Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 flywheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
I am looking for a 65-69 flywheel for my 6 conversion and was offered one locally at a good price.
However the flywheel has small cracks on the surface the question is is it worth installing or will it give me problems? Maybe it needs to be resurfaced and balanced.
If its resurfaced will I have to do anything to the clutch fork position ie install washers etc?

IPB Image

Thanks
Luke M
Use it as a paper weight ... it's no good even if you have it cut it would probably be under by then.
mb911
Looks like it is flaking off too..
porschetub
Sorry but that's really bad ,someone has been driving a long time with a worn out clutch disk.
Catorse
It's a turd. I bought a BRAND NEW one on eBay for $218 - they make brand new repros of this part. Not worth even resurfacing!
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Catorse @ Oct 8 2016, 07:47 AM) *

It's a turd. I bought a BRAND NEW one on eBay for $218 - they make brand new repros of this part. Not worth even resurfacing!

Yes, I have seen the repro flywheels from QSC, the question is are they any good?
They are less half the price but made in China which makes me think bad quality. It would be a PITA to install one and have problems
Catorse
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Oct 8 2016, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Catorse @ Oct 8 2016, 07:47 AM) *

Yes, I have seen the repro flywheels from QSC, the question is are they any good?
They are less half the price but made in China which makes me think bad quality. It would be a PITA to install one and have problems

Not as big of a piece of shit as that one you are looking at. It's a friggin flywheel man. There's not a lot to go wrong, and quite frankly, the 914-6 (and conversions) has a very easily changed flywheel if it does go south.

If we were talking about my two 911s or my 944 or even my 928, I would INSIST on a Porsche product because I would rather shoot my dick off than replace a flywheel on those cars, and I have done about half of them already.

But on the teener, naw, go with the repro. Easy peasy.
mountainroads
QUOTE(Catorse @ Oct 8 2016, 01:35 PM) *

If we were talking about my two 911s or my 944 or even my 928, I would INSIST on a Porsche product because I would rather shoot my dick off than replace a flywheel on those cars, and I have done about half of them already.

But on the teener, naw, go with the repro. Easy peasy.

Serious question and *not* trying to be argumentative: Why do you say that? I've pulled and rebuilt a 911 engine and I've done my own 914-6 tune-ups. Is it really easier to pull a 914-6 engine than a 911 engine, since standard practice is to pull engine and transaxle as a unit on both?

Granted, I'm talking same vintage vehicles. If your comment refers to newer gen 911s, than that I can easily believe. Honestly, just curious. Thanks.

- MR
pbanders
$228 for a new flywheel when previously looking at a POS used flywheel makes me think the buyer would say "me likey" even if the flywheel came from China. BTW, your 90" LED TV came from China, too. smile.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(Catorse @ Oct 8 2016, 02:35 PM) *

I would rather shoot my dick off than replace a flywheel on those cars...

huh.gif icon8.gif blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.