Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Route 66 Classic 2017 * Official Thread *
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
76-914
This years Rt 66 will begin in Temecula, CA then move on to Idyllwild, CA for the next 2 days. Our Temecula Motel will be in Old Town Temecula. If your mate, or yourself want to do some shopping at one of the many unique shops, knock down a few Rita's, take in a play or dine in; you'll be within walking distance of the Motel. And there is ample parking for tow rigs. We will relocate to Idyllwild on Friday and depart Sunday.
Fridays drive will include some of the "Dawn Patrols" best roads. The plan is to begin the first leg before breakfast. Most of this run is where the 4 cylinder's dominate. I promise you'll like it. This leg is about an hour long at which point we will stop at Harrah's for breakfast. I'm working on getting us parked in a display area while we eat. More on that later. After breakfast we will continue up the mountain to the Palomar Observatory. Once there we can stretch our legs and take in the Observatory. From there we will head over to Idyllwild. Many of you will remember the quaint village from Rt 66 2015. Depending upon the time of day we may or may not eat there. We'll play that by ear.
After talking to John it was decided that anything in the LA area was a cluster sheeplove.gif waiting to happen. It would be fine for an individual but 30+ 40 yo cars, attempting to stay together, be it in LA traffic or parking just wasn't feasible. I don't even want to think of what would happen if someone stalled or broke down. Rooms will be held for us until Jan 2 and released to the public after that. That being said, here is the new itinerary and the new dates. *NOTE* JAN 2 is the DEADLINE for IDYLLWILD MOTEL RESERVATIONS.
Please find Banquet Restaurant info on page 9 post #161
Updated Motel info:
Temecula; April 20, smoke.gif Motel 6/41900 Moreno Rd./local 951-676-7199/To make reservation call 800-544-4866/Group #M04300353/Group name=Rt 66 Porsche 914 Group/Individual Reservation Deadline=March 4, 2017. Rates are; 1 person=53.99, 2=59.99, 3=62.99, 4=65.99 plus tax.
Idyllwild; April 21, 22 Silver Pines Lodge is 1st Motel listed & the prices vary. Both Motels are Pet friendly. The price quoted is for 2 nights. You can save $$$ if you want to split a room especially those that sleep 4 or 6 people. Go to their website so you can view the rooms and amenities. There is a lodge with a back deck which will be nice for evening chats and drinks.
http://silverpineslodge.com 951-659-4335.

Guest Folio prepared for Kent Williams

Guest Name(s):
Kent Williams
Confirmation #:
P988922A10152
Address:
Arrival Date:
Friday, April 21, 2017

, , , USA
Departure Date:
Sunday, April 23, 2017

Party Size:
Email:
Room(s) Booked:
Village 14 - Ponderosa, Village 15 - Sequoia, Village 22 - Sugar Pine, Village 20 - Maple, Village 18- Redwood, Village 17 - Cedar, Village 16 - Manzanita, Lodge 13 - Rustic Retreat, Lodge 12 - Old Idyllwild, Triplex 10 - Bear's Den, Triplex 9 - Tahquitz, Duplex 8 - Owl's Nest, Duplex 7 - Cat Nap, Lodge 6 - Lazy Lilac, Lodge 5 - Wild Strawberry, Lodge 4 - The Library, Cabin 3 - Pioneer, Cabin 2 - Vista, Cabin 1 - The Cottage

Current List of Banquet Attendees: LMK if I've got any of this wrong. TIA, Kent

StratPlayer - Jim & wifey
Vegas Racer- John
Rhodyguy - Kevin
Chris914n6- Chris

914_teener - Rob + 1
Blue6 - Dave
Phatt911 - Cesar
Heeltoe914 - Leamon
Michael7810 - Michael
jim_hoyland -
STEVE - Steve
76-914 - Kent + wife
Keith914
Don-6 - Don + Tina
Mike D. - Mike
914-300Hemi - Ravi + Michelle
olsib914 - Mike + Kim
914RZ-1
vanlynch + 1
Socalandy
Jim- Banananose914
a914luvr - Glen
garettlee2
JustinMeier
Yet another run on my calendar biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
Awesome job Kent. aktion035.gif You Rock in a major way.
StratPlayer
Very good Kent, you can count on the wife and I being there.
76-914
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Oct 12 2016, 08:52 AM) *

Awesome job Kent. aktion035.gif You Rock in a major way.

Maybe. I've already received a question re: my choice of Motels in Ontario. I'll wait for the peanut gallery to check in on this. Maybe I can get someone to scout out a better location if there is one.

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Oct 12 2016, 10:55 AM) *

Very good Kent, you can count on the wife and I being there.

It wouldn't feel right with out ya, Jim. Look forward to seeing the 3 of you in April. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
I can see myself flying into ontario for this one. Rt on Alaska is pretty cheap. Direct flight too.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 12 2016, 02:54 PM) *

Maybe. I've already received a question re: my choice of Motels in Ontario. I'll wait for the peanut gallery to check in on this. Maybe I can get someone to scout out a better location if there is one.

I lived and worked right there.. That was always the shady part of 4th st, so that's why I questioned it. South side of the 10 on Archibald should still be a bit on the cheap side and just a tad better hotels. You might still run in to a call girl though... Some of you might not mind that laugh.gif
Toast
Make sure your brakes and clutch are up to par. This run is gonna be a lot of stop and go. unsure.gif
Chris914n6
I was going to wait to to see how it pans out but I'm kinda idea.gif about the 10 freeway to the pier on a Sat also. Sunday afternoon was pretty packed on my way back from WCR15. Maybe a loop around Angels Crest instead?
No worries, plenty of time for the locals to chime in.

What weekend is the Pomona swap meet?
914_teener
Hey Kent,

Thanks for doing this.

GMR is closed indefinitely due to the fires, so a Baldy run would be up and back the same road from Upland.

Angels Crest loop is a great drive up the backside and down the front. Plenty of stops and cool places in Pasadena and other cities on the way back...most on R66. There are even a few places on the old R66 with the emblem painted on the old Route 66...Cleghorn Canyon through the pass. It also burned just a little while ago but stopped short of Wrightwood. Fun and scenic drive and the road is open. I can propose alternates if God willing there is snow up high in April that would close the backside route up through Angeles Crest.

I'll PM for alternate Hotels and options if you like.

Rob
57lincolnman
It's on my calendar. New to SoCal from the Atlanta area. My 914 is being shipped out as I write this. Sounds like a great trip
ndfrigi
QUOTE(57lincolnman @ Oct 12 2016, 09:47 PM) *

It's on my calendar. New to SoCal from the Atlanta area. My 914 is being shipped out as I write this. Sounds like a great trip

Welcome to SoCal!
Blue6
Kent, sounds great. Plenty of time to fine tune, and you'll have lots of help from the locals. smile.gif
euro911
Hmmm ... only 5-months to get the old 'BB' back in shape smash.gif
Coondog
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 12 2016, 04:39 PM) *

I was going to wait to to see how it pans out but I'm kinda idea.gif about the 10 freeway to the pier on a Sat also. Sunday afternoon was pretty packed on my way back from WCR15. Maybe a loop around Angels Crest instead?

I agree, 10 fwy to SM pier on any day is going to be a parking lot. You would have to start the run there by 8am to beat weekend traffic if your lucky. AC hwy from Glendale to Wrightwood is awesome but depending on winter weather it's a crap shoot on if it's going to be open due to past storm road repair.

How about a run to the Queen Mary...... Lots of freeway choices and it's only 10 bucks for parking " lots of room " everyone can check out the boat as it's free to board and walk around.
Coondog

What weekend is the Pomona swap meet?

April 23, 2017
76-914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Oct 12 2016, 08:24 PM) *

Hey Kent,

Thanks for doing this.

GMR is closed indefinitely due to the fires, so a Baldy run would be up and back the same road from Upland.

Angels Crest loop is a great drive up the backside and down the front. Plenty of stops and cool places in Pasadena and other cities on the way back...most on R66. There are even a few places on the old R66 with the emblem painted on the old Route 66...Cleghorn Canyon through the pass. It also burned just a little while ago but stopped short of Wrightwood. Fun and scenic drive and the road is open. I can propose alternates if God willing there is snow up high in April that would close the backside route up through Angeles Crest.

I'll PM for alternate Hotels and options if you like.

Rob

Thanks Rob, Please do PM me. I told John I didn't know that area and it shows. We are not obligated to Motel 6. If you know of a place you would recommend, LMK. You can see how the prices escalate as we depart the Temecula area. Same goes for the drive. I'm up for any improved or necessary changes. Mountain drives will always be subject to weather conditions and we can adjust if required. There are plenty of driving options. We are also in need of suggestions for a spot to hold the Awards Banquet Saturday night. Hopefully it is next to the agreed upon Motel so we can avoid drinking and driving. California is Hell on Drunk Driving and for a good reason. Thx, Kent beerchug.gif

QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 13 2016, 03:55 AM) *

I agree, 10 fwy to SM pier on any day is going to be a parking lot. You would have to start the run there by 8am to beat weekend traffic if your lucky. AC hwy from Glendale to Wrightwood is awesome but depending on winter weather it's a crap shoot on if it's going to be open due to past storm road repair.

How about a run to the Queen Mary...... Lots of freeway choices and it's only 10 bucks for parking " lots of room " everyone can check out the boat as it's free to board and walk around.

I'm totally up for an early departure; Dawn Patrol style driving.gif . I still get up early to make runs so I can have the roads to myself. So the Dawn Patrol still exists, it's just down to one active member. lol-2.gif The preferred departure time for Rt 66 runs has always been 9:14 but I would strongly suggest that time be changed to 9:14 CST or plan on being in knee deep traffic. I think starting early at the Santa Monica pier (or any alternate Rt 66 place) would be wise if not advisable. From what I know of that area I would think we'd need to be there no later than 6:30. Given the amount of drinking that goes on the nite before that may not work. shades.gif Please PM me with your suggestions. Thx, Kent beerchug.gif
Toast
The traffic and signal lights are also really bad in the Ontario and LA area. You should probably make a printable schedule with designated photo and other stops. Because the group will definitely get split up. And as always anywhere in SoCal there will be parking issues. So try to plan for that in advance. I don't know if you can reserve parking areas or not.
phatnine11
Kent,
The Ontario location is about 4 miles from my house, Justin is right about the area. I'll keep an eye out for another location, maybe south of the 10, down Vineyard Ave. Also, the dates 04/6 to the 9th, usually the Festival of Speed is on that weekend (first weekend in April). I'll check to see if anything has been put on the PCA calendar.
Cesar
Elliot Cannon
OMG! This means I won't have to cross the Mohave again?
76-914
Great. Thx for the support folks. Lets get some ideas posted and bounce them off the wall. Maybe we can give Blue6 $100 to watch the cars at night with the promise that he can shoot anyone messing with a teener. happy11.gif He's been retired for awhile now and I'm sure he has an itchy trigger finger. lol-2.gif Cesar, thx for the info on Festival of Speed but it doesn't really matter. As long as I've been here there is always another event happening during one of ours. Some will go and others will attend Rt 66. It might be a blessing in disguise as I suspect a bigger than usual attendance since we will be in SoCal.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 13 2016, 06:03 PM) *

Since you will leave at least a week early you should cross the desert anyway.

hide.gif
JustinMeier
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 13 2016, 05:24 PM) *

Great. Thx for the support folks. Lets get some ideas posted and bounce them off the wall. Maybe we can give Blue6 $100 to watch the cars at night with the promise that he can shoot anyone messing with a teener. happy11.gif He's been retired for awhile now and I'm sure he has an itchy trigger finger. lol-2.gif Cesar, thx for the info on Festival of Speed but it doesn't really matter. As long as I've been here there is always another event happening during one of ours. Some will go and others will attend Rt 66. It might be a blessing in disguise as I suspect a bigger than usual attendance since we will be in SoCal.

There's a few cholos on my wife's side of the family that would be happy to grab their 'gats' and watch our cars for some beer laugh.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Oct 14 2016, 06:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 13 2016, 06:03 PM) *

Since you will leave at least a week early you should cross the desert anyway.

hide.gif

Maybe I will just drive to Barstow and back. That way, I can still stop here. biggrin.gif https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCcjGZUZsLU
Coondog

Maybe I will just drive to Barstow and back. That way, I can still stop here. biggrin.gif https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCcjGZUZsLU
[/quote]

Amboys a long way from Barstow, Peggy Sues Diner is off R-66 next to barstow
mgp4591
If you decide to make that leg of the run, it's possible some of us easterners would meet you there - kinda take a little more of Rt.66 than is in the original schedule... driving.gif shades.gif
Chris914n6
icon_bump.gif
914_teener
Looking at possible hotels this weekend.

Taking the car for a drive Sat.

Chris914n6
An option to the pier.

Petersen Automotive Museum
6060 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Heeltoe914
Thanks so much for putting this together, and most of all thanks for allowing input.
I would be happy to look into Hotels closer to the north side of the LA area. I feel I can get good rates that will kill allot of that freeway time. I will also be happy to work with you on routes to get us around traffic. This is what I do everyday as an estimator I drive allot.
The Peterson is a great museum for visitors with its 90 million Dollar resent renovation, its something to think about doing, two hours is all you need.
Ontario to los Angeles is a bad drive. If you like we can consider closer to Glendale, Pasadena, or the surrounding areas, as long as I you/we get a rate you like for this event. We can do the Pier, The Peterson, Newcombs Ranch a popular Car & biker hot spot on the crest. I am hear if you need assitants..
914_teener
Leamon...

I was thinking the same....maybe Pasadena area with a loop drive to Newcombs....back side R66 back to Pasadena or the other way.

I thought maybe I.d PM Kent with an possible itin after Temecula.
76-914
We're heading in a different direction; just as cool. I've been working on it for a few weeks after talking with John. Didn't want to post anything until I have all the wrinkles worked out. I should be able to update everyone by Monday. beerchug.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 18 2016, 06:52 PM) *

We're heading in a different direction; just as cool. I've been working on it for a few weeks after talking with John. Didn't want to post anything until I have all the wrinkles worked out. I should be able to update everyone by Monday. beerchug.gif

Yes sir.....

beerchug.gif

A pre-run would be fun.
phatnine11
QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 18 2016, 07:12 PM) *

Leamon...

I was thinking the same....maybe Pasadena area with a loop drive to Newcombs....back side R66 back to Pasadena or the other way.

I thought maybe I.d PM Kent with an possible itin after Temecula.

Anything west of the 605 will be on the pricey side. Traffic on the 210 even on the weekends is killer. A drive through Angeles Crest then the 14 to Devil's Punchbowl might be a nice run. We can find somewhere to eat in Pearblossom. Maybe Glendale or Eagle Rock would be a better place for hotel/motel rooms?
Just my 2 cents!
Phatnine11
Toast
What about Mulholland Drive?

I know its a ways but it has always been a teener favorite.
And if you are a smooth talker like SLITS was you could talk your way out of a ticken if you get pulled over. rolleyes.gif
rhodyguy
Haha. Ron went from first in line to last and falling behind on that run. 06' in Camarillo? The LEO was getting out of his cruiser when I drove past.
76-914
Changes in date & itinerary are listed in the 1st post. See you there! Kent beerchug.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 29 2016, 06:03 PM) *

Changes in date & itinerary are listed in the 1st post. See you there! Kent beerchug.gif

Nice choice for lodging in Idyllwild. Very cool property.

76-914
Booked!
rhodyguy
Thanks for bumping this thread. I was just getting ready to search for it.
AZ914
Kent,
The new route and dates look great. I hope I can make it out this year.
Thanks for organizing!
michael7810
Thanks Kent for arranging what looks like a great trip. I booked my rooms at both Hotels. Took #9 at Idyllwild. She told me it's ALWAYS COLD in April and very well could snow. Reminds me of another Rt 66 I recently attended.
Chris914n6
Temecula Ave. 78-48F

Idyllwild Ave. 66-36F
I'm guessing that's in town and not in mountain so a bit colder?

Don't have to be concerned about warm beer beer.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif drunk.gif

Now where's that seat heater thread biggrin.gif
76-914
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Dec 1 2016, 01:10 PM) *

Kent,
The new route and dates look great. I hope I can make it out this year.
Thanks for organizing!

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Dec 1 2016, 01:36 PM) *

Thanks Kent for arranging what looks like a great trip. I booked my rooms at both Hotels. Took #9 at Idyllwild. She told me it's ALWAYS COLD in April and very well could snow. Reminds me of another Rt 66 I recently attended.

Let's just say I have a whole new respect for John and his previous accomplishments. shades.gif Idyllwild is the Hub for several damned nice roads. The first day, after departing Temecula, we will make a run up Mt Palomar. We should arrive at the observatory close to noon.Stealing an idea from RRC 2012 I'm thinking about taking some sack lunches. Turkey for some, ham for others, w/a bag of chips. Maybe a Moon Beam Pie for Ellyut av-943.gif . Ya'll would bring your own sodas so I wouldn't have to tote 50 cans. idea.gif Comments?
jim_hoyland
You might consider contacting a local food truck company and see if they would set up for us.
VegasRacer
I'm gonna be staying in the 'teener room. # 14, Ponderosa, at the village in Idyllwild.

What rooms did everybody else choose? confused24.gif
euro911
901 ... laugh.gif

Kidding.

I haven't made reservations yet, as I don't know if I'll have the 'BB' ready in time for the run ... not that it made any difference in the past rolleyes.gif
michael7810
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 1 2016, 05:52 PM) *

Temecula Ave. 78-48F

Idyllwild Ave. 66-36F
I'm guessing that's in town and not in mountain so a bit colder?

Don't have to be concerned about warm beer beer.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif drunk.gif

Now where's that seat heater thread biggrin.gif

Exactly why I have heat in my car
Steve
I live close by, so I will try to hangout with everyone and sleep in my own bed.
76-914
Go for it! I did that at the Rt66 in Palm Springs. Saved $120 and I missed out on a lot. Have to leave early every nite; no beer unless I wanted to chance a DUI and an extra 2 hr's travel time every day. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.