Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Van Dorn valve seat grinder.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mbseto

Sometimes I see something on CL and it looks like it might be something cool, or maybe not. And I'm a sucker for vintage tools. With the T4 valve seat issues, is this something relevant?
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/5807023926.html

TheCabinetmaker
I don't think valve seats are ground in type four heads. Old school American cast iron heads
Mark Henry
I still grind my seats, I also have seat cutters. Some heads I like one over the other.

You really need to know what you're doing and a set like that won't have the correct 9mm pilots. Or 8mm pilots for other VW heads or type 4 performance heads with stainless steel valves.
You need several pilots, each going up in size .001" to cover the valve guide tolerance spectrum, they are about $60 each. For 9mm alone you are looking at about $400 worth of pilots.

Most of those stones look pretty beat. Mo' money huh.gif

I don't see a stone dresser fixture... making that set basically useless. stromberg.gif
Mark Henry
Oh and then you still need a valve grinder, even if you're using new valves, to do a back cut on performance valve jobs and a true up the ends.
Plus you need coring drills, reams and drivers to be able to do the guides.
You should also have a spring pressure tester and proper height measuring tools, plus an assortment of shims to set the spring height.

All the while this is a really easy job to fuck up. smile.gif

mbseto
Thanks for the input Mark. Didn't buy it, but I always stop and look at any tool that comes in a wooden box.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 13 2016, 09:22 AM) *

Thanks for the input Mark. Didn't buy it, but I always stop and look at any tool that comes in a wooden box.

My Qwik Way set came in a steel box shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.