Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remounting horns.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william harris
Well, I am at the point of reinstalling the horns, etc. When the horns were removed I noticed the remnants of what appeared to be a rubber washer/gasket behind the mounting tab. Anyone know what these parts might be? idea.gif
Doug Leggins
Yes there was a rubber gasket there. i took one of the rubber washers to Lowes and matched it up to the closest part that they had. I think that i used two on each side to get near the thickness of the original part.
william harris
Almost nothing was left of the 30 year old piece, so, how thick should it be? confused24.gif
rhodyguy
ones for where the wires pass through the body or the back of the light housing? i was at a autobody suppy store and was surprise at the grommets, plugs, and spacers the had in stock. someone at the bird said harbor freight sold a selection in kit form.

k
william harris
I'm asking about the tab with the bolt that connects to the front of the car. The grommet was still on the wiring harness. What is Harbor Freight?
Eric_Shea
They look to be the same thickness as a regular washer of that size. About 1/16th, maybe 3/32nds.
william harris
Thanks Eric: by the way my buddy Eric Sanders (partsman here) is gonna ship you my pedal assembly from his new dealership - Porsche of Nashua, New Hampshire. What do you think of the paint job - see my latest posts on the restoration thread? Next puzzle, how the hell can I get the wiring harness thru the large rubber grommet (Bowlsby calls it the snorkel). lol2.gif
Eric_Shea
Stunning smilie_pokal.gif

It will be fun to watch it come together.

For the wiring harness, try this...
william harris
Have you seen the size of the snorkel? I will post a picture later today. dry.gif
Doug Leggins
I found a fairly intact washer in my hardware stash. The original size is about 3/32" thick and about 1 3/16" in diameter. I found 5/16" x 1 1/4" x 1/16" rubber washers at Lowes -pretty close in size except for the thickness, so i used 2 on each horn.

Even found a pic of the horns and hardware.

william harris
Damn man, you got the goods. After the suggestions today, I went to my local hardware store, found two different sizes of rubber washers and installed the horns! Today's progress. Now I'm working on the front turn signals and driving lights. Probably going to upgrade to Pilots. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.