Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 3 yr / 6 conversion plan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
OK spent this past Saturday at a PCA event in South Bend. There were two other 914's both /6 conversions. Sorry, no pics of them but one was a coversion Perry did (very nice). Later Jiim912928 stopped by there and we are talking about conversions and well I think I finally have a direction I want to go with my car. screwy.gif A nice /6 driver that is used for AXing.

Its going to be a /6 but I am working a three year plan while keeping on the road during the summer months and collecting parts. I know, I know, its cheaper in the long run to buy one that is done but hey, wheres the fun in that laugh.gif

So my plan is this: Now,start collecting parts, winter of 2005 do the 5 lug conversion and brake & suspension upgrade. Summer 2006 collect more parts, winter 2006 body work (steel flares, Engman stiffing kit, minor rust repair, paint and new seals). Summer 2007 collect yet more parts, winter 2007 install /6 engine(not sure maybe a 3.0?), oil tank, cooler and various other misc items. Summer 2008 drive the piss out of it biggrin.gif

I think this can be done this way, I guess I will find out. Oh, and here are few action shots from this past Saturday. Sean, the numbers look great, got a lot of compliments on them.

On grid driving.gif
GaroldShaffer
Corner shot, look at that great driving skill laugh.gif nice line dumbass screwy.gif
seanery
I'd wait to paint it til you got done cutting stuff. Do the motor, then the paint maybe?
GaroldShaffer
Last one, don't I look like a one of the guys (Storm something?) from Star Wars ohmy.gif huh.gif blink.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (seanery @ Apr 19 2005, 08:25 AM)
I'd wait to paint it til you got done cutting stuff. Do the motor, then the paint maybe?

confused24.gif I guess so, I need to research here on how others have done their /6 conversions. I have to admit, there is part of me that wouldn't mind going one of Jakes motors instead of the 6, I just really like the looks of a six sitting in there.
ArtechnikA
my opinion, as always, is to buy the engine LAST.

if you do the brakes and suspension first - you get a nice 4-cyl car to drive.
if you buy the engine first - then you are committed to that engine - and you have thousands tied up in a lump that you could have put to work buying suspension and brake upgrade parts. that stuff will keep you busy while you shop for engines and plumbing bits and oil tanks and such. then - while you're working on those upgrades, you're saving your cash for the right engine deal to come along.

but lots of people do it the other way - spend $3000 on something that sits there, in the way, taunting them while they trip over it every day wondering why they don't have the money to buy suspension parts...
nebreitling
yup, i'd say engine and paint last...

you'll have a nice /4 driver until that...

when trekkor did his /6 (engine only, no suspension, brakes, flares, etc), i think his car was only undrivable for like two weeks.

n
blabla914
Do what rich said.

Suspension first. Then motor. I'd do paint last. Your car looks pretty nice now.

That's what I did. Though it still isn't painted. Actually, I prefer to stay away from paint jobs I feel bad cleaning with windex.
If you do the suspension right, you will be pretty pleased with the cars you will hang with on the autocross course with the -4. The six will change the handling a bit and you may need to make some adjustments. If you get the car handling well with the 4 and understand why you won't have any problems making the necessary adjustments.
You will also be able to work on your driving before you add a lot of power. Ever notice how pro drivers start with low powered cars and move up? The best generally don't move up until they excel driving the little cars.
Take your time and enjoy it.

Kelly
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (blabla914 @ Apr 19 2005, 09:38 AM)
Do what rich said.

Suspension first. Then motor. I'd do paint last. Your car looks pretty nice now.

That's what I did. Though it still isn't painted. Actually, I prefer to stay away from paint jobs I feel bad cleaning with windex.
If you do the suspension right, you will be pretty pleased with the cars you will hang with on the autocross course with the -4. The six will change the handling a bit and you may need to make some adjustments. If you get the car handling well with the 4 and understand why you won't have any problems making the necessary adjustments.
You will also be able to work on your driving before you add a lot of power. Ever notice how pro drivers start with low powered cars and move up? The best generally don't move up until they excel driving the little cars.
Take your time and enjoy it.

Kelly

This fall I will start looking for front suspension parts, I plan to go with Eric Shea's 5 Lug for the rear.

My car looks good from 20ft, but when youget close blink.gif laugh.gif but I wub.gif it.
J P Stein
The SCCA AX rules do not treat hot rod 914s kindly.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Apr 19 2005, 10:47 AM)
The SCCA AX rules do not treat hot rod 914s kindly.

True, I will run in SM2 with the other /6 conversions. Most of the TTOD is either a 70 911 in SM2 or the 74 714 /6 coversion in SM2.
anthony
I know, I know, its cheaper in the long run to buy one that is done but hey, wheres the fun in that  

$25K later and you'll have a conversion that is worth $15K. Just find a nice real six now. Even with putting a 3L or 3.2L engine in a real six, you'll come out about the same money wise and have a car that is worth $10K more.

I've thought about doing this to my car for the longest time and finally came to the conclusion that it's not worth it. For $12K I bought a super nice, low mileage SC which satisfies the need for speed somewhat and I think I'm going to go the 2056. After getting a ride in a car with a fresh 120hp 2056 I'm convinced that it's what I want for my 914 for the immediate future. And if the right 914-6 came along I'd probably sell the four and step up.

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (anthony @ Apr 19 2005, 12:06 PM)
I know, I know, its cheaper in the long run to buy one that is done but hey, wheres the fun in that  

$25K later and you'll have a conversion that is worth $15K. Just find a nice real six now. Even with putting a 3L or 3.2L engine in a real six, you'll come out about the same money wise and have a car that is worth $10K more.

I've thought about doing this to my car for the longest time and finally came to the conclusion that it's not worth it. For $12K I bought a super nice, low mileage SC which satisfies the need for speed somewhat and I think I'm going to go the 2056. After getting a ride in a car with a fresh 120hp 2056 I'm convinced that it's what I want for my 914 for the immediate future. And if the right 914-6 came along I'd probably sell the four and step up.

I'm not worried about what it is worth to anyone else after I am done with it, its a car, not an investment. I just know to me it will be worth a $1000000, and when I'm gone it will be passed on to my son. What he does with it at that point I don't care.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.