Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is that funky smell?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MadeRight
I've only had my 914 a year and further have only driven it about 10 miles. When I get in the thing, it smells of gas or something like that.

It is fairly rust free as far as 914s go, so I am wondering if this smell is common, or should I be wearing a flame-retardent suit when I drive?

Are there common areas where gas tends to leak in the engine compartment?

Thanks,
MadeRight
mudfoot76
If your cars has carbs, after sitting for awhile (or even overnight) it might smell like gasoline....
phantom914
The interiors have a funny smell too, assuming it is still original. I think it is the deteriorating foam and vinyl. Not quite a gasoline smell, just a funny smell that you can't quite pin down.

Andrew
Allan
Personally, if it was mine I would at a minimum, pull the carpet and check in the center tunnel, lift the tank and check all the hoses and connections and check all of the hoses and fittings in the engine bay. Smelling gas inside the car would make me nervous.
tat2dphreak
just like new cars have a new-car smell... 30 year old cars have a smell too... it's the smell of 30 years of bad farts adding up... the smell of feet and old cheese wink.gif
Yoei66
I was having an issue with smelling gas fumes inside the car. I had leaky dried up fuel lines below the gas tank, and running to the fuel pump. The fuel pump on '75s is under the fuel tank. When the fuel pump turned on & the hoses pressurized I'd occasionally get a few drops of gas that dripped out into the bay below the gas tank. I have since replaced the fuel lines with new ones, and no longer smell gas inside the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.