Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deep grooves in cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
What are my options when a cylinder(s) looks like this?
Complete newbie to engines here so I have to ask, what caused this?

The engine seemed to run fine but those grooves can't be good!

TIA
Steve

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Probably not of much help to you here but back in my dirtbike racing days, we simply added oil to the fuel for a couple of tanks which quickly filled the grooves with carbon buildup and made them seal again.
Then take the cylinder head off and take some sandpaper to clean up the top of the piston and you're done!

Not sure how well that would work on a 914 engine but it saved me a lot of money during those days ...
biggrin.gif
Valy
Those engines can take a lot of abuse, so it will run fine but burn some oil and lose some power due to compression.
That's probably due to broken rings.
You need a new cylinder and new rings.
Given the effort and price, I highly recommend switching to 96mm cylinders and pistons.
Valy
One more thing: check that you're oil filter works and is not bypassed.
injunmort
it will run that way, but how long or how well, is another guess. looking at them, a hone does not look it will be much help. next step is an overbore and new oversize pistons and rings or replace with a big bore kit.
Mark Henry
If you're on a low budget and your pistons are good new AA 94mm cylinders are $130, rings are $40 to $70.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/AA-94mm-Cylin...p/vw9400t4l.htm

If you can afford it go to the 96mm KB pistons and cylinders, with rings about $430.
You have to put together your own "kit" on the EMW site.
http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/vw/type-...-cylinders.html

BTW there is two different pistons for 1.7/1.8 with the 66mm stroke and the 2.0 71mm stroke, make sure you get the correct ones.
toolguy

Looking closer, besides the deep scores, it looks like a lot of rust pitting down about an inch. . like the motor sat for a while with water in the cylinder. That would probably tear up a set of rings.
I'd bet the compression would be too low to even run somewhat acceptable and the smoke will be more than noticeable. Do you really want to build an engine twice?
74ravenna
Lots of great replies!

I did forget to mention that its a 1.8 and yes it sat for 33 years.
I've got some research to do and i'll go from there.

Thanks for all of the advice and links.

Steve

bdstone914
Or get a set of used ones, hone them and install new rings.
whitetwinturbo
...........or drop in a LS Cheby and go to the dark side stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif
catsltd
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Oct 7 2016, 07:16 PM) *

Lots of great replies!

Steve

I have the same motor,same problem.

Mark Henry advice makes the most sense to me.

I am going with this setup.https://aapistons.com/collections/porsche-piston-cylinder-kits/products/96mm-porsche-914-vw-type-4-bus-piston-and-biral-cylinder-set.

Maybe the KB pistons would work better with regular jugs I dont know.???

Anyway good luck with your project.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(catsltd @ Oct 8 2016, 06:18 AM) *

Lots of great replies!

Steve

I am going with this setup.https://aapistons.com/collections/porsche-piston-cylinder-kits/products/96mm-porsche-914-vw-type-4-bus-piston-and-biral-cylinder-set.

Remember, you can get your Original cylinders bored to match the new 96mm pistons...they're likely to be more stable than new castings.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(catsltd @ Oct 8 2016, 10:18 AM) *

Lots of great replies!

Steve

The KB pistons and bored cylinders are a proven combo.
The only drawback with KB pistons is when cold for the first 2-4 minutes they slap, almost sounds like the engine is knocking, till they get some heat into them and expand to the proper size.
To me the biral cylinder doesn't help much, if you are at the HP output to need extra cooling or using a 103 register then you need nickies. 96mm iron cylinders work fine up to 2270cc, even 2316cc and 150+ HP.
74ravenna
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 8 2016, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(catsltd @ Oct 8 2016, 10:18 AM) *

Lots of great replies!

Steve

The KB pistons and bored cylinders are a proven combo.
The only drawback with KB pistons is when cold for the first 2-4 minutes they slap, almost sounds like the engine is knocking, till they get some heat into them and expand to the proper size.
To me the biral cylinder doesn't help much, if you are at the HP output to need extra cooling or using a 103 register then you need nickies. 96mm iron cylinders work fine up to 2270cc, even 2316cc and 150+ HP.

"The KB pistons and bored cylinders are a proven combo."

So i take that to mean that you are suggesting using the original cylinders (as others here have suggested, wndsfr & injunmort)?

Thanks all
McMark
Those cylinders may be too scored to even bore out. sad.gif

Biral is a waste of money, IMHO.

AA cylinders have worked on a lot of engines for a lot of people.
stugray
I think I have a complete set of pistons and jugs at home but have to check 1.7 or 1.8 can't remember.
74ravenna
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 8 2016, 12:50 PM) *

Those cylinders may be too scored to even bore out. sad.gif

Biral is a waste of money, IMHO.

AA cylinders have worked on a lot of engines for a lot of people.

As it turns out this is the only cylinder thats scored.
I just finished removing the rest of the cylinders and pistons and they look fine. (to my untrained eye)

The piston that was in that scored cylinder is all chewed up at the top edge (where the top of the cylinder and side meet.
Lots of little nibbles.

wndsrfr

So i take that to mean that you are suggesting using the original cylinders (as others here have suggested, wndsfr & injunmort)?

Thanks all

Yep--get your pistons & have the shop bore the cylinders to match them. Nothing wrong with KB's for street car but if you're planning on beating on it hard at track days then go with JE forged pistons.
catsltd
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Oct 8 2016, 09:10 PM) *

Thanks all

Yep--get your pistons & have the shop bore the cylinders to match them. Nothing wrong with KB's for street car but if you're planning on beating on it hard at track days then go with JE forged pistons.

My concern would be the honing.
What if they Dont do a good job.
How would you even know.???

I got taken by a shop for a few grand this year,and all I got for my troubles was a low oil engine light while driving home,and a pool of oil under my car.
Not again.

For me,I will go with the AA piston and cylinder kit,and with the help from this forum I will install myself.

Good Luck to the OP in his decision,and sorry if I hijacked a bit.
But really needed some help with my decision also.
Cheers Grant.
74ravenna
QUOTE(catsltd @ Oct 9 2016, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Oct 8 2016, 09:10 PM) *

Thanks all

My concern would be the honing.
What if they Dont do a good job.
How would you even know.???

I got taken by a shop for a few grand this year,and all I got for my troubles was a low oil engine light while driving home,and a pool of oil under my car.
Not again.

For me,I will go with the AA piston and cylinder kit,and with the help from this forum I will install myself.

Good Luck to the OP in his decision,and sorry if I hijacked a bit.
But really needed some help with my decision also.
Cheers Grant.

Not highjacked at all. I appreciate you joining in as it helps me out. I'm curious as to how you make out. Please keep us posted.

One thing about our situation is all of the options.

There seems to be no limit of combinations and I've read a fair amount about how big you can go and much horse power you can add but does anyone know how much performance is added by going to 96mm on the pistons and cylinders and leaving everything else stock?

Also, does that mean any changes need to be made to the FI?

Thanks
Steve

TheCabinetmaker
Catsltd, was the machinist also the engine builder? I can't see how improperly honed cylinders would cause oil leaks. I've had dozens of cylinders either honed or bored by machinist. Only two cylinders were ever rejected and they were rejected by the machinist. Unless you have lots of experience honing cylinders by hand, I don't recommend it as a diy project
catsltd
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 9 2016, 11:44 AM) *

Catsltd, was the machinist also the engine builder? I can't see how improperly honed cylinders would cause oil leaks. I've had dozens of cylinders either honed or bored by machinist. Only two cylinders were ever rejected and they were rejected by the machinist. Unless you have lots of experience honing cylinders by hand, I don't recommend it as a diy project

The work the shop did for me was to fix oil leaks,adjust timing etc.
$1500:00 dollars later,timing was so far off it was running hot all the time,and on the way home my car ran out of oil.

I am scared to death about going to a shop that I know nothing about and letting them mess up my cylinders.

I have 95 PSI on hot motor for compression,with a few drops of oil it goes to 150 pSI.

The motor sat for 15 years,so I am sure I need at least rings,but I am Not going to get cylinders honed,dont need the worry.

I read going to 96MM is fine with Ljet,also the 1.8 heads have big enuff valves etc,for the 96MM pistons,no machine work needed.

TheCabinetmaker
Oh boy. Here we are again.
catsltd
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 9 2016, 02:02 PM) *

Oh boy. Here we are again.

Not sure what you mean by that statement,but I take no offence.

Maybe someday I will know it all and I will be a ass just like you,when a new 914 owner tries to get a straight answer.But I doubt it.

With the exchange rate and shipping costs the parts are at least 40% more up here in Canada,so making sure you get it right the first time is pretty important.

I have to do my top end cause thats all I can afford,Not sure how asking questions in this forum trying to get to the right answer is such a bad thing.

If not for the help from this forum,I would have had to sell my car,cause I just cant afford to throw away money at a shop for them to try and fix it.

Any way if I have offended anyone Besides you I am sorry.
Cheers.

r_towle
Steve,
That cylinder is not worth saving.
Either buy used, or even better is buy four new ones.
I most likely have one here is you are low on funds. It is free.
injunmort
i dont know about canada, but here in ny, cylinder boring is $50.00 per cylinder, i figure another $50.00 per piston/ring set. about the same as a big bore kit. if you take the engine to someone and have it machined, and assembled or install a big bore kit, about the same money. the only way most of ownership of these cars makes monetary sense is if you can do most of the work yourself. a complete engine overhaul done outside would be $5-7,000.00 depending on parts and machining, exceeding the value of most of these cars.
Mark Henry
Porsche 914 and type 4 motors are not cheap anymore, never was as cheap as a type 1. If you don't have the coin you might want to re-evaluate your project.
If you were asking me to do work on your engine I'd already be telling you that you can't afford me. shades.gif

If you're not going to do the complete engine, new 96mm P&C's likely will end up being a waste.
New AA cylinders and rings and a set of good used pistons would hopefully at least get you back on the road.

What size engine is it? 1.7/1.8 I might have a set of useable pistons. Free plus shipping.
74ravenna
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 9 2016, 03:24 PM) *

Steve,
That cylinder is not worth saving.
Either buy used, or even better is buy four new ones.
I most likely have one here is you are low on funds. It is free.

r_towle

Thanks for your kind offer. I think i"ll opt for 4 new ones, might buy used.

Steve
74ravenna
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 9 2016, 04:08 PM) *

Porsche 914 and type 4 motors are not cheap anymore, never was as cheap as a type 1. If you don't have the coin you might want to re-evaluate your project.
If you were asking me to do work on your engine I'd already be telling you that you can't afford me. shades.gif

If you're not going to do the complete engine, new 96mm P&C's likely will end up being a waste.
New AA cylinders and rings and a set of good used pistons would hopefully at least get you back on the road.

What size engine is it? 1.7/1.8 I might have a set of useable pistons. Free plus shipping.

"If you're not going to do the complete engine, new 96mm P&C's likely will end up being a waste. "

Good to know!

Its a 1.8.

Thanks.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.