Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo bounce
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I've had 3 different speedo's in my car and they all bounce (3-5mph) the needle between 20 and 70mph. I am going to redo the tranny next week and was wondering if it might be the cable or the speedo drive causing the bouncy needle thingy. Either way I'd like to fix it when I have the car up on stands.
lapuwali
Very likely a bad cable.
Aaron Cox
mine got better with a new speedo cable and angle drive....
skline
Sounds like a kink in the cable. Once it is there, it will always be there. Change the cable and it should resolve.
ThinAir
Mine had this problem when the angle-drive was leaking tranny fluid into the cable. I'd replace the cable and/or get the speedo serviced and it would be back again very soon. The direction of rotation on the cable just wicks the fluid right up into the speedo and gunks up the whole thing. I solved the problem by going to an electronic speedo and then disassembling the whole car to restore it. If it ever gets put back together I'll deal with the angle-drive then.
Joe Bob
Pull the cable at the angle drive....put a drill motor on the cable end...and spin it up...if it still jumps...cable. If it works fine it's most likely the angle drive.
Root_Werks
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 19 2005, 07:08 AM)
Pull the cable at the angle drive....put a drill motor on the cable end...and spin it up...if it still jumps...cable. If it works fine it's most likely the angle drive.

agree.gif What he said.
airsix
Where I grew up (just outside Yellowstone) we all had bouncing speedos because of the cold winters. If you use reverse when it's -30F outside the 'wire rope' (speedo cable) turns against the twist and unwinds and from that point on is always springy hence the speedo bounce.

-Ben M.
Rouser
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Apr 18 2005, 10:19 PM)
Very likely a bad cable.

Yep, what he said.

Nothing wrong with the speedos; your cable has a kink in it.
meares
Z.....keep the avatars!!!! they're cool!
Rgreen914
Once had that problem on an American car; took the cable out, cleaned and greased it. Put it back in and no more problems.

Ron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.