Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kenwood Stereo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
I have a Kenwood stereo that cuts in and out. The display flickers and so does the sound. It is intermittent and wiggling the wires has no effect. It does it on FM and Cd. It is on for a half second and off for a half second. Is my tuner toast? It seems to act up about once a week. wacko.gif
skline
How old is the unit? If it is not very old, it may be under warranty. Sounds to me like it has a short inside. I used to be a Kenwood dealer. If I remember, they had a 1 year warranty on them. Take it back to where you got it and they will tell you how to go about getting it repaired.
smooth_eddy
The stereo was in my car when I bought it a year ago. I don't know the age but it is out of the warranty period. The heads are out of alignment as the cd player skips. Maybe it is just time to get a new one?
CptTripps
Go to BestBuy with $100. You'll be amazed what they have "open box" for the $75 mark.
rezron
I went to Best Buy and bought a new Kenwood for around $100.
Last years model- unopened box. All black in color with 2 tuner knobs.
It looks very good in a 914 dash.

rezron
jr91472
fyi, I had a similiar problem and finally traced it back to a bad round relay on the fuse panel. I had wiggled every wire I could find, but could never re-create the failure.

I finally got a break when once when the radio went out, the horn wouldn't work huh.gif Finally found that if I squeezed the relay, the radio would stop working. So I swapped out the relay and no more problem.

just an idea...these cars are old
skline
I have seen MP3 indash units for less than $100.00. I dont think you will get a Kenwood unit for that, more like $150.00 for the low line Kenwood. MP3 is the only way to go IMHO. One CD will play for up to 10 hours without hearing the same song. Its all I run in any of my cars.
smooth_eddy
fyi, I had a similiar problem and finally traced it back to a bad round relay on the fuse panel. I had wiggled every wire I could find, but could never re-create the failure

So where is this relay located? Maybe I should check that first.
smooth_eddy
Well I climbed under the dash and checked voltage with my meter at the deck. The deck is works fine now and the input power is a steady 12 vdc. Intermittent elec probs are hard to trace out. Guess I will wait till it acts up again. sad.gif

Of course the stereo salesman said it is not worth repairing as it is appox 4 years old based on the model number. unsure.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (rezron @ Apr 19 2005, 08:32 AM)
I went to Best Buy and bought a new Kenwood for around $100.
Last years model- unopened box. All black in color with 2 tuner knobs.
It looks very good in a 914 dash.

I looked at that one...I thought it looked pretty 'retro' and would look good in a 914.

I went with an Alpine deck, because I can link it to my iPod...
Elliot_Cannon
Throw the stereo away and listen to the sweet musick that car makes. Listen to the car, collect your thoughts, think about whats happening, feel the vibration, become one with the machine. idea.gif Kind of a Zen thing. Or is it all a bunch of bs.gif
Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.