Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Breaker Points replacement: Pertronix?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
I am looking to replace the distributor breaker points on my 914/6 conversion powered by a '77 2.7 with 40IDC3A Webers, Bursch headers and megaphones with removable baffles. It's currently using a Permatune CD box and points.

I understand that by replacing the points with a Pertronix Ignitor, everthing is retained.

Is this a good upgrade.

What other options should be considered? MSD 6AL? Crane XR700? Electromotive?

Thanks

Eddie
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Eddie914 @ Apr 18 2005, 09:17 PM)
I am looking to replace the distributor breaker points on my 914/6 conversion... It's currently using a Permatune CD box and points.

What other options should be considered? MSD 6AL? Crane XR700? Electromotive?

i like the Crane optical points replacement trigger and HI-6 spark box.

i've had too many MSD-6AL failures to consider them reliable, but lots of people like them so YMMV. the PermaDoom will strand you sooner if not later. lots of people like them too - right up until the part it fails and they're left by the side of the road wondering how they'll get home.

it's your car, do what you want. i have expressed my opinion, since you asked. other people will have other opinions. i won't try to convert them i won't try to convert you. i don't have any stock in any ignition company. but i *do* have an ignition system that i can trust now...
Pugbug
I put Pertronix in my dune bug about 5 years ago. They work great, and the timing has never changed since.
Ive also installed them in the new engine for the 914.....but it's not going to be on the road for two or three weeks, so no report.
bd1308
i'm going the pertronix route btu i have 3 point sets for spares
914werke
Ed I put the Ignitor' on my yellow /4 MANY yrs ago, Still going stong. smile.gif
bd1308
actually i'm doing points for awhile still...still owe a few people $$$ on this board......
Mueller
Electromotive does not belong in that listing of parts smile.gif

Crankfire, you throw away the distributor and get a laptop programmable (newer Electromotive) ignition with wasted spark (fires for combustion and the op. cylinder on the exhaust stroke)...the price is almost $1,000 for the Electromotive setup as well.....
ChrisFix
I just installed Pertronix in my car about 2 weeks ago and it seems to work great. By all reports you must be careful not to leave the ignition switch turned to 'on' without the motor running or you can burn the unit out very quickly (and make sure you hook it up to the coil correctly observing + / -). The Pertronix is nice in that it is a simple install with an OEM look if that matters to you at all. If you go this route I do recommend just pulling the distributor out to install it. The wire grommet they provide makes a terrific seal, but there is probably no way to install it correctly with the dist. in the car (just remember where the rotor was pointing when you pull it out). Also, the magnet ring that slips over the cam just below the rotor needs to be pushed all the way down or the rotor won't be able to seat fully and will interfere with the dist cap. It will initiallly seat and feel like it is home, then you need to really push it down and it will go another 1/4" to where it needs to be. I bought model 1847V from Pelican and it fit perfectly. Others have posted about interference between the Pertronix unit and the side of the rotor base, but no such issues for me. Car starts easily and runs smoothly. Only time will tell if it lasts or not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.