Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Window reseal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael J
My rear window is loose and rattles on rough roads. Haynes says "go see the experts" and Pelican has it on it's "we'll get to this article sometime before you die" list. Any quick how to do a re-seal thoughts.

thanks
bd1308
hehehe....i've been saving to do this till summer....you gotta cut the window out, get some butyl tape and re-apply....heard its kinda-easy sometimes not really to break the window though, so be careful.....
bd1308
forgot the clean step...clean clean clean
Michael J
OK, so the first word that got me nervous was "cut", the next was don't "break the window" and the last was "be careful". So now I'm wondering why I wouldn't just go to the glass shop? My window has the optional rear defogger (which works) and I don't want to trash that. idea.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Sorry. No quick how to's. Pull the window, clean window and frame like Britt said (he's been reading and paying attention), and reseal with butly tape or urethane ( my preference).
bd1308
hey 1000+ posts in two months...i have to be learning SOMETHING wink.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Oh yeah, you won't have to "cut" the glass out. It's already loose wink.gif
Mueller
it's not that big of a deal to remove it...remove seats, backpad, pads on the inside of the targa top...if the window is already loose, that is a good starting point.....

get a metal putty knife with a flexible blade, use that on the outside of the window to break the bond of the material still holding the window to the car....

as for installing it, I have yet to do mine, but I figure it cannot be that hard, just clean everything, apply new adhesive and stick it up against the car...2 would be helpful since the butyl tape will want to stick to anything it touches like right now....

TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 18 2005, 09:38 PM)
hey 1000+ posts in two months...i have to be learning SOMETHING wink.gif

If you ain't learning something in that fancy school, Miles will be cuttin off your tuition. laugh.gif
bd1308
if miles is paying my tuition, i'm screwed..... unsure.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 18 2005, 09:48 PM)
if miles is paying my tuition, i'm screwed..... unsure.gif

lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif chairfall.gif
bd1308
Miles College.....with this guy as the dean.....
McMark
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 18 2005, 06:40 PM)
it's not that big of a deal to remove it...remove seats, backpad, pads on the inside of the targa top...if the window is already loose, that is a good starting point.....

get a metal putty knife with a flexible blade, use that on the outside of the window to break the bond of the material still holding the window to the car....

as for installing it, I have yet to do mine, but I figure it cannot be that hard, just clean everything, apply new adhesive and stick it up against the car...2 would be helpful since the butyl tape will want to stick to anything it touches like right now....

agree.gif

Especially about how sticky the Butyl tape it. One chance, that's all you get. It's easy and straight forward. Buy a roll of Butyl tape and start working. It'll all make sense once you're in there.
Eric_Shea
Hey Mike,

There's a thread on this:

Click Here
SpecialK
agree.gif

Best thoroughly illustrated "how-to" I've seen on the subject beer.gif..........and an excellent brake caliper how-to as well somewhere in the "classics" section of the forum.......you'll be wanting to do those to "while you've got it that far apart..." happy11.gif .
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Special_K @ Apr 19 2005, 04:58 AM)
happy11.gif .

Sorry to take this off topic, but this is the first time I saw your KC avatar Kevin. I haven't seen that pic in many years. The Court of the Krimson King was one of my favorite albums in a past life I had.
I used the screaming guy on the front cover in an animated album cover sequence in a movie I made back in high school in the '70s. What memories. smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.