Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving a 4 banger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I finally have my lift back up (ha-ha, no pun intended) and working. However, I didn't have the 6 repaired in time for the Temecula Wine Run. Not to be denied, I pulled Whitey out of retirement, cleaned her up and put her back into service.
What I re-discovered is how nice the car is to drive. piratenanner.gif I really enjoyed the change and besides the rush of a six's acceleration, the 4 banger is more than adequate. Well balanced, smooth and yes, entertaining.
Unfortunately, I'm now at the crossroads. I had been tinkering with the idea of A) selling it as it's appreciated greatly in 7 years; B) drop that spare 3.0 into it; or C) drop a 3.6 in it. And now there is a D) TOH the 2.0 4. I know, I know. 1st world problems. An enjoyable quandary at least.
Here's a Toast to the 4 banger. beerchug.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 5 2016, 07:15 PM) *

agree.gif I'll drink to that! 4-banger, when running well, still puts a smile on my face aktion035.gif
914forme
E) -4 Subaru Turbo power
flmont
I say keep it stk,..for the future,..after my 3.3 build,.I have a 74' that I want to build for stk use. FM
My 914
I say if you feel like you're done with the 4 and have an opportunity to sell, it may be time to move on.
Larmo63
It's nice to have a Porsche with a Porsche motor in it.

chair.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 6 2016, 02:49 PM) *

chair.gif

My thoughts also,mind you I didn't cut out my 4 engine mounts incase my motor was poo,really the opposite.
speed metal army
This is a real question?? 3.6 is the answer.
BeemerSteve
If you need to say goodbye to your 4 banger it'll be happy in my orange car that doesn't have a motor. biggrin.gif
Toast
Iffin it aint broke...dont tinker with it.

You are lucky to have a choice. Man what I wouldn't give to drive my 4banger. I go from driving it as a daily driver for 10+ years to watching her sit and rot every day for the last 3. (pity party off)

Get out and drive it!! driving.gif
Cracker
Isn't after "2-years in front of a six" more accurate for a teener? Sell it.

Tony
76-914
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 5 2016, 04:22 PM) *

E) -4 Subaru Turbo power

If I do go turbo I would go w/ the Audi 1.8 & Audi transmission. Powerful, cheap and plenty of them.

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Oct 5 2016, 09:51 PM) *

This is a real question?? 3.6 is the answer.

I know. And they're current. Not to mention looooow milage. smile.gif

QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Oct 5 2016, 10:05 PM) *

If you need to say goodbye to your 4 banger it'll be happy in my orange car that doesn't have a motor. biggrin.gif

I'll keep you in mind , Steve. My last 2.0 sold as soon as I mentioned it was for sale!

QUOTE(Toast @ Oct 6 2016, 06:03 AM) *

Man what I wouldn't give to drive my 4banger. I go from driving it as a daily driver for 10+ years to watching her sit and rot every day for the last 3. (pity party off)

What's wrong with it?

QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 6 2016, 06:09 AM) *

Isn't after "2-years in front of a six" more accurate for a teener? Sell it.

Tony

Well yes, unless I'm backing up.
stugray
I would bet a large sum of money that my measly little "4-banger" would beat any stock 6.

But it......"has CARBS" - the horror!

Brant can still drive right by me on the straights on the track but his is a bit more than a "stock" 6-cyl (and a few hundred pounds lighter to boot) :-)
Heeltoe914
4 Bangers are great runners. Simple and will hold their own in stock condition for the future. Lots of fun to drive in the canyons.
Andyrew
What'll keep you driving a car longer?

If your subaru converion is on the road and will stay on the road then by all means have some fun with another one. But if you forsee some mods to the subaru conversion that will take it off the road then keep it stock for a bit longer.

In the mean time, sell the 3.0, get a 3.6 and start the long process of collecting parts for a conversion. The value of the 3.6 conversions are going to keep the 914 high, whereas the custom stuff, aka the Audi conversion while tempting, fast and much cheaper, will make for a long conversion that wont be able to be done in a short amount of time and will put you off the road for a while.

I had mine off the road for so long that all I want to do is drive it as much as possible..
worn
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 5 2016, 03:15 PM) *

I finally have my lift back up (ha-ha, no pun intended) and working. However, I didn't have the 6 repaired in time for the Temecula Wine Run. Not to be denied, I pulled Whitey out of retirement, cleaned her up and put her back into service.
What I re-discovered is how nice the car is to drive. piratenanner.gif I really enjoyed the change and besides the rush of a six's acceleration, the 4 banger is more than adequate. Well balanced, smooth and yes, entertaining.
Unfortunately, I'm now at the crossroads. I had been tinkering with the idea of A) selling it as it's appreciated greatly in 7 years; B) drop that spare 3.0 into it; or C) drop a 3.6 in it. And now there is a D) TOH the 2.0 4. I know, I know. 1st world problems. An enjoyable quandary at least.

I love the 2056 I drive. It is plenty plenty fast for anywhere I want to go. I think my new six will be a fun car for putting miles behind me straight or twisty. But for driving around town or through the farmland hills the four is great. There is a reason that four cylinders rule the current auto world.
worn
QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 6 2016, 06:54 AM) *

I would bet a large sum of money that my measly little "4-banger" would beat any stock 6.

But it......"has CARBS" - the horror!

Brant can still drive right by me on the straights on the track but his is a bit more than a "stock" 6-cyl (and a few hundred pounds lighter to boot) :-)

Carbs!!! unsure.gif the horror. poke.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(worn @ Oct 6 2016, 08:21 AM) *

There is a reason that four cylinders rule the current auto world.

Its called turbo's evilgrin.gif
914-300Hemi
I love driving my 4 banger 2056 and I can keep up with the 6's I just need to shift more often.
ClayPerrine
Ok.. Just for the record.

Everyone says "Put a 3.6 in it." Putting a 3.6 in a 914 is not easy, but it can be done. There are engine mounts available, but nothing else. Reproduction engine tin will NOT fit without major modification. Heat is a challenge to install, even if you have heat exchangers. There is no engine mounted oil cooler, so you have to plan for a LARGE oil cooler someplace.

Then there is the transmission issue. The 901 is completely inadequate for a stock 3.6. You can find a Vellios or 916 style kit for a 915, but it is still marginal. Or you can do what I am doing, and come up with a custom solution.

Throw in lots of Electrical wiring issues to hook up the Motronic and you have a long project on your hands. ATDT! (Am There, Doing That).

If you want to go Motronic six, put a Euro 3.2 in it. You get all the benefits of Motronic, you can use stock 914-6 heat exchangers and get heat (with a slight loss of HP due to the tube size), and it will work OK with a 901. Using a 70/71 911 clutch setup, you can use all factory Porsche parts to install it.

While I was looking for the 3.6 core motor for my car, I considered just putting in a 3.2. I could have had it installed and running in my 914 in about a month. Betty, of all people, talked me out of it. She said the 4.0 six was my "unicorn" motor, and she convinced me that I would not be happy with anything less. So now I am on a year long build.

Regarding your car, you need to do what will make you happy with the car. Don't worry about resale value, or what other people would think. It's your car. If you want to go find a GNOME 5 cylinder radial engine and install it in your 914, I will applaud you and admire the workmanship it took. Or just keep it stock.

socal1200r
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 5 2016, 09:49 PM) *

chair.gif

Well, the 914 isn't a real Porsche anyway, so the stock 4-bangers should be just fine...
euro911
2056s are the tits. A small cc increase coupled with a mild cam and C/R increase really wakes these little '4s' up.

Click to view attachment

Just ask some of they guys running 3.2L '6s' who followed me through the twisties happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

oldschool
Yup I like my 4......But I never really driven a 6 for a long trip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.