Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you remove the outside mirror glass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toolguy
How do you get the glass out of the side mirror. . Looks like the plastic retainer needs to come out but I didn't want to just try and pry it
apart without knowing that's the correct way. .
pbanders
I'd be interested in this, too. Ideally, I'd like to know a procedure for refurbishing the stock exterior mirrors. Does anyone make the plastic retainers?
bdstone914
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 12 2016, 03:10 PM) *

I'd be interested in this, too. Ideally, I'd like to know a procedure for refurbishing the stock exterior mirrors. Does anyone make the plastic retainers?

I have popped them out by carefully prying around the edge. Do not know of a supplier for that plastic ring.
Two sizes for the early and late mirrors.

Maybe we can get Mikey to make them.

Yeah ! Mikey makes anything.

Anybody remember the Life cereal commercials?
rgalla9146
"Give it to Mikey, he eats anything " ?
stugray
The only time I have had to have them out was because they broke and I was replacing the mirror glass anyway.

So maybe.... break them?
mepstein
I use my fingers. Be careful if you use a a tool to pry it up. Many mirrors have prior damage.
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 12 2016, 06:40 PM) *

"Give it to Mikey, he eats anything " ?

no no no
-give it to Mikey he HATES everything ... hey (look at) Mikey! he likes it!
IOW if Mikey who hates everything likes it, it must be pretty fuchin good

can't hejp with the mirror but interested in the answer

beerchug.gif
cjl
Garland
Here is a old post, with pictures. (includes how to replace the glass)
Title:
Can you tighten a factory side mirror?, Mine won't stay put!

2005 Post Link
altitude411
Yeah Mark, add to the big list? cheer.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEXzx-TINc
pbanders
QUOTE(Garland @ Oct 12 2016, 08:00 PM) *

Here is a old post, with pictures. (includes how to replace the glass)
Title:
Can you tighten a factory side mirror?, Mine won't stay put!

2005 Post Link

Thanks, much appreciated.
pbanders
If you want a replacement black mirror gasket, turns out Auto Atlanta sells them, see link below. They also sell replacement glass for the mirrors, too. I didn't see the clear plastic backing piece, but you can usually repair those with tape and glue, no matter how far gone they are. They sell both the 5" and 5 1/4" mirrors and gaskets.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/a...;subsec=MIRRORS

Cuda911
I bought some used mirrors that had good housings but cracked mirrors. Are you replacing the mirror glass? If so, carefully break the glass out first, then it's easy to remove the plastic ring.

altitude411
Can anyone answer the question of weather the early and late glass size is the same?
pbanders
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Oct 13 2016, 07:28 AM) *

Can anyone answer the question of weather the early and late glass size is the same?

From the link to the AA mirror parts I posted, they say that there are two mirrors, one is 5" wide, the other is 5 1/4" wide. Not sure which one is early or late, but they're different. It's easy enough to measure and know which parts you'll need.
mepstein
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 13 2016, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Oct 13 2016, 07:28 AM) *

From the link to the AA mirror parts I posted, they say that there are two mirrors, one is 5" wide, the other is 5 1/4" wide. Not sure which one is early or late, but they're different. It's easy enough to measure and know which parts you'll need.

Early is smaller
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.