Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield replacement on a Race Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jamesjedi
Hi,,

Hopefully someone will know - how hard is it to replace the windshield on a race car that has had it removed? This is a fairly common modification to 914 race cars. welder.gif

Thanks

stugray
I made mine from a sheet of 1/4" lexan.
Made a router template from the old windshield, rough cut it with a jigsaw, then routed it with a laminate trim bit.

Then I installed riv-nuts to screw it down around the perimeter.

If you want to go that route, I could provide detailed instructions and pictures.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(jamesjedi @ Oct 11 2016, 04:04 PM) *

Hi,,

Hopefully someone will know - how hard is it to replace the windshield on a race car that has had it removed? This is a fairly common modification to 914 race cars. welder.gif

Thanks

The actual glass or the windshield frame?
Cracker
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 11 2016, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(jamesjedi @ Oct 11 2016, 04:04 PM) *

Hi,,

Thanks

The actual glass or the windshield frame?

Good question. If you are referring o the glass - easy. If the frame has been removed - far more difficult but everything is possible.

Tony
wndsrfr
QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 11 2016, 01:58 PM) *

Made a router template from the old windshield, rough cut it with a jigsaw, then routed it with a laminate trim bit.

If you want to go that route, I could provide detailed instructions and pictures.

I'm interested in a bit more info....my glass is so pockmarked & sandblasted that it's dazzling in bright sun--dangerously so. I'm thinking of doing a lexan replacement but need the encouragement of some pics & tips to get going on it.....
stugray
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Oct 28 2016, 07:47 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 11 2016, 01:58 PM) *

I'm interested in a bit more info....my glass is so pockmarked & sandblasted that it's dazzling in bright sun--dangerously so. I'm thinking of doing a lexan replacement but need the encouragement of some pics & tips to get going on it.....

I made a masonite template from the old windshield and verified that it fit the opening:
IPB Image

Traced the template onto the lexan:
IPB Image

Cut it outside the line with a jigsaw:
IPB Image

Routed it to size with a laminate trim bit and the masonite template as the guide:
IPB Image

The masonite template had holes drilled to transfer to the window frame.
Then I drilled each out to accept a floating rivet-nut:
IPB Image

The tool had to be modified to fit in the windshield track area:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Then I put self-adhesive black neoprene gasket in the track and screwed the windshield down:IPB Image

I ended up putting one more insert in each lower corner after those pics
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.