Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ogchopsticks
Can anyone suggest what could be the culprit? The motor runs rough at 5-10 mph (car jerks back and forth), huge plumes of blue tint smoke come out of the engine bay, and there is audible grinding from the passenger side motor area. wacko.gif
pbanders
Need a lot more detail. Engine size, FI or carbs, ignition, general condition, etc., etc.
Frankvw
it can be a lot of things, so more details are needed, but the worrying/interesting part of your story:
"audible grinding from the passenger side motor area. "
Is this noise there only while driving or also when the car is parked with the motor on ?
in other words....is it the engine that makes that noise or maybe another component in the 'motor area'....
Bulldog9
I'm thinking trolls ............
TheCabinetmaker
Or just one troll maybe.
Ogchopsticks
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 5 2016, 11:19 PM) *

Need a lot more detail. Engine size, FI or carbs, ignition, general condition, etc., etc.

Yeah it's a '73, 2.0, FI, the car had the fuel pump, distributor, and spark plugs changed within a few years. But I highly doubt it's been fully restored.
Ogchopsticks
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Oct 6 2016, 01:08 AM) *

it can be a lot of things, so more details are needed, but the worrying/interesting part of your story:
"audible grinding from the passenger side motor area. "
Is this noise there only while driving or also when the car is parked with the motor on ?
in other words....is it the engine that makes that noise or maybe another component in the 'motor area'....

It's coming from the cylinders
Ogchopsticks
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 6 2016, 07:36 AM) *

Or just one troll maybe.

Only one? If only.
Ogchopsticks
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Oct 6 2016, 01:19 AM) *

I'm thinking trolls ............

Nah engine gremlins
injunmort
your engine is toast
Ogchopsticks
QUOTE(injunmort @ Oct 6 2016, 07:04 PM) *

your engine is toast

Burnt toast to be exact. Good thing I have a fire extinguisher in the cabin haha
pbanders
Start at the beginning. Do a compression test.
injunmort
start at the beginning, get a 914. but seriously, is the noise coming from the master cylinder or one of the 6 in back, need more info.
Ogchopsticks
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 6 2016, 10:59 PM) *

Start at the beginning. Do a compression test.

Gotcha, I'll borrow one from a friend and I'll see how it goes.
Ogchopsticks
QUOTE(injunmort @ Oct 7 2016, 05:47 AM) *

start at the beginning, get a 914. but seriously, is the noise coming from the master cylinder or one of the 6 in back, need more info.

Not sure but it's closer to the front.
injunmort
really, well that helps narrow it down, check the master cylinder.
injunmort
did you replace the master cylinder yet, are you back on the road?
Rand
must resist
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 7 2016, 06:38 PM) *

must resist

Lets admit it we ....miss him?

Welcome back dick head
Rand
I give. Not anymore. Everything grows tiresome eventually. Now that it's worn off here, he'd have more fun over at the Fiat X19 forum.
TheCabinetmaker
Welcome back to "reality" Rand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.