Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV/Axle assembly totally stuck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JoeDees
These things are totally stuck in the hub. I've checked and rechecked that I have all of the bolts, and I do, but I can't get these out of the hubs/trailing arm assembly. I've soaked hem in PB blaster, but I can't figure out a way to leverage them out. Am I missing something? Any ideas?
JoeDees
Still stuck, but I found answers here after Google searches:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1562661
Mark Henry
Get the stub itself out? I use an air hammer, punches them out in seconds. You can use a big brass drift and a BFH. smash.gif
mb911
Ditto air hammer method is easiest.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Oct 9 2016, 10:15 AM) *

These things are totally stuck in the hub. I've checked and rechecked that I have all of the bolts, and I do, but I can't get these out of the hubs/trailing arm assembly. I've soaked hem in PB blaster, but I can't figure out a way to leverage them out. Am I missing something? Any ideas?

Use 'em like a slide hammer, bam, bam, bam...violence helps sometimes.
rhodyguy
Prob rusted on the location pins. Using the axle like a dent puller can leave a pin behind. Then you're really screwed. I spent hours using threaded rod to draw the cv back on. Hours. At this point in my life, I would soak the castellated axle nut, use a 1/2" electric impact from autozone on it, get what you need to out of the way and just pull the whole thing out.
iankarr
I made a video of removing mine, though yours sound way more stuck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7a5ACf2xK6Y

hitting it with penetrating oil for a while helps if the splines are sticking. You may also need to break out the torch.
rhodyguy
Well done sir! No chance of getting hurt or damaging the merchandise using that method.
einic
I used a copper clamp around the axle, and a crow bar against this and the housing. Then I could force the axle off without hammering.
Elliot Cannon
I use anti-seize on the splines when installing. The last time I removed an axle, it slid right out.
stinkindiesel
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Oct 9 2016, 05:52 PM) *

I made a video of removing mine, though yours sound way more stuck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7a5ACf2xK6Y

hitting it with penetrating oil for a while helps if the splines are sticking. You may also need to break out the torch.

That's how I finally got mine as well. Started out with a dead blow hammer, then a framing hammer with a block of wood, then the framing hammer without the wood, then the 3 lbs sledge with a block of wood, and finally just hauled off and whacked the snot out of it directly with the sledge. I was afraid I was going to knock the car off the jack stands before the axle came loose.

Gary
JoeDees
I figured that everything in there will be replaced before it drives again, but didn't want the stub axle or bearings out because I need the thing rollable...

I had a buddy stand on the trailing arm assembly with the axle hanging off a curb and did the trick of hitting the axle sidewards (equivalent to down if mounted on car) with a rubber mallet, turned axel 90 degrees, <whack>, turn, <whack>, etc until it came off.

It looks to me like in the decade the car sat in Texas and what not, the grease and seal melted and solidified into a super-mega glue.

Like stated above, the problem now lies in the location pin stuck in there. But I'll worry about that when the stub axle gets removed when I get to my permanent garage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.