Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does this wire go to?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surfdogskier
Can anyone tell me what this wire went to? It was located around the cold start plug. I was trying to see what it went to and ended up breaking off the wire and the plug. It is a large plug. I wonder if this thats something to do with my car not starting. The wire looks to be white or beige. There is another wire that is connected to some below this one that looks to be the same size.

My haynes porsche book isn't worth a crap trying to find out this stuff.

Thanks in advance!
914fahrer

Check the connection to the cylinder head temp sensor and or the thermotime switch.
Both have this plug.Perhaps this helps http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/HarnDia_FI_W71-72.jpg
914_teener
If that is a D-jet car and the CHT lead is disconnected....unless it is connected to ground....the car will not run.

surfdogskier
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 5 2016, 03:14 PM) *

If that is a D-jet car and the CHT lead is disconnected....unless it is connected to ground....the car will not run.

Mine is a d-jet. Maybe this has been my issue all along. Thanks!
surfdogskier
QUOTE(914fahrer @ Oct 5 2016, 02:53 PM) *

Check the connection to the cylinder head temp sensor and or the thermotime switch.
Both have this plug.Perhaps this helps http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/HarnDia_FI_W71-72.jpg

Thanks for the link! I am goin to print this and keep it for future reference.
Valy
If it's a brown wire, it goes to ground on one side. Just find out where the other end goes...
smg914
The missing connection should go to the AAR. Auxiliary Air Regular
smg914
The RED wire is what you should be looking for.
malcolm2
It is tuff for the forum to help with wiring. You are going to get 100 different ideas. If one end of that wire has a connector on it, look for the female (or male) part somewhere very damn close to it. If it is brown there might be a hidden case bolt with 4 or 5 spades on it that are all grounds, they should all have a wire on them, if one is missing.... TA DA. short of that......

I sing this guys praises every chance I get. The one I bought is not EXACTLY perfect, but it is a HUGE help.

PROSPERO'S GARAGE LINK

for $20 even an electrical illiterate like me can get things done. Look for your car in the list and buy one today.

Click to view attachment
76-914
Caution: exposed "old" red wires turn BROWN with age. beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
The CHT does have that type of connector on it. So does the sender for the oil temp. But the one in the area you mention just about has to be the one for the AAR, as SMG posted.

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
I agree with Dave and smg. Only connector insulator like that in that area. If it grounds it blows the fuse on the relay board and the pump won't run. The aar wire just simply unplugged will not keep the car from running unless it shorts.

Malcolm, this forum is generally amazing with electrical diagnosis!
malcolm2
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 5 2016, 06:10 PM) *

Malcolm, this forum is generally amazing with electrical diagnosis!

Hope no one was offended.. But a good diagram can't be beat. And i have found that while pictures say 1000 words… Sometimes you are on your own for a few days.

I am always thankful for help, and options, who would'nt be?
pbanders
QUOTE(surfdogskier @ Oct 5 2016, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 5 2016, 03:14 PM) *

Mine is a d-jet. Maybe this has been my issue all along. Thanks!

My page (in my sig) has detailed D-Jet troubleshooting information. If your car isn't running, don't assume it's the FI. For the car to start, basic mechanical (compression), electrical (battery voltage), ignition (spark when cranking), fuel supply (pressure when cranking), BEFORE going after the FI. Make sure you have all of the parts of the FI system, the harness is connected correctly to the FI components, and that you have done basic checks on each of the components (see my page). Use a noid light (Amazon) to check that you have signal at each of the injectors, and if necessary, pull the injectors and verify that they're spraying fuel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.