Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater blower indicator light wiring help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brownaar
Trying to repair something I cut out that had previously shorted and fried. I am getting ready to add back the heater blower indicator light after a carpet install. First picture is what I have currently concerning the factory wiring for the center console. As you can see one wire is missing next to the red/white wire. I'm pretty sure it should be the black/blue wire that I had to cut out and currently have the wire nut on.
Click to view attachment

Is my thinking correct in this diagram about how to re-wire things?

Click to view attachment
pbanders
You might want to look at the wiring diagrams at Pelicanparts for help with this:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm

At the risk of hijacking your question, I have a question about the heater blower indicator, too. From what I can see, despite the presence of a socket on the heater control panel for the heater indicator, that on a 1970 914, there is no wiring for an indicator light. There is a fresh air blower light. Is that correct?
brownaar
Brad,
Not sure about your question. There is a fresh air blower light that comes on when you slide the switch for the 3-speed fresh air blower to any of the 3 speeds. I do not know of any other indicator lights on the dashboard ventilation controls. I am trying to sort out the indicator light that sits right behind the shifter for the heater blower. I have all those diagrams in my factory manuals. I am talking about #96 on Electrical Diagram 1973 Part II, listed as Illumination for heating lever on the legend. This diagram does show a black/blue wire going to the console gauges and the indicator light, I'm just trying to remember how it actually is wired. I have seen some other drawings/photos, but the wire colors differ. The others have had gray wires paired with the red/white in the one particular plug.
pbanders
Aaron, you've got a center console, right? I know it has an indicator as you describe, and I think my suggestion of looking at the wiring diagrams is useless, because they don't include the center console wiring. Looking at the fresh air blower indicator, it's in the current path to the control side of the relay, so I assume that's where you want the light for the heater blower, too. A DMM is your best friend here.
brownaar
Brad, I do not have a center console.

Here's my next question. Did any cars without a center console come with one of these. Paternie's book mentions having to remove it as one of the steps for installing a center console in a car that doesn't have one.

Click to view attachment
brownaar
Sorry, just read the pelican article which answers my last question. It shows removing one of these to do a center console install. Now if I can figure out my wiring question.
pbanders
Does anyone know if the early cars (mine's a '70) had this indicator? I don't have one.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(brownaar @ Oct 11 2016, 10:15 AM) *

Isn't this switch only for cars with rear window defroster glass (which is rare).
914_teener
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 7 2017, 07:15 AM) *

QUOTE(brownaar @ Oct 11 2016, 10:15 AM) *

Isn't this switch only for cars with rear window defroster glass (which is rare).

No.
Dave_Darling
It is not just for cars with the rear window defroster.

There is a light that goes in there on both center-console and non-center-console cars.

I don't know if early cars didn't have a light socket in there or not.

The light is hooked up to the instrument illumination lights, and will be on any time they are. That's what the black/blue wire carries--instrument illumination power. The light has nothing to do with whether the heater blower is running or not.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.