Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dare I ask the question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeemerSteve
Can you use a 1976 Type 2 (Bus) 2.0 engine in a 914? There is said it!!
I can get a nearly free one that ran well before it was pulled. I know the power will not be the same as a 914 2.0 but I can get another car running and driving while I look for a better power unit.
Rand
If you don't know whether you can or not, then maybe the answer is no.

Of course you *could*

If you have to ask, then no.

injunmort
i believe you can, but some things like dipstick are different. there are more on this board better versed than i, but for nearly free, it can be done.
bdstone914
I think the main issue is the oil filler tube on the bus comes off the bsck of the block at the bottom.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 7 2016, 05:47 PM) *

If you don't know whether you can or not, then maybe the answer is no.

Of course you *could*

If you have to ask, then no.

unsure.gif biggrin.gif
BeemerSteve
I will get to look at it tomorrow and compare my 2.0 to it from my 73. It's been years of being away from air-cooled so I will have to familiarize myself again with them.
Mueller
My '73 has a bus 2.0 in it, the previous owner drove it that way for a few years.

Currently down to a possible dropped valve seat, not the motors fault, it happens.
eyesright
QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Oct 7 2016, 04:46 PM) *

Can you use a 1976 Type 2 (Bus) 2.0 engine in a 914? There is said it!!
I can get a nearly free one that ran well before it was pulled. I know the power will not be the same as a 914 2.0 but I can get another car running and driving while I look for a better power unit.

My '72 has a re-man engine that was built on a bus Type 4.
Beach914
I had a 74 that had a bus motor in it. Nobody knew I was driving around full throttle flat out everywhere I went. I liked it.
garrettlee2
I tried it years ago and the problem I had was the oil filler and dipstick on a bus are in the same place as the 914 engine bar. So you could make a kustom engine bar or make a block off plate for the oil filler and use a 914 one instead. The problem is the dip stick my friend has drilled the case for the 914 dip stick but he does it while the engine is apart. Maybe you could drill it with the motor upside down but you can't be sure no metal made it in the engine.
BeemerSteve
Well, the engine that could've been turned out to be a 1.7 but I think he needed it gone suggested he'd take almost nothing. I passed...didn't want to reconfigure the dip stick tube.
My search continues. Thanks for all your replies!
Bleyseng
I do have a spare 2.0L engine if you are looking for one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.