Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to me 1974 is here! Let the updates begin...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
tygaboy
I bought the Olympic Blue '74 1.8 that Brad at 914 Ltd was advertising.
After tons of hand wringing trying to decide on a shipping company, I decided to go with a known quantity and contacted InterCity Lines. These are the folks who transport for Wayne Carini, Jay Leno, Gas Monkey. Not that that was the determining factor, but it sounded better than working through a broker and hoping for the best, particularly after reading A LOT of frightening Yelp reviews... Yes, they were about $400 - $500 more expensive than the average quote I got.

Anyway, InterCity quoted me 3-4 weeks before they could pick it up, which was fine as I'm in no hurry and Brad was more than willing to keep it inside for me until it could be picked up. But suprise! They called and said they had a cancellation and could get the car today!

Brad to the rescue again as he was able to make a last minute change work!

Brad just called to let me know the car was picked up. Then he says:

"There is something you need to know..." And I'm thinking, Crap, here we go.
Brad continues:

"On the truck with your car are cars headed to Canepa. A 4 cam 356, a 934, an RSR... each of the other cars are probably in the $1M range..."

So my l'il ol' 1.8 is riding to its new home with some impressive relatives.

Thought you'd enjoy what I hope is an exciting beginning for Oly B!

I plan to introduce him/her (not sure yet as we haven't formally met) to folks attending WCR 2017. See you there!
injunmort
nice
Larmo63
That looks like a tight car, it deserves to be in good company!
Camaro Mike
Congratulations!
theleschyouknow
Nice! congrats
would love see it at WCR -if I can make it, love to see yosemite and tour the surrounds in my 914 I'm laying vacation ground work already with the boss
best of luck shoot some pics of its arrival either way but especially if it's still in its present company

beerchug.gif
cjl
Frankvw
Congrats. Nice color !! I hope you will enjoy him/her.
My car also was in company when delivered. A volvo and a citroen worth 40k together....but at least they kept my 914 dry ! smile.gif
Click to view attachment
shoguneagle
Congratulations, a very fine car indeed. When dealing with Brad, you are dealing with a number one class act.
EdwardBlume
I like that color for some reason! laugh.gif

Congratulations! smilie_pokal.gif
napasteve
Bay area Olympic Blue club???

Click to view attachment
iwanta914-6
So awesome!

Maybe they'll unload the RSR at your house instead. LOL

Enjoy the 914, someday I will join in the fun.
tygaboy
QUOTE(napasteve @ Oct 13 2016, 11:40 AM) *

Bay area Olympic Blue club???

Click to view attachment

OK Steve, I'm officially jealous! Look at that beauty...
Can't wait to see it in person!
bandjoey
You have to name it your Million Dollar Baby beer.gif
tygaboy
It's here! It's here! And as promised, here are some pics of the arrival, along with some of the traveling companions... So f-ing cool!
tygaboy
Scott, the driver, is a very cool guy. He says "that's the Carrera 2 under the cover, but go ahead and climb up and check out the 962 that's riding up front..."
So I did! shades.gif
tygaboy
Couldn't resist this view. Looking back over the Lowenbrau 935 to see my 914 just peeking over the rear fender. Almost the same color! And what a view my car had on the ride out!
tygaboy
And who's downstairs? Just one of my all time favorite cars!
tygaboy
Let's see that one just a little bit more! drooley.gif drooley.gif
tygaboy
A quick trip across town and the new arrival is home and dry!
Big thanks to Brad at 914 LTD and InterCity Lines. Use both with 100% confidence! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Ferg
Very cool.

Did he have to move the 934 or 962 to offload the 914? It's always fun to hear them run.

Rand
smilie_pokal.gif What a fun delivery story. Here's to your ownership being just as exciting.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 17 2016, 03:43 PM) *

Very cool.

Did he have to move the 934 or 962 to offload the 914? It's always fun to hear them run.

Now that would have been M&Ms in the frosting of an already delicious delivery cake. But no. The ramp raises straight up, remaining horizontal, he backs my car out and lowers the ramp to the ground. So either of the back two cars can come out without disturbing the others.
Ferg
Bummer but I figured as much by the pics.
napasteve
Congrats Chris. Great looking car.
Gmanscott55
Great car Chris. Thanks for sharing. I took deliver of mine in Feb. Delivery from Scottsdale,Az to Sunset Beach,Ca. Nothing like the moment it arrives . ENJOY !! aktion035.gif
rock914
Chris,

She will be missed, what a great job you did getting her from Illinois to California (back home). On a side note, I would like to thank Brad from 914ltd for brokering the car for me. He is a great guy and my decision to use Brad was because I knew how nice the car was but Brad brings credibility and experience to the process.

Chris enjoy the car and I'll check in from time to time to see how you two are getting along.

Bob
Cracker
Congratulations Chris...looks like a real beauty! NOW, drive it for at least a month before disassembling it... poke.gif

Tony
DRPHIL914
"I plan to introduce him/her (not sure yet as we haven't formally met) to folks attending WCR 2017. See you there!"

ah , well, from my point of view, due to color, and anatomy(unless your car has gone the way of a certain cross dressing former Olympic decathalon champ, I'd say its a she - so I guess you could name it Bruce or Kaytlin??
blink.gif rolleyes.gif - and triple pun since it is "Olympic blue"
iwanta914-6
A 962 was on the truck? Hot damn!

Love the oly blue, very nice buy!
rgalla9146
Ted Field / Danny Ongais Interscope 935
Not too many drivers go from success in drag racing to success in road racing.
Any clue where it was going ? the others ? 962 mmmmm
914 sweet ! enjoy !
tygaboy
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 18 2016, 03:40 PM) *

Ted Field / Danny Ongais Interscope 935
Not too many drivers go from success in drag racing to success in road racing.
Any clue where it was going ? the others ? 962 mmmmm
914 sweet ! enjoy !

Apparently, there was a show back east. The race cars were headed (back?) to Canepa's. Not sure about the Carerra 2.
Cracker
I bet that was the show where AA/George and the M471 fella was - a car show (Monticello I believe). So they had some real cars there...cool! poke.gif

T
Larmo63
Great car, great color, good year, and you are in good hands with anything related to Brad .

Have fun with it!!!!
frankieshooz
Chris nice car! I noticed you live pretty close to me, I'm in Mill Valley and am a 914 newbie just having bought a 73 2.0 recently. Trying to build a network of teener enthusiasts not many of these around these parts just Teslas, Ferraris, 911's, and a few Astons....my little 914 doesn't get much notice but I love it! Looks like you've some experience with these....lmk if you're up to get together for drive, fixit sessions, or just chat.

tygaboy
Let the updates begin! (Like I don't have enough to do having entered the Build-Off Challenge...)
I decided to replace the painted bumpers with some nice chromes that I'd been saving for the LS car. But given they are in such nice shape, I can't see slicing up the front one to accommodate the cooling needs. So on the '74 they go!

I also love the simple, no fog light look. wub.gif
tygaboy
Shiny!
tygaboy
I've been collecting parts so I can "do everything" at one go. Almost everything is here, including a near perfect set of 16 x 6 Fuchs!

I'm replacing the clutch, the clutch, speedo and throttle cables, installing a rebuilt pedal assy (Thanks bdstone!) and shifter bushings, new seatbelts, 911 front struts w/SC calipers, Koni Yellows all around, PMB rear calipers and 5 lug hub conversion, new rotors, turbo tie rods, 19mm m/c... I may have gone a little overboard but...it's an Olympic Blue car! What else could I do?!?! biggrin.gif

A couple weekends worth of work and I should be all set for WCR2017! driving.gif
ndfrigi
wow sir Chris you are really blessed with free beautiful wheels and with tires! Can't wait to see your car running!
mepstein
Trust me, the driver isn't allowed to just jump in and start up those race cars. If anyone started up our 962 but Russo, they would loose their hand.
tygaboy
All the goodies are here so yesterday I pushed the LS project car into the garage and the '74 into the shop. This one is getting 5 lug, Carrera struts/brakes, Koni yellows, rear coil over update, and a host of other "service/replace/improve" items.

The goal is to have it all spiffed up for WCR. Let's go...!

I've only written one line of "Ode to Rust" so far and I'm not sure how the poem will end up but for sure it contains this:

"Get the tar out' your car..."

This was a beautiful floor, with just this one sorta liiiiiiiitle spot that looked like it might have something under it.

About an hour later and well, there you have it. Just surfacy at this point but we all know where this leads...
tygaboy
I'll likely be selling this car at the end of summer so I'm documenting all the updates to have a complete log of everything.
Turbo tie rods? Check!
And my shop helper appears unimpressed. But trust me, if you knew her, you'd know she's LOVING this car...
tygaboy
Floors ready for new sound/insulation pads.
Charcoal carpet set and new vinyl on the way from 914 Rubber!
tygaboy
I pulled the rocker covers. Looks near perfect!
Dave_Darling
Impressively clean car!

Your assistant sure has the "tortitude" thing down! biggrin.gif

--DD
tygaboy
The other side looks just as nice! I love it when that happens.
tygaboy
It's a car from the 70's so I guess it's possible the brakes would have been described as "Groovy"... but this is ridiculous! lol-2.gif

No worries, I have PMB rebuilt rear calipers and new rotors all set to go on.
Krieger
Wow!
tygaboy
Floors done and ready for new vinyl and carpet. I opted to leave the rear most floor channels open to enable evaporation, just in case any water were to find its way in.
tygaboy
I decided that since it was this far apart, I might as well take care of some other updates/service items. So the trailing arms are getting new bushings and a powder coat. That'll take a week or so - which gets me back working on the front of the car.

Today I got the torsion bar mounts in and the sway bar U-tabs welded on (big thanks to Maddog Motorsports for the quick shipping!)

I primed under all the parts before welding, then primed and top coated. I figure with a bit of drive time, the new paint won't look so new, compared to the rest of the fender well. Should blend in well over time.

And there are a couple spots on the car that would benefit from a bit of seam sealer touch up so I'll be sealing around the sway bar mounts, too. Then another top coat.

New ball joints are on, too.
Cairo94507
Nice car and nice work. That will be a very quick sell when the time comes.
tygaboy
I had a bit of time today so in went the 19mm ATE master cylinder and the rebuilt pedal assembly. Thanks to bdstone! cheer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.