Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Twin Weber 40 idf's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
I bought a set for my 1.7 motor which replaces the missing 2.0 if motor.

I bought these a couple of months ago but have just got around to engine work.

This evening I got them out of packing tonight and I think I have a problem. I set them on their manifolds but it looks like they are single sided.

They are Italian stamped, 40 IDF. A search finds that they are likely off a fiat or alpha. I did however find a link to a 356 thread which is short and inconclusive.

Has anyone fitted this type/model with success?

I'll try to get pics uploaded asap.
JFG

JFG
Plans changed
Kansas 914
Weber 40IDF - is the most popular conversion on a Type 4 motor - you did good. Manifolds are easy to come by if needed.

Report back here as there are a lot of guys that can help you get the right jets/emulsion tube/air correction and venture sizes.

Good luck!

PS: Bonus points for getting the Italian made Webers. They are now made in Spain - I have both and either work for me. Most seem to like the original Italian version.
Optimusglen
Here are my Weber IDF 40's, came off my 1911 that was running at one point, but had been sitting for 20 years. I rebuilt them.

IPB Image
Luke M
If you need some manifolds I have a pr for sale :

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=294362&hl=
JFG
So to try to explain my problem a little clearer I took more pics today.

If you look at the throttle bodies you,'ll see one has it fitted and the other one doesn't. There is only minimal thread on one side of the throttle shaft and this is on the same side. Meaning I have 2 carbs for the same side.

I tried calling one carb spares place today and he said he would call back but didn't so will try another tomorrow if I get the chance.

Has anyone bought a pair of 40 IDF 13/15 and had this problem, then resolved it?
iankarr
QUOTE(JFG @ Oct 11 2016, 03:32 PM) *

So to try to explain my problem a little clearer I took more pics today.

If you look at the throttle bodies you,'ll see one has it fitted and the other one doesn't. There is only minimal thread on one side of the throttle shaft and this is on the same side. Meaning I have 2 carbs for the same side.

I tried calling one carb spares place today and he said he would call back but didn't so will try another tomorrow if I get the chance.

Has anyone bought a pair of 40 IDF 13/15 and had this problem, then resolved it?

They're all the same. Usually you just flip the throttle stop and spring on one of them to line up the spring sides. Or get the cable linkage from tangerine which can be configured for diagonal installation. But it seems as if you're missing the spring side on one carb. Shouldn't be hard to replace.

Btw....that tangerine linkage is hands down the best.
stugray
The issue is common. You cannot get a right & left version of the carb, you just have to make the linkage work.

Here is a kit that "fixes" the issue and explains the problem (search that site for a tech article on the installation for even more info).

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6455.htm

This kit will not work with the tangerine racing linkage as is.
Mark Henry
The nuts on the shafts are wrong, weber nuts are thin with a bend tab style lock washer, even so those shafts look really short.

Never over torque those nuts, they strip easy, use the lock washer.

Post number 5, the left hand carb in the pic, you should be able to swap the arms and idle screw around.
Mike D.
I get it, I see the problem. They do look as if they have been modified. I think the tangerine racing cable system will be you best, although pricy, solution... I'm not even sure if you have enough of the shaft for that either. I would contact Chris, and show him the pics.
ThePaintedMan
Yep, those won't work as-is. You'd need to disassemble and put in new throttle shafts which are available. That in itself isn't all that hard but the throttle shafts are drilled at a very specific angle for the accelerator pump cam. As far as I know you need a special jig to do that.

I believe in this case that someone must have had these mounted in a side-by-side application and cut the throttle shafts down to make them fit. Bummer.
JFG
Thanks for the advice, I've emailed Chris at tangerine racing and now waiting on his reply.

Does anyone have a pic of these carbs set up on their car, I've googled but most images are obscured by one thing or another.

Just had a thought. I could (couldn't I) remove the throttle shaft from the one that's been chopped and weld a threaded end on, then add the stop screw and linkage plates etc? That means I will then have a left and right carb so to speak?
ChrisFoley
It looks like those came off an inline six cylinder engine.
That's why one carb has 3 fuel fittings, one inlet and outlets to the carbs on either side.
I believe my linkage can be installed without modifying the carbs, buy you may need to buy a few small parts from Pierce Manifolds or other Weber parts supplier.
JFG
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 12 2016, 06:18 PM) *

That's why one carb has 3 fuel fittings, one inlet and outlets to the carbs on either side.
I believe my linkage can be installed without modifying the carbs, buy you may need to buy a few small parts from Pierce Manifolds or other Weber parts supplier.

I have been thinking wrong about these carbs all along. It's just struck me what i've done wrong.

They are the same carb! Hence the need for a central pivot, diagonal twist type linkage. Duh moment!

Thanks chris i'll check out your website and get on to my local weber parts place.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 12 2016, 11:18 AM) *

agree.gif

I am using Chris' linkage - truly a set it and forget application. Always in sync - which is a problem with most bellcrank linkage.
stugray
You definitely have either the wrong shafts, or the OP modified them.

On my 40 IDFs, I can put: a bearing endcap washer, spring washer, throttle return spring holder, a thick washer, AND Cris's pulley on my shaft with plenty of thread left over.

IPB Image

On your carbs I think you could barely put cris's pulley by itself with enough thread left.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 12 2016, 02:38 PM) *

You definitely have either the wrong shafts, or the OP modified them.

On your carbs I think you could barely put cris's pulley by itself with enough thread left.

I'm sure the shafts are correct for the application the carbs were built for.
I've dealt with this circumstance already and I don't think it will impair proper installation of my kit.
I have special throttle stop plates which are thinner than the standard ones.
They allow my pulleys to be attached to short shafts where the stock (double layer) plate doesn't leave enough threads.
My stop plates aren't part of the kit and they aren't listed on my website but they are described in the linkage installation instructions.
ThePaintedMan
Actually, now that I look at it, I have installed Chris' linkage on some of these early, short-shaft carbs. He machined the pulleys a little deeper and included the thinner throttle stop plates and all was well.

Originally I didn't see the first photo where the ends of the carbs were complete - the later photo the OP included makes it look like the shaft was cut off short.
rhodyguy
When you imagine how the throttle shaft arms would line up, carbs front to back, they may have been for a v-8 4 carb setup. Like the Inglese.

The brass tubes near the throttle shaft bosses are a new one to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.