Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found 914 for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billybob
Hello new hear. I have owned many sports cars over the years, my last two were Miatas. I've never driven a 914, though I've always wanted to. I raced go-karts at one point and was told the 914 was the closest thing to a go=kart for the road. I have been doing some research on them. Today coming home I noticed a 914 setting off behind a neighbors house. That's never been there before. High grass around it so it had been there for a bit. I stopped at the house, I did not know them, and asked about it. A lady said it was her sons. He is in the military overseas. He planed or a restoration, but told his mother to sell it. He wanted $500 or best offer. All she new was it did not run. She said I could look it over. The body outwardly had no rust showing. The front on back 'trunks' looked clean, no signs of rust. Could not get to see the motor, or open the doors, but interior looked very good, no rips. The rims looked like they might be original. They are sort of mini mag looking with the Porsche logo in the middle. That's about it. She did not know the year or mileage, but was going to get the title soon. She seamed in a hurry to sell it and said he son might sell it for $400. Question is should I buy it to restore to a drive-able state? Look for a drive-able used one, or just maybe buy it to save it from just sitting. I am 65 now and can store the 914, but thing the cost to rebuild the motor, if needed and the rest would exceed the cost of a good running 914. I hate to see any old sports car siitting maybe to rot away. Heck the local metal scrap dealer would offer $200 for it just to scrap it. What should I do? I am thinking on buying it, saving it for another 914 fan who could restore it. Opinions? Regards,Bill confused24.gif
Millerwelds
buy it beerchug.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Oct 6 2016, 11:21 AM) *

buy it beerchug.gif

agree.gif From your description, it's got to be worth twice that in parts alone - easily. Worth the gamble and you might get lucky. Good luck!
JRust
You won't go wrong at $400 period. Even if the longs are shot but is complete. You'll get your money back no problem.
ndfrigi
take it
Amphicar770
Parts alone are worth far more than $400
sb914
Definitely buy it billybob
JustinMeier
I've seen people take worse for way more... beerchug.gif
porbmw
Buy it

And if it is a parts car....buy another, decent car...and scavenge the parts you need for your driver, then sell the rest. You WILL need parts, unless you buy something of concours quality
iwanta914-6
Even if the longs are shot it's still worth the $400. Buy it, bring it home, take lots of pictures and post them.

Odds are if it was sitting outside with tall grasses growing around it there will be lots of rust underneath, especially being in Florida.

If you choose to not buy it, pass on the info as I'm sure someone in here is willing to take a chance on it.
TheCabinetmaker
Speaking of pictures, you didn't take any?
steuspeed
If you raced go-karts, this is the car for you. One perfect chrome bumper is worth $400. Four Fuch wheels would be worth $400+ (my car has Fuch wheels see avitar). Two original seats in nice condition would be worth $400+. I don't think you could go wrong here.
billybob
Thanks all for the reply's. It will be in dry undercover storage soon. If never back on the road, it at least supply some maybe hard to find parts for other 914s out there. beerchug.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(billybob @ Oct 6 2016, 04:10 PM) *

Thanks all for the reply's. It will be in dry undercover storage soon. If never back on the road, it at least supply some maybe hard to find parts for other 914s out there. beerchug.gif

welcome.png

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
billybob
I'll try to take and post some.
Cuda911
Pix would be extremely helpful. But from your description, buy it! Maybe they will even take $300. That would be amazing. Good find!
My 914
If she seemed to be in a hurry to sell it, she may need the cash and the best thing may be just to go over with the money and make a deal with her.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Oct 7 2016, 12:53 AM) *

Pix would be extremely helpful. But from your description, buy it! Maybe they will even take $300. That would be amazing. Good find!

Her son is overseas in the military, please don't try to drop it another 100 bucks.
billh1963
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Oct 7 2016, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Oct 7 2016, 12:53 AM) *

Her son is overseas in the military, please don't try to drop it another 100 bucks.

I agree. $400 is a steal. If the kid is in the military I guarantee he can use the money.

My 914
I agree as well. She's basically giving it away at that price.
billybob
I put 20 years in the military myself, so I would not drive the price down more. Her original quote to me was $500 OBO, but she was sure he would take $400 because he just wanted it sold. Yet again, those who felt I should not try to drive the price down more, I agree. I think she also might wish the 914 gone. Turns out they are moving and their house is up for sale and they might not feel like hauling it to some place else.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(billybob @ Oct 7 2016, 11:09 AM) *

I put 20 years in the military myself, so I would not drive the price down more. Her original quote to me was $500 OBO, but she was sure he would take $400 because he just wanted it sold. Yet again, those who felt I should not try to drive the price down more, I agree. I think she also might wish the 914 gone. Turns out they are moving and their house is up for sale and they might not feel like hauling it to some place else.

You better jump on it then before it ends up on craigslist.
mbseto
I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It sounds real similar to mine, which I got for a little more than 2k a couple years ago. Body panels are all great, looked fine from the outside. Interior parts all looked good. I could see problems in the hell hole, and the door gaps closing up low on the car. Couldn't see the whole extent until the carpet was out and the tar removed from inside and then it was pretty bad. Looks like it sat on dirt and rusted from the bottom up.

That said, I think it is worth fixing, the parts are available, and the people on this forum are very helpful. The west coasters will scoff at you for buying a car with a single little pinhole of rust, while the east coasters will be jealous that the front half and back half are still attached to each other.
Mueller
I wouldn't commit until you could do a better inspection, for all we know the car could fold in half as you are pulling it out of the yard...you broke it, you bought it!

Dave_Darling
Sounds like it's worth buying--but it may not be worth saving. Hard to tell until you can get under it and get a proper look under the rocker covers and at the hell hole.

If you're flexible and don't mind the idea of parting it out if it turns out to be too far gone, it will be hard to lose on a $400 914.

--DD
patrick3000
Buy it! If it turns out to be junk part out a couple of good items to recover your $$$ and sell it as a parts car or scrap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.