Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dansk sport muffler & AA boomerang
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
It took a bit of tugging, pushing, and swearing, but I finally got the Dansk SS 2-in/2-out sport muffler and AA repro bracket on the car Saturday. The tweaking to get things lined up does not suprise me since the car has not had a stock muffler and hanger on it in years...and since then the whole thing has been rebuilt as a four and then later converted to a six...so engine, trans, mounts for both, headers, etc. are all "new" and still getting aquainted.

Anyways...the muffler seems to perform and sound in a fashion that matches its very steep price tag. The car pulls WAY smoother and "friendlier" thru the powerband than with the megaphones. I know a lot of this is related to the non-optimized carb jetting, but I'm gonna start the next track event with the muffler installed and see how it goes. With the straight pipes, dipping below 4K rpm's is death. With the muffler, the car seems to pull just about as hard all the way up, but is tractable from idle up to 7K without bogging. Nice.

For any -6 guys thinking about these "center outlet" style sport mufflers, I will reiterate that they are L O U D! (Which I knew from prior experience and am fine with...) I cringed when I passed pedestrians or especially cops. As long as you let out of the gas momentarily it's not a problem. But the sound level with the Webers + ITG's & headers + gutted muffler screaming at >4K rpm's is quite substantial. Earplugs would not be a crazy idea.

The awesome thing is that it's a very "high quality sound". There are few car experiences that compare to an early S spec engine sucking and exhaling mass quantities of air right behind your head....woohoo...damn, I love this car. clap56.gif
thesey914
Chris.....get out there with some recording device and then post a link so we can hear it too!!! biggrin.gif

Does it sound like this?????
914Timo
WOW !!!!

That sounded good !!! boldblue.gif
Jeroen
Sounds like water cooled... and ya all know water is for boiling eggs biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
thesey914
You're dead right Jeroen....its a Boxster S. I didn't have anything in aircooled that sounded *rough* only the 904...

Who says four cylinders sound rubbish???
Qarl
Did you get the sport muffler with the two curved exhaust pipes on the end, or the two straight ones out the middle/back?
campbellcj
QUOTE(kellzey @ Jun 24 2003, 06:40 AM)
Did you get the sport muffler with the two curved exhaust pipes on the end, or the two straight ones out the middle/back?

This is the early "factory" style with the two straight pipes out the back, towards the middle.

I know you've been looking around for the "wide" type with the straight pipes farther apart. I'm not sure where to find that flavor but I have seen them in pics and they look sweet.

IMHO the third kind with the curved pipes out the ends seems better suited for a later-model and/or street car (like a 911SC or something). I have seen the Monty setup like this, and it looks great...just not what I wanted for this car.
Qarl
I think someone will have to start makign them... (Attn: Brad Roberts... hint, hint, ahem! cough! HINT!)

Post some pics of the new muffler if you can.

BTW, you've got a sweet car. Of course you started with a nice car to begin with, but you've done a nice job on it. I've been following your progress.

Regards,
campbellcj
Karl, thanks for the kind words. I can't take much credit for the car other than opening my checkbook pretty W-I-D-E, as the PO and my mechanic have done the bulk of the work. The majority of my time needs to be spent making money and being a daddy, so extensive amounts of garage time just isn't in the cards these days.

This is a pic of the muffler from the Elephant Racing catalog (Chuck Moreland; great guy to deal with BTW). I got the "RSR" version which is apparently even more gutted/louder than the normal "sport" version.

Oh yeah...I shortened the tips by 4" as they are super long. The concensus on the Pelican 911 BBS was that there was little or no performance or sound impact to doing this. The extra long pipes are kind of funny looking and highly impractical (driveways) on a 914 anyway.
Qarl
Okay lazy boy... how about pics of the muffler on YOUR car....

Oooohhh shiny! pray.gif
Gint
Cool Chris. But I'm disappointed....

Where are the usual accompanying pictures?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.