wink.gif.
iankarr
...and...

If I decide not to move forward, of course I will share the top secret location of the bumble bee bunker so others can save it from the crusher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.