Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 death trap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
#1RAGE
I'm just wondering how many get a little nervous sometimes driving your teeners.

Just the other day I was almost in two accidents.

The first one I saw coming. I was driving down a street with lots of parked cars and I spotted a minivan coming out of an alley. I hit my brakes hard before I was at the alley and the woman driving the van just saw me as I was slamming on the brakes. She hit her brakes too and stopped before she was sticking out too far. Still, if I wasn't really paying attention I bet we would have collided.

Then less than 15 minutes later I was driving down a wide open street at about 30-40 mph and another parked minivan just pulled out as I was getting really close to it. 914's are great at swerving around morons like that but there was a bus coming from the other direction and I just barely avoided it as I swerved around the van. If the bus was any closer I would have not been able to swerve around and the van would have probably pushed me into the busses path... and that wouldn't be pretty. mad.gif

I've even narrowly missed getting smacked by a Miata! Some guy in a Miata was beside me at a stop light. He was complimenting my car and we had a nice little chat while waiting for the light. Then the light changed and we both turned (2 left turning lanes). Right after we turned he almost whipped into my lane when I just slightly behind him but thankfully he shoulder-checked just before it was too late. At the next light he appologized and said my car was so low he didn't see it. huh.gif

I'm also afraid of being beside pickup trucks and large SUV's. Once I was pulling up to a light and a guy in a pickup in the next lane almost ran over me because he probably just checked his mirror and didn't see anything. Luckily my 914 has a loud horn. pray.gif

So many people don't shoulder-check. It really bothers me.

It can be scary out there. I much prefer driving when there is little traffic.

Sorry about the long boring post. What are your experiences driving a small, low car surrounded by idiots?
grasshopper
me!!! my dad and i were riding down the road when the man infront of us stopped at a red light but realized he was over the line and proceded to back up. Im lucky he heard my horn. i try to aviod trucks and SUVs. but thats almost impossible
Hammy
Those damn soccer moms. smile.gif I have the same experiences. Very often people pull out halfway onto the road before slamming on their brakes because they plain just don't see me. Just a while ago I saw a huge Chevy blazer with those monster tires on, almost as tall as me. Imagine what it'd be like if that guy didn't see me. unsure.gif
#1RAGE
Oh yeah... that's the other thing. I've had a few scares when people decide to backup when I'm behind them. Thank god for the horn! biggrin.gif One time an old lady almost didn't stop when I was laying hard on the horn... she probably couldn't see or hear me. wacko.gif
Joe Bob
Drive like you are on a motorcycle....think like they don't see you, don't care or they are driving with their head up their ass....

Always leave an out....
Bleyseng
I almost get run off the road all the time from Moms in minivans using cellphones. Kids in back screaming, so they just don't have enough brains left to drive.......

This is when I am in the 4x4 Ranger pick up.. if I am in the 914 I drive like a manic to avoid being in people blind spots or to pass idiots. Hey, it works! no wrecks driving the 914 for 10 years in city traffic. Hehe, I love it when Monique says drive it, baby! We are late!

Geoff
ArtechnikA
1) situational awareness is your friend - ALWAYS pay attention to what is going on around you.

2) air horns.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Apr 18 2005, 07:41 PM)
1) situational awareness is your friend - ALWAYS pay attention to what is going on around you.

2) air horns.

Working properly, the factory horns are plenty loud enough (except for the guys that have their stereos at 100+ decibles).

I agree, always be aware of your surroundings. People constantly ask me why I check my rear views so much? Duh!

For the guy in the front of you? Don't follow where you can't be seen in their rear views. I try to keep far enough to the left so I can see their face in their mirror.

In coming traffic is just that. INCOMING!!!!! ar15.gif
jgiroux67
Ok thats it, I'm adding a loud horn. Currently my car doesnt have one at all, but I havent been driving it in a year so no worries there.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Apr 18 2005, 08:00 PM)
Working properly, the factory horns are plenty loud enough

they are loud enough, but they are also pitched like every other horn out there and people learn to tune them out and ignore them - even on the 2-horn cars like Appearance Group cars.

if you just tap the horn button with an air horn, you get a quiet-enough 'beep' for the times you just need the person daydreaming in front of you when the light turns green to pay attention. hold it in long enough for the compressor to really spool up and you get a sound that people will at least notice, if not pay attention to.

in my part of the world, all school busses have aircraft-style strobe lights; presumably, people have learned to ignore the 50-foot bright yellow barge and need a flashing strobe light before they'll pay attention...
mskala
I've been lazy about leaving the horn off, since I take
it off for autocross anyway. Car had 2 aftermarket
air horns (non-functional) when I bought it and now
I realize what they were there for. Will look into
something _really_ loud really soon.
Dave_Darling
I absolutely refuse to drive a small car without a working horn. Since everyone on the roads here has a permanent "rectal-cranial impaction", you're dead if you don't have some way of telling the morons that yes, there is a car here, you butthead!

Sadly, that only works "most of the time".... sad.gif

--DD
scotty b
I see that kind of crap every day in my 924. Difference is I WANT them to hit me so I can get some $ for the car and quit dealing with trying to sell it laugh.gif
"Yes sir officer thats an 82 924, it's the last year for them, so it's kind of a collectors car."
"It's a damn shame it is beyond repair."
"Yes sir, it really breaks my heart"
fiid
Good reasons to have a roll cage if you ask me :-)

I have become enthralled lately with the 2 million candlepower sport lights. They ought to be good for getting other driver's attention, adn they plug into the cigarette socket :-)
TheCabinetmaker
they are loud enough, but they are also pitched like every other horn out there and people learn to tune them out and ignore them - even on the 2-horn cars like Appearance Group cars.

I disagree! My two tone horn sounds like no other, and they are "very" loud. Besides i refuse to put (or use) an air horn (read redneck truck crap) on my 914.
Dr. Roger
The thing that's kept me alive for 30 years of motorcycle riding is....

Drive like they're trying to hit you. No, REALLY! blink.gif
biggrin.gif
BIGKAT_83
I get no respect in the 914 people pull out in front of me. You have to be on the look out all the time.

I just don't understand it. Hell I've got the same pistol in it as the Dodge Ram truck that I drive and they don't do it to me in the truck.

Bob.......... smilie_pokal.gif
#1RAGE
I've only been driving for 5 years so I'm not that experienced yet but sometimes there is nothing you can do.

I do drive my parents van and truck sometimes but I don't act like I own the road and I still drive defensively even though I'm not as afraid of getting hurt by someone else.
iiibdsiil
What I do is usually go faster than most people are, but try to stay away from being the fastest person on the road.

It doesn't matter what I am in, if I am going the same speed as traffic, someone (usually female) tries to switch lanes into me.

I also love the when I am on a 2 lanes each way highway, and I am doing 85 mph, and you are in the left lane doing 65, don't get out of my way, so I get in the right lane, after waiting patiently behind you for a good mile or so, and when I switch lanes to pass in the right, you decide that you are finally going to switch lanes to let me pass headbang.gif
andys
Hey, size does matter biggrin.gif

My full size Dodge van conversion rarely gets mistaken for not being there! Few ever cut me off, nor pull out in front of me. Only problem is people don't like following, so they pass only to slow down.

Andy
skline
All this stuff doesnt only happen in 914's, I bought my yellow truck not only for the beauty, I bought it for its bright hard not to see color. This morning within just minutes of getting on the freeway, I was almost involved in two accident because women in SUV's cannot drive. They should make it illegal for women to drive SUV's. They just dont watch where they are going or dont care because they are in big safe vehicle. It's a bunch of crap.
iiibdsiil
^ Hahahahaha

You should see my moms fiance in his Hummer H2...
BMartin914
All i can say is drive DEFENSIVELY. Here in Colorado there are so many morons in their full size SUVs and pick ups on the the freekin cell phone driving between the center and left lanes, not signaling and NEVER shoulder checking. I get asked why don't you drive you car to work? I say, take a look at the other drivers on the road and take a wild guess...they can't see you and don't even try. When you can't be seen by a minivan driver you are SOL when it comes to some dumb soccer mom in an H2. ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

Rant over.
Brett W
I always driver very aggressively and pay attention. Drive like everyone is blind and not lookin' for anything but their desitnation and you will be much better off. Look down the road and always have an exit strategy. Use that horn. Throw stuff if you have to. Always keep a half full bottle of Dew to throw if you need to.
scottb
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 18 2005, 07:34 PM)
Drive like you are on a motorcycle....think like they don't see you, don't care or they are driving with their head up their ass....

Always leave an out....

that's exactly how i drive my car. mine has been lowered and is 3'10 tall so i am out of sight for many cars and ALL trucks/vans.

but my horn is shorted somewhere so i need to get that fixed asap!
Joe Ricard
I agree with Rich. Drive like a motorcycle. Always leave an out. also be aware of the fact that you are low and most people won't see you at a glance. When coming to an intersection if you don't see both on thier eyes lookig at you then they didn't see you.

Yellow cars do stick out better. not to mention faster. biggrin.gif and my stock horns will scare the bejeebiez out of an old crusty Harley rider.
Mr.C
I always have my driving/fog lights on. I also use the Smith driving principles.

Even though, I was still rear ended at a stop sign a few weeks back in the work truck. I was waiting for my turn leaning forward sipping some coffee and then WHAM! My head gets slammed back and coffee ended up all over the windshield. It was so violent if felt like I did a back flip in my seat! Lady was a school teacher who was tardy and her new high heels slipped off the brake.
BMartin914
Somewhat of a thread hijack...

My horn doesn't work because that small tab on the pad broke off. I have tried to fix it twice but when I reconnect it, it won't go off. I know I need it badly. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix it?
tat2dphreak
I can totally relate... looking at the car next to you and realizing you cannot see there passenger window, but you can see their drive shaft is certainly disconcerting... and then seeing the dirver is on a cellphone is flat out scary!! I usually stick to the frontage roads and side streets in my teener... 75 is not my friend!
Bleyseng
Driving my green Westy is worse than the 914. Everybody HAS to pass and get in front of me and then slow down. WTF we are on a freeway and it not like I am going slow in it.

Geoff
balljoint
Crap. I sold my lambourghini for the same damn reason, I thought a 914 would be safer. 'prolly a good reason to have a slightly noisey exhaust (another motorcycle safety tool).
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (balljoint @ Apr 19 2005, 08:53 AM)
Crap. I sold my lambourghini for the same damn reason, I thought a 914 would be safer. 'prolly a good reason to have a slightly noisey exhaust (another motorcycle safety tool).

LOL, my last teener had one of the 4-port Monza exhausts... that thing made rednecks and bikers look around everywhere... insanely loud!
mudfoot76
Also alarming: I've noticed an increase (locally) in the number of monster trucks driving around on the streets. Just last week while driving the teener, one of these mammoths passed me on the interstate. The tires must have had an outer circumference of at least 40", and the bumpers would have impacted the teener right around the top of the targa bar in a collision. I know I live in a bass-ackwards state when it comes to vehicle regulations, but there has to be a limit to this insanity. Even someone in a "normal" sized passenger car would likely be decapitated in a side-impact with a monster truck like that...

My motorcycle riding friends who've been in my 914 have all made comments about having to drive it in the same manner as riding a bike -- always presume that nobody sees you (or worse, it trying to flatten you). I also have a number of friends who have taken up bicycle riding, and some of them actually do carry things like half-full 20oz soda bottles to throw at cars. They say it is payback for all the times a**holes in cars/trucks have thrown garbage at them. I suggest carrying a paintball gun and plink a couple shots off at the offending bastard(s) flipa.gif
Dead Air
I've seen a new trick lately...You're coming to a red light on a two lane street in the city, one lane each direction. And some looser coasts up behind you and passes you on the right IN the PARKING LANE and tries to beat you through the intersection. I'd like to shoot the a**hole that invented that one!! mad.gif
Dead Air
Passes you on the right as the light turns green, that is.
Joe Bob
How about this one....three lanes waiting for a green....the left hand turn guy jumps thru the intersection just when the light goes green making everyone going straight to cram on the brakes.... flipa.gif
MarkG
The top of my bright red (Ferrari red suprisingly enough!) 308 GTSi was below the window threshold of most cars - I could park it next to my Saturn, walk around the Saturn and not see the 308 at all.

18 wheelers scared the heck out of me....it is very scary to look directly across from you only to find your face is even with the hubs of a Semi!

As bright red as that car was, it was almost like I was invisable....and expect the same in the 914!!
#1RAGE
That was the other thing I forgot to mention and I'm glad someone reminded me...

Is it acceptable to drive around with (yellow) foglights on? In the daytime they don't seem too bright but when the sun is going down I think mine may be too bright and they shine way further down the road and to the sides than my headlights.

So in the daytime I like to have my foglights on. Sometimes with the running lights (headlight switch pulled halfway out) when it starts to get a bit darker out.

Huge semi trucks don't scare me as much because they're usually trained well enough to really watch out for people coming up beside them. I always make sure to stay far away from them whenever I can.

And speaking of monster trucks... just the other day I saw a thread about this accident:

http://www.idahostreetracing.com/phpBB2/vi...746550a957dbd13
icon8.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (#1RAGE @ Apr 19 2005, 12:17 PM)
Is it acceptable to drive around with (yellow) foglights on?

acceptable to who?

once upon a time, in California (where i know you are not...) it used to be illegal to run "auxiliary" lights without the headlights on. so the first place to look is your vehicle code.

nowadays, with all new cars required by law to have Daylight Running Lights, i'd guess it's not as big a deal.

"the purists" make fun of cars that run with fog lights on when it is not foggy.
but "the purists" make fun of the 914 already, so screw 'em...

but if you were just asking my permission, go ahead...

jr91472
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Apr 19 2005, 09:27 AM)
Is it acceptable to drive around with (yellow) foglights on?

agree.gif

I run mine almost all the time. These cars as so low, I want the moms to see me before they pull out of Starbucks (and right in front of me). Or the guys turning left on green.
bd1308
QUOTE (#1RAGE @ Apr 19 2005, 11:17 AM)
Huge semi trucks don't scare me as much because they're usually trained well enough to really watch out for people coming up beside them.

yeah freaking right...in KY (since 2000 or so...correct me if wrong)all new licensed drivers have to go to a session on traffic safety....well i went there once and again when i got a 914 speeding ticket (73 in a 55...and not even trying) and I've seen footage of semi-truck drivers T-Boning cars and killing EVERYONE inside....the victim's car is usually shattered to pieces.....I never stay behind/side of or near any semi truck...my mom's friend got killed by a junkyard scrap metal car when a car came off the truck and killed the driver instantly....bad stuff....
mudfoot76
And speaking of monster trucks... just the other day I saw a thread [...]

If that truck had rear-ended me in my 914, I would have ended up a stain on the pavement. That Mustang driver was lucky to have escaped without serious injury based on what I read from that other forum....

If the cops can ticket people for not meeting a MINIMUM bumper height, how about the people in monster trucks, where their front transfer case is more likely to take impact than the bumper? I do not like the monster trucks! ar15.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.