Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ncchany
Hey i was wondering if a 1975 914s bumpers would fit on a 1974??

Please help
Krieger
Not a bolt on deal. It would take a bit of work. Each fender has a long tab welded to it that the end of the bumper hooks around.
napasteve
That would be a silly thing.
Ncchany
QUOTE(napasteve @ Oct 7 2016, 11:20 PM) *

That would be a silly thing.

I guess this means no
ndfrigi
it can be done but I think it is easier backdating from 75/76 rubber to earlier bumper. And majority likes earlier bumper than the rubber. My 75 still has the rubber. I'm just waiting to make my rubber to break since it is almost in perfect shape before installing my hidden chrome bumpers.

front rubber:

Click to view attachment

front chrome:

Click to view attachment
Coondog
WTF.gif barf.gif WTF.gif barf.gif WTF.gif barf.gif

One has to ask.........WHY
TheCabinetmaker
wacko.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif
EdwardBlume
blink.gif
Bartlett 914
As you can tell most here don't like the late bumpers. They are heavy and considered by many to be not so attractive. I had a 75 with them and I did like them. I currently drive a 76 with chrome back dated bumpers. Back dating is pretty easy. The late bumpers mount differently. There are shock absorber mounts (heavy on their own) and they are attached to the body in ways not easily repeated on an early car. I am sure you could do this but the work would be hard to justify
Steve
To each his own, but most people back date them including me.
gcrotvik
Euro 75 and 76 cars had the BUB bumpers but had no bumper shocks. They had an inner structure similar to the US version but it mounted with dog bones and bolts the same as the 70 through 74 cars, euro and US. Look on eBay.de and see if you can find a set. You will have to add the tabs to the fender edges that the BUBs attach to.

You may be able to modify your US inner structures (removing the bumper shocks) to use dog bones and bolts also.
Rand
Since you're thinking this way, I also have a sweet smog pump for sale. And a kludgy late exhaust system. /sarcasm biggrin.gif
gms
Looks like they added brackets on the euro rear bumper, that would be pretty simple.
If you wanted the OEM shock that would be a considerable amount of work
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Yes, they can be updated. It would take some work to do so.

- You could cut the appropriate holes and attach the late-style bumper shocks to mount the late-style bumpers.
- You could locate the European-spec bumper frames for the 75-76 914s.
- You could fabricate a bumper frame that bolts onto the earlier body and carries the rubber cover.

Depending on the frame used, you might be able to get away with not adding the lip that retains the edges of the cover.

Most of us seem to prefer the early bumper looks, but I know that there are a number of people who like the late-style ones better. The front bumper, in particular, carries on the line of the front deck lid and makes for a bit more integrated appearance.

There are also fiberglass versions of the late bumpers made. It might be easier to mount those than the actual late-style rubber covers.

--DD
Toast
QUOTE(Ncchany @ Oct 7 2016, 10:06 PM) *

Hey i was wondering if a 1975 914s bumpers would fit on a 1974??

Please help

First off... welcome.png

Secondly, if you only have access to a 75 bumper then that would make sense why you are asking. I may have a bunch of 914 bumpers up in the rafters. So let me know if you are looking for something different.

On another note I thought only the early model fenders 73 and earlier had the little hooks on the side. confused24.gif
914werke
If you are committed to this direction, HERE might get you half way there smile.gif
Millerwelds
Maybe I am jumping the gun but..... same troll, yet another name. The very rare curious question designed to draw reaction... and the need to immediately respond to objection. I hope I am wrong but I fear I am right. To each their own. beerchug.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Oct 14 2016, 06:07 PM) *

Maybe I am jumping the gun but..... same troll, yet another name. The very rare curious question designed to draw reaction... and the need to immediately respond to objection. I hope I am wrong but I fear I am right. To each their own. beerchug.gif

I'm assuming he has crappy or no bumpers and found a set of 75-76 for free or close to it. poke.gif

Without the top and 2 side lips the rubber won't sit flush. Plus you would have to make the inner structure to bolt to the original holes as getting the shocks bolted on would be stupid involved.

Short answer... too much trouble and not worth it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.