Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wot What is german and has an air cooled six?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
Finally got this project flying. Started it 24 yrs ago. It uses a post WWII deHaviland gipsy queen 30 converted to run upside down. It has crank fire ignition and throttle bodies. This air cooled engine is the closest power plant to the approximate the size, power, torque, and weight to the original mercedes or BMW engines of the real plane. This replica is constructed to the way the original plane was built. Using 4130 chrome moly steel vs original mild steel, using the same cantilever wooden wing structure, poly covering vs linen, disc brakes and steerable tail wheel.

The plane is modeled after a WWI german ace named Williem Hippert. Instead of his girl friend's name on the top wing (Mimi) I used My girlfriend's(Wife) name Julie. The guy actually fought in this gaudy paint scheme over the western front in 1918!

I have got to take some pictures of my 1971 3.2 914 painted in Adriatic blue with the blue/light tan pusha interior. Video sort of sucks. Like one of those Sasquatch videos of the '60's

https://youtu.be/w2aTO9gikzU

Now I can start helping the lady in Huntington.

Buck
Ferg
aktion035.gif

Holy Cow! Mucho congrats!
BeatNavy
Seriously. Sasquatch video or not, that's an awesome project. Congratulations! first.gif
JmuRiz
VERY cool,
comment on the Sasquatch quality camera work is too funny....and spot on biggrin.gif
altitude411
24 years in the making? Fantastic determination. beerchug.gif

* there's hope for my six*
Dion
That was very cool. I love reading about the WWI era fighting aircraft.
Thanks for sharing. Awesome endeavor. Congrats.
76-914
Congratulations. EAA member? You got balls doing that first flight w/o a chase plane. evilgrin.gif Nothing like the first flight in an unproven airframe powered by an unproven power plant ,huh? happy11.gif
GaroldShaffer
smilie_pokal.gif

Very cool!!!!
Mikey914
I spent some time with John Pike at Big Sky Stearmans back in the day. He was always doing way crazy stuff like that. The coolest was his ghost ship project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnJAx1iE_W8

Pratt Whitney R 1340 - 600 hp with a 108" prop is I remember correctly. Lots of power.

Yes I have a thing for aircooled aircraft also!
Mueller
I thought video was good!

Congrats!

Former A&P here, no desire to build or fly an aircraft. Took the controls over a few times flying with buddies but never got into it.

Dave_Darling
Awesome! Congrats on the flight, that's always a heckuva milestone.

Trivia: Those were the only weapon specifically mentioned in the Treaty of Versailles which ended the war. The Allies were terrified of them, they were that much better than anything else flying at the time.

--DD
krazykonrad
Way cool! That made my afternoon.

Konrad
Bartlett 914
Awesome!
11tenths
Herr Hipper-

Are you running Fuchs on that Fokker? rolleyes.gif

Sehr gut!

Prosit- Harry
Cracker
Congrats Buck! Fantastic determination...enjoy!

Tony
Larmo63
That makes my dumb 914 project look like Romper Room.

Very inspirational! Thank you for sharing!!!!

beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
Wow! I like that!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.