Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for expert opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Localboy808
So, bought this 72' 914. Built 10/71 It was an Arizona car originally from what I've found. Bought it from a dealer in Orange County. It has a salvaged title. Looks like it was hit in the back at one time and the rear panel replaced. Looks like it was very minor though and there is no wrinkles on the rear wheel wells. Very little rust. The hell hole is great. One jack point has some rust but not bad from what I can tell. Has a small hole under the battery on the wheel well. Looks like it still has the original engine and trans. 87,000 miles. I see some red RatV sealant on some of the bigger case nuts. Heads and cylinders look cleaner that the rest of the motor which makes me think some work has been done in the recent past. Was repainted once. Original color was Adriatic blue. Came with 5 steel rims. One being skinnier than the others. Guessing that's the spare and they are original? Has the chrome trim near the sail panels. And has a front air dam. Question is. Would this have had the black vinyl on the sail panels? Could the air dam be original? What do you experts think?
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Yes on vinyl. No on air dam. Looks like a yellow 914 to me.
Localboy808
Click to view attachment Another shot.
Localboy808
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 6 2016, 11:00 PM) *

Yes on vinyl. No on air dam. Looks like a yellow 914 to me.

So they all had the vinyl? Or some came plain and those would not have the sail trim? Yes. It is yellow... stirthepot.gif
Mike Bellis
Not all but based on your lower trim, it had vinyl.
Localboy808
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 6 2016, 11:06 PM) *

Not all but based on your lower trim, it had vinyl.

Ahh. Ok. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. Going to go back to the original color and want to redo that vinyl if it was originally there.
Mike Bellis
I like the bus
Localboy808
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 6 2016, 11:15 PM) *

I like the bus

Yeah? It's my buddy's bus. I'm a long time VW guy. Always wanted a 914. Here's my bus. Click to view attachment aktion035.gif
SKL1
With chrome bumpers (if original) it had the appearance group therefore vinyl on the sail panel.
No appearance group- no vinyl, but then no trim either (and no holes inviting rust to join the party).
Localboy808
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Oct 6 2016, 11:22 PM) *

With chrome bumpers (if original) it had the appearance group therefore vinyl on the sail panel.
No appearance group- no vinyl, but then no trim either (and no holes inviting rust to join the party).

Wait, so not all early 914s had chrome bumpers? Were they painted? Never knew that. I'm learning here! Thanks!
Cuda911
Correct. Some bumpers were chrome, some were painted black. The wheels you have are Rivieras. You should be able to find a fourth one easily. Personally, I love them. For reasons I have never understood, some don't like them at all.

How's the interior of the car?

Do you mind sharing what you paid?

Based solely on the limited pix, looks like a nice car. Personally, I would replace the sail panel vinyl.

Does it still have FI, or was it converted to carbs?

Excellent bus!
zig-n-zag
You may have the high compression pistons in that 72 engine. The gold "914" emblem is missing on the back panel. I like those later dish version Rivieras more than the fat lips. 14 inch 5-bolt Fuchs would look awesome on the double cab.
Localboy808
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Oct 7 2016, 12:45 AM) *

Correct. Some bumpers were chrome, some were painted black. The wheels you have are Rivieras. You should be able to find a fourth one easily. Personally, I love them. For reasons I have never understood, some don't like them at all.

How's the interior of the car?

Do you mind sharing what you paid?

Based solely on the limited pix, looks like a nice car. Personally, I would replace the sail panel vinyl.

Does it still have FI, or was it converted to carbs?

Excellent bus!

I like the Rivieras too. I got them for free from a friend. Long story. But I paid 4000.00. I probably over paid. But the body is really solid and minimal rust. It had a new master cylinder. Steel braided brake lines. New rotors bearings and pads up front. (Part of the long story) seats are nice. Door panels are nice but missing the arm rests. No rear pad. Cheap carpeting. Visors are missing. It had a single carb setup. Now has a set of dual 32 ICTs I got from a member here. Ripped out the old carpet. Have a new carpet kit waiting to go in. It is what it is. I love the car. Like I said. I think I over paid for it. But the profit I made from another car I sold paid for it. So it's like a free car to me. cheer.gif
Localboy808
QUOTE(zig-n-zag @ Oct 7 2016, 06:00 AM) *

You may have the high compression pistons in that 72 engine. The gold "914" emblem is missing on the back panel. I like those later dish version Rivieras more than the fat lips. 14 inch 5-bolt Fuchs would look awesome on the double cab.

Interesting about the Pistons. Yes I need to find that gold emblem. Not sure if it's supposed to just say 914. Or 914 1.7? Yes on the Fuchs. But its stock height. Maybe someday if it gets lowered. I go back and forth on wanting it stock and lowered. Don't really want to bag it. Plus I actually use it as a truck! aktion035.gif
rhodyguy
Bags? You don't need them. adj rear perches, lower front with adjustment screws on rear of control arms (may require a bump steer kit to maintain tie rod geometry), corner balance and 4 wheel alignment.
Localboy808
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 7 2016, 08:44 AM) *

Bags? You don't need them. adj rear perches, lower front with adjustment screws on rear of control arms (may require a bump steer kit to maintain tie rod geometry), corner balance and 4 wheel alignment.

I was talking about the bus. lol-2.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Oct 6 2016, 10:45 PM) *

Correct. Some bumpers were chrome, some were painted black.

Bumpers: Up through 72 or 73, they would either be chrome or body-colored. In 74 (and possibly 73) they would either be chrome or black. In 75 and 76, they would have all been big black rubber bumpers.

The odd-sized steel wheel was most likely a replacement. The others might have been original or might not. The Rivs on there now look nice.

All in all, it sounds like a reasonable driver-level car. Fix up the rust or at least keep it from spreading, and get out there and flog it!! smile.gif

--DD
SKL1
Back in the day, the Rivieras were the easiest way to get a 5 spoke wheel with the 4 lug bolt hub. Kind of a "fake" Fuch look.
Cuda911
$4k sounds like a very reasonable price for the car. I don't think you overpaid at all.
Localboy808
Rust is one of my first objectives. Luckily it's minor. The hell hole is solid and the rust at one jack point seems to be the worst of it. Pans are solid. Only bondo I can find that's significant is a small dent that was repaired on the rear passenger quarter. The car even came with jack point repair metal for both sides.
Localboy808
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Oct 7 2016, 05:00 PM) *

$4k sounds like a very reasonable price for the car. I don't think you overpaid at all.

I guess I'm basing that on a couple of deals I had to pass on after I bought it. There was an equally nice 73 that came up on Craig's list out of Taft that the guy was asking 1800.00 obo. Running well! At least he said it ran well. Although he said it did have some rust near the seat rails. Didn't have the funds to make another purchase so I passed. Maybe that was just exceptionally cheap. wink.gif
steuspeed
Get the sail panel kit and rear bumper top at 914rubber.
Localboy808
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Oct 7 2016, 09:28 PM) *

Get the sail panel kit and rear bumper top at 914rubber.

I actually got an original rear bumper top. Just not in the pictures. But yeah I want to do the sail panel kit but will wait till I paint it. shades.gif
Localboy808
Looking at pictures of cars with the tops off. I notice I am missing a trim piece. Anyone have a set of these? Not exactly sure how they attach. Have to take a closer look at my car. No screw holes on top. Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.